Bow stand dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow stand dimensions

Fixing to start an octagon blind. Going to be made from 1" square tubing. Thinking about going with 3' wide sides with two vertical windows in each side. Is 3' too big for each side and is 12"x36" too big for a window? What is the "normal" size of a vertical window in a bow blind.

I have always hunted out of a tri-pod and have never shot through vertical windows in a bow blind, so I am just sitting in my office with a tape measure trying to come up with dimensions.

My vertical windows in my bow blind are 12”. I’m still able to stay concealed in the back. I’ve hunted stands with bigger and they let in more light so better chance of the deer seeing you back there. I’ve never needed bigger windows.

Comment

36” seems to be a bit much. 12” wide is fine. I’d got 24” tall at the most.

Comment

An octagon with sides of 3' will be just over 7' in diameter which is plenty big. Even if you are covering them with mesh I think 16 windows that big will let in way too much light. I would go with one on each panel no wider than 10" (I went with 8" wide by 12" tall) You might cut a hole that size in a piece of plywood and set it where you can look through it like a blind window. You might be surprised how much you can see throug a smaller hole.

Comment

Another thing about octagons - will the blind sit in a spot where you can really have a shot in all directions? I considered an octagon but went with a six-sided blind, flat on the sides and back. The three angled panels on the front allow almost 180 degrees of shooting which is all I need because the blind is surrounded on three sides by thick brush anyway
          Last edited by jerp; 01-15-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Like said above, only put one window in 3 adjacent sides. If you put windows all the way around(unless you can close them off where no light comes thru) it will let way too much light in and the critters will see every move you make in there!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Another thing about octagons - will the blind sit in a spot where you can really have a shot in all directions? I considered an octagon but went with a five-sided blind. The three angled panels on the front allow almost 180 degrees of shooting which is all I need because the blind is surrounded on three sides by thick brush anyway
              I have thought about that as well. I just keep telling myself to make sure I have a shot in all directions......just in case. The stand will most likely be permanent once it is set up (will be on a 5' platform) and I can always put black curtains up to "black out" windows not being used, but I would hate to miss a shot opportunity because I dont have a window on that side of the blind.

***I have a good idea where it is going to go, but dont know the exact location. It very well may end up tucked in some oaks and only have shot opportunities in the front and sides......but I am not sure yet**

Thanks for the tips, ideas, and advice.... any other things to think about are welcomed.
              Last edited by texan16; 01-15-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X