Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming elk applications

That time of the year already.
    Wyoming elk applications are due by Jan 31.
    The WG&F Hunt Planner has info up for 2021.
    Check your PP totals and the draw odds.

As before I am happy to answer questions if I can. Plenty of folks on here to also give advice that have hunted in Wyoming.
    It will be interesting to see what the draw odds are this coming year, last year was a crap shoot so to speak.
    General elk tags are not bad hunting in Wyoming, don't be afraid to try on a general license.

I am still in the points buying stage. Think I will buy point #7 in 2021. Getting closer.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Think this will be the year I finally cash in points. Just a question of which species.

Comment

Holding off on the elk this year but will probably do deer or/and antelope

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. Going to continue to build PP's for elk and deer but it's darn near time to cash in on the antelope PP's with 8 currently.

Good luck to all who do put into the draw.

Comment

You all putting in for deer and pronghorn, wait until they have the seasons and quotas set in late Spring, April , to apply.
            We could have winterkill that affects license quotas. That would greatly affect your drawing odds.

Sounds like 3 PP at least is needed for a general tag, LQ will take a bunch .

Comment

I think I will have 4 points this year. How many will it take before I will be able to draw a decent unit? I haven't done any research for Wyoming yet.

Comment

Building points to head back to Q Creek for a pronghorn hunt one day.

Are the mountains in the West still the prime elk draw locations? I’ll build points for a few more years before trying for anything in Wyoming though.

Comment

NW is known for the big bulls on public land, migration type hunts in big country.
                  Good elk hunting south in Wyoming Range but lots of deer hunters to contend with.
                  Bighorns are also known for archery hunting success.
                  Laramie Peak is a big bull area but really needs to be outfitted in there and it's expensive, some public land but most private and one outfitter has over 250,000 acres of private owned land.

I think you need about 9-10 PP to get a good LQ area, some take more.
                  General license should be drawn with 3 PP, and you have the option to put in for the Special draw, higher price for better odds in both general and LQ areas.

4-5 PP can get you a good public land pronghorn hunt and our public land hunting is great in most areas, ones with plenty of access to public land.
                  Hoping this winter treats the pronghorn ok, some of their winter range is not in great shape due to dry summer.

Comment

Lord, I hate the "Points" system/lottery. I understand it, but think it negates a younger hunter from ever being able to draw a prime unit.

Comment

I agree.
                      I wish everything was random but it does help with drawing hard to get tags and keeps some folks from drawing many of them over their lifetime. We have very few once in a lifetime tags in Wyoming.
                      Residents have resisted the call for PP for us on elk and deer, thankfully.

Comment

I still apply, but the fees make Wyoming elk an expensive proposition when applying for LQ with low points. I burned maximum points in 2016.

Pay to play baby!

Comment

I’m still building for deer, elk and pronghorn. Thinking about going the guided route for elk in 2 years.

Comment

I have 16 points built up. I may try to draw next year. Is there an area and outfitter yall would recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I only have 2 points in everything but can’t decide about continuing to build. Their price increases are making other states a lot more attractive so may just cut my losses on WY

Comment

Working...
                              X