$15 minimum wage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
    Good question. But then why do we need regulations period? Why do we need unions? Why did we need to legislate equal pay? Just a few examples.

I guess because left to our own devices, we won't/don't always do the right thing. Slightly tangential, I've always questioned the debate when we argue pro-business and the left argues pro (bigger government) as though both are made up of people and it is people who are corrupted by wealth and power. Not business or government.

I guess my answer is because in terms of wages, I know of no other way to establish what is fair other than establishing some basic minimum wage. Otherwise, there would be people paying as little as they could and in the competition for profits, others (not all) would follow suit.
    Yessir, been proven over history! WE will not deaux what is right for our employees/serfs/peasants/indentured servants/or slaves, just a undeniable truth. Guardrails are always needed to insure some level of civility......which still favors the biggest fish in the sea. I mentioned the Robber Barron's like Carnegie, Chase, Rockefeller earlier but we can geaux back further and see the same trends. None of us like or want over reach by any government entity but the world aint crashing [emoji849].

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

If we truly doubled the minimum wage I don't think it would accomplish that much other than obscene amounts of economic turbulence in the short term. It wouldn't level the playing field in the long term. All it would do is pick the filed up move it and drop it in another location. Housing in Dallas would cost what housing in LA does. Rural ETX would look like Dallas in terms of expense. It just cause a ripple effect throughout the economy that inflates everything. More chaos less stability. If the folks in power truly attempt to reach this far they might as well just pass a universal basic income.

I'm not economist and have not formal training in economics but this is what common sense from office chair is telling me right now. I could be very wrong.

Comment

So for all the business owners that think this isn’t a big deal or it’s a good idea please tell me why you aren’t already paying your employees $15+ / hour? Is it only virtuous when it’s mandated? If it’s all about doing the right thing why does anyone need to tell you to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Going to be a lot more covid and variants spread on those McD touch screen kiosks.

please excuse brevity and dictation errors.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
            So for all the business owners that think this isn’t a big deal or it’s a good idea please tell me why you aren’t already paying your employees $15+ / hour? Is it only virtuous when it’s mandated? If it’s all about doing the right thing why does anyone need to tell you to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            If my employees were worth $15 an hour, they’d be working somewhere else.
            I’m in the Seafood Biz... you probably can imagine my labor pool

Comment

Pay them $15, so they can see what not being able to afford milk looks like.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                If my employees were worth $15 an hour, they’d be working somewhere else.
                I’m in the Seafood Biz... you probably can imagine my labor pool
                Word

America is a place where you can make 7.00 or you can make a few thousand and hr.
                Some folks think they are worth something but reality is a *****.
                I hooked poles and dug ditches for10- 13 and hr and now make 28. It’s not much but I live in reality, and I’m the one that is worth 50 or more per hour.
                We have created a society of people who think they have worth ($$) but in reality, if they had been told the truth all their lives they’ed understand they should be happy with what ever they could get

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post

Yep
                    And the 15 will be training the customers how to work the kiosk
                    Then be looking for another job

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                      Ha, burger flippers aren't the only ones making less than $15 an hour. There's thousands of jobs that pay less than that. Some that are even skilled labor with licensing. Im one of them. However im against raising the minimum wage. You want more money, get a better job.
                      Like construction hands and heavy machine operators.

Comment

>
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          Word

America is a place where you can make 7.00 or you can make a few thousand and hr.
                          Some folks think they are worth something but reality is a *****.
                          I hooked poles and dug ditches for10- 13 and hr and now make 28. It’s not much but I live in reality, and I’m the one that is worth 50 or more per hour.
                          We have created a society of people who think they have worth ($$) but in reality, if they had been told the truth all their lives they’ed understand they should be happy with what ever they could get

These people that think they are worth more than they really are will soon find out they are worth less than they thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                            Does this mean I don’t have to tip at Sonic anymore?
                            Did we get an answer on this? What's the consensus?

Comment

While it can be argued the current minimum wage in TX is low, how many jobs are actually paying minimum wage? Between fast food joints and retail stores, many places actually pay more than the actual minimum.

With that said, increasing minimum wage to $15 is not going to solve anything. A lot of the cost will simply be passed down to the end consumer; for which, minimum wage earners are part of the end consumer group. Heck, for certain areas, such as an increase in fast food prices, that might actually impact the lower income demographics the most.

In addition, businesses will adapt, become more efficient or even cut their work forces back if possible. You already see this in certain respects today, especially in the retail and food industries. Here are a few examples -

- Self check-outs at grocery stores and retail stores
                              - kiosk for placing food orders at fast food joints
                              - self check-out at restaurants and some even allow ordering via touch screen at the table
                              - Apps on phones that allow ordering ahead (don't need an order taker)
                              - Self check-in at the airport
                              - Curb side pickup (this decreasing the need to have to stock retail shelves with inventory)

I'm sure there are many more examples. The bottom line is that businesses will find ways to either pass the cost down or become more efficient. Some jobs might just end up being eliminated as automation grows.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                                Does this mean I don’t have to tip at Sonic anymore?
                                Perhaps.

However, Sonic will probably stop putting cheese on the #1 without charging extra for it. RiverRat might agree with this change though.

Comment

Working...
                                X