Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think this buck was shot, or got hurt some other way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all. The above thoughts are all the ones that have been bouncing through my head on this one.

We have one that looked much worse last year - one of his front legs looked like it had been broken / damaged at some point in time (hit by a vehicle is what we were thinking), but had healed up and seemed to be hobbling along just fine - although his leg looks crooked. I no longer see him at my own feeders, but it may have to do with me putting up the fencing to keep the cows and horses away from the corn. He may not be able to jump over it. But the next door neighbor saw him late this last season.

My worry is that someone took a bad shot on this one. I'm thinking the shot was last season or earlier, but the wound on his back is recent (or) just keeps getting re-opened when he goes under / jumps over a fence. In one of the pictures (showing his right side), there seems to be a flap of skin / hair towards the front of the wound.

All the best,
    Glenn

Comment

I would guess shot in the shoulder which prevented him from jumping fences for a while and limited his range of motion and clearance going under them, thus creating the second wound on top from constant fence rubbing....

Comment

i believe it was shot

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
          I would guess shot in the shoulder which prevented him from jumping fences for a while and limited his range of motion and clearance going under them, thus creating the second wound on top from constant fence rubbing....
          That's well thought out. That very well may be the case.... but he did jump my pen fence to get to the corn. It's shorter than the property perimeter fence though, so it may not be as tough for him to jump over.

All the best,
          Glenn

Comment

Shot while going under a fence

Comment

[QUOTE=cajuntec;11464354]I keep looking at this buck. It appears he has a shoulder injury that looks fairly healed up, but it looks like a fresh wound on his back / spine area. Wondering if he got shot and the area on his back just isn't healing up, or if these were two separate injuries. I know nothing is definitive. Just wondering what you would guess caused this:

Don't know what happened. The lower part of the left shoulder looks like it might have healed from some type of wound / battle scar.

Comment

looks like an arrow wound to me

Comment

Somebody probably shooting a Rage broadhead. Seriously the best answer was shot while going under a fence wire. That pretty much covered it.

Comment

My guess would be an arrow wound and the broad head and nock ends broke off and the remaining part of the shaft is under the skin and keeps poking out one side.

Comment

Working...
                    X