Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 10-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
Brad96
Four Point

Hunt In: Normangee, TX & Tishomingo, OK
Default Simple desk from weathered 2x12's & old steel

For the first 6 months of COVID-19, I moved my laptop around from the dining room table, to the breakfast table, to an old sewing machine. Finally, I decided that this work-from-home thing is going to last a little while, and I need a dedicated desk or table to set up at. I didn't really want to buy some cheap particle board junk from a big box store, so I looked at Etsy for homemade furniture. I really liked this desk by IndustEvo, but was a little put off by the $874 price, and the fact that it is made to LOOK like reclaimed wood, without actually using any reclaimed materials. I'm not knocking the company. They make some beautiful furniture, and the price is probably fair for what it is. I just got to thinking that I could probably use some old materials that I have lying around, and build it the way I want it. In other words, I'm an incurable DIYer.
Attached Images

Brad96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Brad96
Four Point

Just to be clear, the above picture is NOT my handiwork! This was just my inspiration.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Brad96
Four Point

Default building materials

OK, so I got to looking around my hunting property for materials. Here's what I found. The first picture I posted already, in a related thread: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=782160

I pulled some old 2x12's off of what remained from an old mower shed, and some steel from the hand rails of an old dock.

To me, the desk is more interesting if I can build it from materials that I found on my land, rather than buying new stuff from Home Depot.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Nice in for the finished product!
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Brad96
Four Point

Default rough-cutting and joining boards

I figured that a 48" wide x 24" deep desk would be enough for my laptop, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. So, I rough-cut two of the 2x12's to just over 48" long with the circular saw. One of the 2x12's had a "live edge" on it, so I thought it would be fun to include that on the front of the desk.

Of course, the boards weren't straight, so I had to cut a thin strip from one long edge of each one, before joining them together. I did that with the circular saw and a piece of extruded Al clamped down as a cutting guide. The first pic is those 2 boards sitting side-by-side and right-side-up on the floor of my garage.

I don't need the joint to be very strong, because I'm going to tie everything together with steel. But, I do need them to stay together while I do some additional work on them, before adding the steel.

I decided to do a spline joint, so I bought a 3/8" high x 3/8" deep slot cutter for my 1/4" chuck router. I didn't have any 3/8" thick wood laying around, so I thinned some 7/16" plywood with the router and cut it to 3/4" width with the circular saw. Wow, that was time-consuming. I should have just bought some 3/8" thick wood.

Then, I discovered that the 3 pieces didn't fit together. The spline fit nicely into the slot in each 2x12, but not into both at the same time. That's because the boards have different bows in the long direction. So, I painstakingly trimmed the spline and the slots with a wood rasp, until I could force-fit them together.

After gluing them together, I realized that the desk wasn't deep enough. Of course, 2x12's are only 11.25" wide (not 12"), minus the live edge, minus the little bit that I cut off to get straight edges. So, I cut a 4" wide strip from a third 2x12. This time, I was lazy and didn't bother with the spline joint. I just cut a straight edge on both boards, and did a butt joint with wood glue.

In the second picture, the desk top is upside-down, with all 3 pieces glued together. You can see some of my test finishes from the other thread, in the back corners. Since it's on the underside, I'm not too worried.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Oh yeah that will work!
Old 10-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

That is gonna be pretty nice.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
Brad96
Four Point

Default we need steel

Thanks, SC338.

At this point, I had a heavy slab of wood held together by weak glue joints, so I needed to add some steel.

I cut two pieces of ugly 1.5" angle iron (from the dock handrail) to 25" long, which is the depth of the desk. These are going on the underside, to tie the 3 pieces of lumber together. But as you can see in this next picture, the underside of the desk is not flat at all, because the thickness of the wood varies so much. I was afraid that if I screwed a straight piece of angle to this uneven surface, something would break. So, I used the router to cut a couple of grooves in the wood. I laid a couple of flat strips of steel over the wood, to provide a smooth surface for the router to glide over. And I clamped some extruded Al to the wood, to guide my cuts, so they would be sort of straight.

These grooves should provide a better surface to mount the steel angle on the bottom of the desktop, so I don't crack the wood.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
Brad96
Four Point

Default with bottom angles

Here it is with the steel angles temporarily attached to the bottom of the desktop using some #6x1.25" drywall screws. I'll through-bolt it later. The legs will be welded to these angles eventually.

With everything tied together like this, I trimmed the short ends of the 2x12's nice and straight. Again, with the circular saw and a piece of Al for a guide.

