Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stories gar guy

Comment

Another question for you.....when you first went in there to set a camera were you scared you might bump them out this area?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        I honestly believe, I could kill this deer in an hours time. Gonna be a little different getting Dad in there without the deer knowing it but I have a plan.

Looking forward to LDPs!

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Another question for you.....when you first went in there to set a camera were you scared you might bump them out this area?
          PM coming

Comment

I missed this thread originally. I've only made it to page 3, but am marking it so I can come back. I'm hooked! Great reading, Steve. Thanks for taking the time to write these and share them with us. A wealth of knowledge is within these pages.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaHFD View Post
              Man I'd love for you to teach me the ways to ETX success. I've been getting my butt kicked for the last couple of years
              That's the only reason I posted this thread. I wanted to share how to hunt pressured deer. You can read all over this forum how every lease has a ghost buck that just gets seen once a year and never comes out in daylight. The truth is, he is SOMEWHERE in daylight and when you figure out where, he will never be more predictable. You can see him come marching in at 11am, thrashing brush and stomping the ground. Or....you can sit at the feeder and pray he shows up with a doe at last light.

Comment

Keep the stories and pics coming. Good stuff. Good luck to Dad

Comment

That's the only reason I posted this thread. I wanted to share how to hunt pressured deer. You can read all over this forum how every lease has a ghost buck that just gets seen once a year and never comes out in daylight. The truth is, he is SOMEWHERE in daylight and when you figure out where, he will never be more predictable. You can see him come marching in at 11am, thrashing brush and stomping the ground. Or....you can sit at the feeder and pray he shows up with a doe at last light.
                  I've been trying to self teach myself how to hunt these thick ETX woods and I do not use a feeder. Example......The small property I got permission to hunt this season in NW Trinity Co (no lease) is very very thick. How are you picking these spots the deer are using? How are figuring what wind to hunt these spots and how the deer are coming and going? How do you get a camera set without spooking them out of the area?? Hahaha I have so many questions, sorry but I truly admire hunters like you sir.

Comment

One day buddy I'm dragging you to Mexico and you're gonna sit at my campfire!

Comment

I've been trying to self teach myself how to hunt these thick ETX woods and I do not use a feeder. Example......The small property I got permission to hunt this season in NW Trinity Co (no lease) is very very thick. How are you picking these spots the deer are using? How are figuring what wind to hunt these spots and how the deer are coming and going? How do you get a camera set without spooking them out of the area?? Hahaha I have so many questions, sorry but I truly admire hunters like you sir.

The biggest part of this comes in finding them after deer season when they've been pressured the most. Go in and find their beds, with any luck you'll jump him and see him. Commit that spot to memory and you have 9 months to decide how to tweet it to where you can hunt it.

When you find a bed, the bed in itself will tell you what direction wind to hunt him.

Almost none of this will be learned in a days scouting trip. My favorite DCNF stand took me 3 years to put the puzzle together. When I did, I put an arrow in a 160's giant.

Every time you walk into the woods you need to be able to write a 2pg essay on what you learned... Even if you don't see an animal.

It's easy to get disgusted when you get your teeth kicked in day in and day out. The biggest mistake I see is guys not having the confidence to leave a spot because they're getting pics of "him" every NIGHT. He won't be fat from where you're getting pics. You have GOT to find where he lives, not where he's going.

Comment

Man I'd love for you to teach me the ways to ETX success. I've been getting my butt kicked for the last couple of years
                        x2!

Comment

Totally off the wall. Cant describe it without someone finding it.

They aren't bedding under a pole barn are they?

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                            They aren't bedding under a pole barn are they?
                            HEY! too much info already! LOL

Comment

A few weeks ago, I showed Jooger17 a spot way back behind a big thick bedding area in the DCNF where there are about 30 big whiteoaks. Its a pain to get in there but when the acorns are falling in that sanctuary, the bucks always cover it up.

This evening He knew conditions were right and he sneaked in there this evening with carefull consideration to the wind. No stomping , trimming brush, hanging stands.. Just get in, set up quietly around 330pm. At 411pm a big 6.5 year old stud came stomping in , hooking bushes as he came. Here we are a full week into gun season in a heavily pressured part of the DCNF. The old buck came rolling in without a care in the world with the sun shining on him. He got a ride in Steves truck.

Maybe Steve will comment here but that's the way its done. No sneaking in right at last light. Big buck stompin in! Congrats Steve.

Comment

Proof in the pudding

Comment

Working...
                                X