No announcement yet.

More hunting pressure with covid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a couple of guys have mentioned, I know of several guys(10 or so) that basically moved out to their lease for 2-3 weeks at a time. I have a HS classmate, ex military retired that was laid off from his current job in Illinois and he moved to his lease in Texas for the entire season, starting in September.

Some of my work contacts that have been quarantined, or as they call it, "Coronacation", have gone out hunting or fishing for their 10-14 day stint, all paid by the way. I know 2 guys that are on their 3rd stint, and still getting paid.

Comment

I am friends with two processors. They both had a 30% jump in deer brought in this season. The one I use because it's convenient to my house doubled their sales. So, you're definitely onto something there.

Comment

Outdoor activities across the board are waaaay up....which is wonderful. I definitely "have not" noticed more nocturnal activity however.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
          Some lived at ours....

Weeks on end they never left. Lol
          Ditto. Go figure, it was the new guy lol........

Comment

I’ve never seen so many deer in a season. Processors shut down twice due to volume
            I could have killed deer every sit but 2, but never spent 1 second looking at a feeder

Comment

I don’t know, you’d have to ask the frickin timber cutters that moved in the first week of November and moved out the first week of January.

Comment

Maybe a little more deer hunting going on since there wasn’t much else (social) to do.

A lot less duck hunting since people aren’t traveling/packing in from out of state. Thank God

Comment

I dont think there was more hunting pressure at my lease. I hunted a couple more times but the other guys probably hunted less.

Our pressure was before season when a rancher decided to do some hog hunting by helicopter. Everyone was like go for it but now I wish we didn't. Must have pushed the deer off. Before that happened I had a couple decent bucks. After they have yet to return. That was Sept. He wanted to do it again this weekend but is holding off until Monday since I'm going to be trying to get one last doe.

Comment

Including dove season, I've probably hunted close to 40 days this year.

Family Thanksgiving was cancelled, Christmas was done quickly. Had 3 trips where I was here 7+ days at a time.

Last weekend of general and I've yet to shoot a deer. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
                      I had more encounters with other hunters in the first couple of days hunting public land this year than I had in the 10 years prior.

Largely Covid, and partly due to the popularity of DIY public land hunting shows and channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I’ll second this. My deer sightings vs the last 4 years are down around 70%, while hunter sightings are probably up 200% and the number of stands I’ve found is up at least 600%.

Comment

My processor by 2nd week of rifle was not taking any more deer. When I picked up my sausage, he said this has been an insane year. Way more people went hunting then in years passed.

Comment

Deer sightings were way down too for me, the ones still alive went nocturnal due to pressure. Multiple DNR's in other states are reporting record harvest #'s and thats just what being reported not what was shot this spring when SH#$ hit the fan. Wisconsin was up 16% from last year, NY set a record for # of deer harvested and thats just a few reports I've seen this past week.

Comment

I also think people were shooting more deer to stock up the freezer for the unknown. I usually put up 3-4 but put up 7 this year

Comment

Yes. Camping at several state parks this fall/winter, lots more shooting going on. Also crazy busy in Idaho elk hunting. Luckily a lot of folks were afraid to leave the trail.

Comment

After squirrel hunting Sam Houston, I took my stepdad from LA through the main portion and we probably saw about 80 pickups at least throughout the main portion. Which was a lot more than what I saw last weekend of last year

Comment

Working...
                                X