Unfortunately, I damaged the live edge when I was clamping the 3 pieces of wood together. That edge was already a little soft in places. So, I had to trim most of it away, to get a front edge that's clean and won't crumble later during use.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I drilled a 1.25" hole for cords, and rounded its edges with the router. Unfortunately, I did that before realizing that I needed to add the third piece of wood, so the hole is not as far back as I had wanted it.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Following. Gonna be pretty cool.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Brad96
Four Point

Default end angles

Next, I used the router to cut down the top surface at the ends, for my angle iron end caps. This time, I remembered to take a picture before removing the C-clamps, so you can see my (somewhat crude) setup for doing this.

On the other end, the desktop was not as flat, so I had to put shims under that flat strap, to create a fairly flat surface to guide the router. Otherwise, the router follows the frown-face shape of the desktop, and then the straight piece of angle doesn't fit it well.

I also used the router to round over that sharp outer edge of the wood that's nearest the camera, since the steel angle has a "fillet" radius on the inside.

Next picture is with that angle sitting loosely in place.

In the third pic, I'm not gluing anything together. Just trying to hold the angle pieces tightly in place while I drill holes through the wood. I'm using countersunk screws, so the heads won't protrude too much.

Unfortunately for you, that brings this thread up to the present day. Since I'm slow, the "real time" updates are not going to be as fast, going forward from here. But, I'm excited about this table. And, if I know that people are watching this thread, that helps to keep me motivated to get it done. Thanks for following along.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

only thing better than a DIY is one made with leftover scraps. get that to the finish line and share some finished pics!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #13
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

Great idea, I can't wait to see it finished!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #14
Agdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka County, OK

In for the finish!
Agdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #15
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

following !
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Can't wait to see the finished product
Old 10-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #17
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

awesome build so far
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #18
texan16
Pope & Young

Coming along really nice. Ready to see the end product.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #19
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Me Likey
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 12:11 AM   #20
JMart76
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill country

Very nice thought about making a desk with old fencing and This metal stand I found at a lease. Looking forward to seeing your finished product!
JMart76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 05:17 AM   #21
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Looking forward to the finished table
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #22
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Lookin good so far! You gonna leave the steel rusty and seal it? Would go good with the rustic look I think.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #23
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Get to work on that thing already! lol
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #24
Brad96
Four Point

Default How to finish the steel pieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
Lookin good so far! You gonna leave the steel rusty and seal it? Would go good with the rustic look I think.
Thanks, and good question. I like the look of the metal as-is, but I'm afraid that it might continue to rust under the epoxy, if I leave it as-is.

So, I'm thinking about removing the rust and painting it. Maybe a thick coat of rusty metal primer, followed by a thin coat of satin black, or something like that.

The other idea that I've toyed with is to take the steel down to bare metal, and then blacken it with a torch and vegetable oil. I tried that on a small sample, and liked the look. Kind of like an old cast iron skillet. I'm not sure if the epoxy will adhere to that finish, though.

I'm open to ideas.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #25
gwellstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt Co.

Following this build!
gwellstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #26
rtarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

Looking fantastic so far!

Todd
rtarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #27
Brad96
Four Point

Default small progress...

I don't have much progress to show, but I did get these 1.5 x 1/8" steel straps cut in, drilled, and mounted to the underside of the desktop.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any good donor material for these pieces, so I had to buy them new. OnlineMetals.com to the rescue.

Hopefully, I can make some more progress on it this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #28
Brad96
Four Point

Default a little progress

I didn't spend as much time in the garage as I had hoped this weekend, but I did finish adding steel to the desktop. It looks kind of odd now with a mix of old and new steel, but both will be finished the same way, so that will go away.

I'm questioning whether it was a good idea to retain the live edge on the one board, since it forces me to do some strange things where the steel meets that rounded edge. We'll see in the end how that turns out.

I think it's time to start adding legs next.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #29
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Coming along real nice on this cool project. This is looking awesome.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #30
Brad96
Four Point

Default legs

Welding the 1x2" steel legs to the underside angles. Trying to get them all to the same height, and perpendicular to the table/floor. There's probably a better way to do this, but I couldn't think of it.

Next, I'll add some braces between the legs for stability.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #31
texan16
Pope & Young

Dang near got it licked now. That is gonna be a cool table man.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #32
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Once you are finished, how about an estimate of the hours involved in the build?

