Why discuss, argue, debate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why discuss, argue, debate?

This was from another thread. Below the quote is my opinion.

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
    I used to come on this site and occasionally I drifted into topics where sometimes I felt the need to tell people why whatever I thought was right and whatever they thought was wrong.

I got over it.

If it helps you formulate your ideas and base platform, I guess that’s valuable. But I guarantee, you will enlighten no one. Not. One.

It’s like walking into a room full of preachers and telling them God doesn’t exist. What’s the point?

If you enjoy being that guy, go for it. Some day you might just realize the futility of it all.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't look at it as trying to change the mind of the opposing view. I see it more as a group of people talking with a large number of people just listening. It's the lurkers that need to hear both sides. It's pretty obvious that when only one side is spoken most people will believe it eventually.

Here's an example.

Take a stock thread. If we only allow positive posts on a high risk stock lots of people would get suckered in. If no one was allowed to say it's high risk or what will happen if this or that takes place etc. If they were told that if they don't like this stock why post at all about it? Sure you won't change the minds of the people who own that stock but you may help those looking to buy the hype.

So giving up and not speaking up about wrongs only hurts people in the middle. Lots of examples like the McRib - Should no one be allowed to argue it's no good? To bigger things like certain people being called out for lying that eventually scam lots of people. Or false religion - Should we allow a false religion thread to take place and not put in any negative thoughts? I mean why, you won't change their minds.

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    This was from another thread. Below the quote is my opinion.

I don't look at it as trying to change the mind of the opposing view. I see it more as a group of people talking with a large number of people just listening. It's the lurkers that need to hear both sides. It's pretty obvious that when only one side is spoken most people will believe it eventually.

Here's an example.

Take a stock thread. If we only allow positive posts on a high risk stock lots of people would get suckered in. If no one was allowed to say it's high risk or what will happen if this or that takes place etc. If they were told that if they don't like this stock why post at all about it? Sure you won't change the minds of the people who own that stock but you may help those looking to buy the hype.

So giving up and not speaking up about wrongs only hurts people in the middle. Lots of examples like the McRib - Should no one be allowed to argue it's no good? To bigger things like certain people being called out for lying that eventually scam lots of people. Or false religion - Should we allow a false religion thread to take place and not put in any negative thoughts? I mean why, you won't change their minds.
    I agree with your logic. Healthy discussion while presenting an opposing view is a positive thing. But once I've told them that the stock is risky, the McRib sucks, and Joseph Smith was a nut job, I have stated my opossing view. When it becomes obvious that someone is a Mormon who loves the Mcrib and high risk stocks, I am wasting my breath with them once I have presented my case. The healthy discussion part ceases and it devolves into emotionally based name calling or antagonizing. From both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
      I agree with your logic. Healthy discussion while presenting an opposing view is a positive thing. But once I've told them that the stock is risky, the McRib sucks, and Joseph Smith was a nut job, I have stated my opossing view. When it becomes obvious that someone is a Mormon who loves the Mcrib and high risk stocks, I am wasting my breath with them once I have presented my case. The healthy discussion part ceases and it devolves into emotionally based name calling or antagonizing. From both sides.
      Touche' sir!!![emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang it man my analogy was nowhere near that good. Excellent post

Comment

You lost me at the McRib comment. You’re obviously not rational and borderline retarded.[emoji849][emoji6]

Comment

But, what if the individual continues with different, undeniable lies, not just a one-time statement, but over and over and over again? If not countered, then these lies would continue and unconfronted, become truth in the eyes of many.

Comment

It is hard to change a mind now. No matter our stance, we have access to a mountain of supporting "evidence" through our computers and phones.

Loving conspiracy theories prepared me well for politics. If an argument is razor thin, better keep digging for more info.

Comment

One of my old marine corps buddies is polar opposite of me on pretty much every political and social side but we don't discuss that stuff, we get drunk and laugh and have fun. No way either of us will sway the other so we don't go down the path.

Comment

Once you learn that you can't reason someone out of what they don't reason themselves into your life will be more stress free. I got into a conversation today with a black coworker that believes what happened at the capital was insurrection and that we are in a civil war- believes that antifa is supported by Trump and called for the storming of the capital building and believes that BLM was formed because cops were killing blacks. I asked him if he truly believes that cops get up each day hoping they get to shoot a black man and his answer was "yes". I can't deal with people like that so my best recourse is to have as little contact as I can with this guy until he retires in April.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    you lost me at the mcrib comment. You’re obviously not rational and borderline retarded.[emoji849][emoji6]

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

Comment

Beans do not belong in chili unless you want beans in your chili

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                        Once you learn that you can't reason someone out of what they don't reason themselves into your life will be more stress free. I got into a conversation today with a black coworker that believes what happened at the capital was insurrection and that we are in a civil war- believes that antifa is supported by Trump and called for the storming of the capital building and believes that BLM was formed because cops were killing blacks. I asked him if he truly believes that cops get up each day hoping they get to shoot a black man and his answer was "yes". I can't deal with people like that so my best recourse is to have as little contact as I can with this guy until he retires in April.
                        just think, a whole bunch of those types are now running the country and they ain't g0nna retire anytime soon!

Comment

Yes, you are wasting your time with them. But not with people on the fence.

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                          It is hard to change a mind now. No matter our stance, we have access to a mountain of supporting "evidence" through our computers and phones.

Loving conspiracy theories prepared me well for politics. If an argument is razor thin, better keep digging for more info.
                          Again, not trying to change someone's mind that's already made up. Trying to help anyone listening to make the right choice.

Isn't this the exact reason everyone's upset what big tech is doing? We all know if left unchecked the masses start believing what they see and hear. We don't assume everyone's minds are made up. We instead keep screaming and showing how the MSM is lying.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Beans do not belong in chili unless you want beans in your chili
                            If you put fritos in chili with beans is it still chili?

Does Frito pie have beans?

Comment

I always figured the people doing the most of arguing and debating spend the fewest days in the woods each year.

People are so mad about the world they live it based off of things they're reading online they've forgotten to just go live. When you're out living a lot of these things just don't matter(yes I know there are things happening we should all be worried about for the future).

Comment

Working...
                              X