Soffit exhaust fan - In search of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soffit exhaust fan - In search of

Before I had my roof replaced I had two exhaust fans mounted on my roof that would automatically turn on when it hit a threshold temperature in my attic.
    We replaced the roof with a standing seam metal roof and my amazing and beautiful home decorator (wife) demanded that they not go back on her brand new metal roof. So, I have had a couple of summers with out an attic vent/fan. I have only casually searched for an exhaust fan to be mounted in the soffit that would perform the same task.
    Does anyone have a recommendation?

I found this - https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/h...waApkCEALw_wcB

Anyone have experience with this product?

Suggest a ridge vent installed on the roof and keep all of the soffit vents as continuous as possible. Zero electricity cost to operate.

Comment

The link isn't showing me any vents (only plastic bins).

I'm not sure that a soffit vent could ever be as effective simply because of its location. They make plenty of vents and fans that would not stand out like the old school stuff.
      Last edited by TeamAmerica; 02-18-2019, 07:58 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
        Suggest a ridge vent installed on the roof and keep all of the soffit vents as continuous as possible. Zero electricity cost to operate.
        The roofing company stated that they installed a ridge vent but it doesn't look like there is enough of a rise in the ridge cap to be venting much. I was going to take a pic but it didn't come out clear in this morning's rain.

Are there options for powered ridge vents?
        I already have power in two locations from the old style roof mounted fans that I had on the old roof.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
          The roofing company stated that they installed a ridge vent but it doesn't look like there is enough of a rise in the ridge cap to be venting much. I was going to take a pic but it didn't come out clear in this morning's rain.

Are there options for powered ridge vents?
          I already have power in two locations from the old style roof mounted fans that I had on the old roof.
          Check manufacturer specs and ensure the contactor cut back the ridge vent accordingly. It's one of the most common errors in production building.

Comment

Be very careful of powered attic fans. If your attic isn’t extremely well ventilated, they can make it go negative, which essentially will draw up conditioned air through any penetration into the home. This absolutely kills you home efficiency and indoor air quality. Good ridge and soffit vents are typically plenty as the attic breathes naturally.

Comment

Did they do all the math (sq footage of roof, volume of attic, size of ridge vents, etc) and compare to the number/size of your soffit vents? If not, you may need a few more soffit vents to insure adequate ventilation.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                be very careful of powered attic fans. If your attic isn’t extremely well ventilated, they can make it go negative, which essentially will draw up conditioned air through any penetration into the home. This absolutely kills you home efficiency and indoor air quality. Good ridge and soffit vents are typically plenty as the attic breathes naturally.
                ^^^^^
                this

Comment

Is your roof hip or gable?

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                    Is your roof hip or gable?
                    Hip

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      Did they do all the math (sq footage of roof, volume of attic, size of ridge vents, etc) and compare to the number/size of your soffit vents? If not, you may need a few more soffit vents to insure adequate ventilation.
                      Most likely not. I don't remember this even coming up in the conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        Be very careful of powered attic fans. If your attic isn’t extremely well ventilated, they can make it go negative, which essentially will draw up conditioned air through any penetration into the home. This absolutely kills you home efficiency and indoor air quality. Good ridge and soffit vents are typically plenty as the attic breathes naturally.
                        I could see this happening...
                        I haven't changed any of the soffit vents. With the old roof and the two roof mounted exhaust fans it would keep the attic much cooler than it is now with the standing seam roof and the ridge vent today.

Comment

Maximize the soffit vents. Always.

Comment

Working...
                          X