Dove Field Sunflowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove Field Sunflowers

We are looking to establish 50 acres of native sunflowers in southern Coleman County. Does anyone have any strategies for planting, seed recommendations, timing, etc.? We have some wild sunflowers, but the fields were spayed last spring and have cotton stubble now.

Any advice is welcome.

Too late to plant this year for native. I believe it’s 10# per acre.... and the seed is outrageous!!!!.... like $300+ a bag=5ac last we bought. Might disk and hope for old seed in the ground to grow.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Timing is a challenge this year. We have a local ranger with a grass lease that does not expire until April 1 so we are looking at short term and long term opportunities.

Comment

Short term and in that time frame, plant black oil sunflowers and pearl head millet. Waaayyy cheaper. You could plant for years before the cost of native balances out

Comment

PM Brazosboyt here.

Thank me later.

Comment

I plant both typically fiat 2 weeks of May and have fields that produce by sept 1 and carry through to later in the first season

Comment

Id look into planting a black oil sunflower as mentioned above. Im going to plant peredovik sunflowers in the next few weeks. I'm paying about $30 per 50#. Its crazy watching the whitewings hang on the heads as they eat the seeds.....

Comment

Last year we just disced up our sunflower field from the previous year and they came back strong.

Comment

Working...
                X