Miter table / work bench top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miter table / work bench top

Slowly making progress on finishing out my shop. About to start on a 16 foot bench with built in miter saw. What have you used for wood bench tops? I am worried about moisture as the shop can sweat pretty good at times. Thinking 3/4 sanded or maybe birch. Thoughts?

Green screen is slipping.....multiple responses on who gets last slice of pizza and nothing on building a miter table.

Comment

What about using a joiner to true up several 16ft treated 4”x4” posts, then clamp them together side by side and drill 1/2” diameter holes holes all the way through and use long carriage bolts to pull them together. Then plane the surface. Then place a sanded sheet of 1/2” finish surface wood over the top. You’d have a heavy duty work top that shouldn’t warp or be susceptible to moisture and have a replaceable finished surface that could be swapped out for new as it gets gouged and worn with use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Google Paulk miter stand.

Comment

Fair warning, you will want to build the paulk workbench next.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            What about using a joiner to true up several 16ft treated 4”x4” posts, then clamp them together side by side and drill 1/2” diameter holes holes all the way through and use long carriage bolts to pull them together. Then plane the surface. Then place a sanded sheet of 1/2” finish surface wood over the top. You’d have a heavy duty work top that shouldn’t warp or be susceptible to moisture and have a replaceable finished surface that could be swapped out for new as it gets gouged and worn with use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Thank you.....that would be heavy for sure!!!

Comment

I have used 3/4 sanded for my shop tables. took the idea from this youtube video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZpzrDZrZg"]Simple Miter Station Build. Easy Shop Project! - YouTube[/ame]

Paulk is nice too.

Ill take a picture of mine tomorrow.
              Last edited by mmoses; 03-03-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

This is how I did my miter station. I was going to do a fence but decided to just put in a t track so I can put in a stop block if needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

One of my best tables was one I built off a free solid door off craigslist.. you could beat a crankshaft bearing off on that sucker and it wouldn't budge. Dress it w a piece of stainless sheet and u are in for cheap

Comment

Working...
                  X