Just interested--
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #33
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman, Ok

Very nice job!!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #34
Tsnow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes Co. / Junction TX

Cool table, any updates?
Tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #35
Carpe_diem
Ten Point

Hunt In: Taylor, Fisher, Jones Counties and TPW draw hunts

It's coming along nicely, good job!
Carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #36
Brad96
Four Point

Default Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Once you are finished, how about an estimate of the hours involved in the build?

Just interested--
Hmmm, good idea, but I haven't kept track of my hours at all. I can say that it's taken a LOT longer than I had expected. Every detail takes longer than normal, when working with old, warped wood, and old, rusty metal.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #37
Brad96
Four Point

Default Structurally Complete

Thanks! I really appreciate all the compliments and encouraging comments.

I did get the leg braces welded on, so the table is now structurally complete. Time to take it back apart to start removing rust and painting steel.

Check out this bullet hole that I found when I was measuring a piece of square tube for the back leg brace. I didn't notice it when I was harvesting metal from the dock hand rails, but saw it when I was getting ready to cut the tube to fit the table. I could have cut it out, welded it up, or used a different piece of tubing. But, this table is all about the interesting character of older materials, so I left it in. I just turned the sharp bits toward the back, so that I won't scratch myself if I put my bare feet up on that back brace.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #38
Brad96
Four Point

Default Painting

This next step is a little sad. I painted over the beautiful brown-and-white patina of the old steel angle, and the rusty square tube. I could never have duplicated that look on the new steel, and thought it would look weird to have the old and new metal mismatched.

So, I took the worst of the rust off with a small wire wheel on my drill, and wiped everything with mineral spirits. Then, applied a solid coating of Rust-oleum rusty metal primer, followed by a light coat of satin black. The light coat left a little bit of variation in the surface finish. I didn't think that a solid coat of gloss black would go well with the old wood, but also didn't want to go to all the trouble of a faux rust finish.

I also lightly burned the wood with a small torch, only where bare sawn wood was exposed, to darken it up a bit.

So, here it is, reassembled and waiting for the epoxy clear coat. I'm going to give the paint a little more time to fully cure before I start with the epoxy.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #39
texan16
Pope & Young

Very nice !!!
Old 11-07-2020, 07:14 AM   #40
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

In for the final. Looks really good.

.....and God Bless America.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #41
MikeyG
Ten Point

Now the question stands.....how much would you sell this for? More or less than $874?
If I had the time/skill to put into something like that, I can almost guarantee I would try to sell it for more (if I were going to sell it).

and for the record, I am very impressed with your work - that is a beautiful piece.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #42
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Very nice
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #43
Brad96
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Now the question stands.....how much would you sell this for? More or less than $874?
If I had the time/skill to put into something like that, I can almost guarantee I would try to sell it for more (if I were going to sell it).

and for the record, I am very impressed with your work - that is a beautiful piece.
Great question. I was just thinking about that the other day. Now that it's almost finished, if someone were to offer me $874 for the table, I would have to think about it pretty hard. Even if it's not quite professional quality, I have a bunch of hours invested in this thing.

I'm still glad I built it instead of buying one. But, the price from IndustEvo doesn't seem so crazy now.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #44
Brad96
Four Point

Default Clear on bottom

For everyone waiting for the final pictures, we're almost there!

I've never worked with this epoxy clear coat stuff before, so I started on the bottom of the desk. I'm using Kleer Koat by U.S. Composites. It looks wet in the picture, but that has already cured. It's just super glossy, like water. It also darkened the color of the wood as it wet the surface, which I wasn't expecting. This stuff is messy to work with, but I knew to expect that.

I wrote my name and date and where the materials came from on the bottom wood, and embedded a couple of pictures in the epoxy. Just in case this table is still in use by somebody after I'm gone, and they're curious about where it came from.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #45
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I like it, pretty nice looking.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #46
Brad96
Four Point

Default Finished!

It's finally done. Unfortunately, I ran out of epoxy while doing the "flood coat" on top, so the top surface is not nearly as smooth as the bottom. It's not real obvious unless you're looking for it, though. I can always sand it down and add another coat of epoxy to smooth it out. Not right now, though. I'm behind on other projects.

Thanks for following along! I'll post a list of lessons-learned later.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #47
Blane
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lexington

Sharp work.
Blane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #48
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

Bang up job. Very nice!
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #49
Mary
Administrator

Wow...love it. Really nice work!
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #50
texan16
Pope & Young

That turned out really nice man, you will enjoy that for a long time.