Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default Keto 2021

Anyone still doing Keto?? I started years back & stayed on it for a long time. I have been doing it on and off since then but want to make it the way I eat versus a "diet " I am on from time to time. I realize there are multiple threads already but decide to start a new one to share links to info, recipes and encouragement... I have been eating Keto for the last few days and feel like I am close to reaching the ketosis state already.

Here is one to the links I used to gather info back when I started:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
dhall1414
Four Point
 
dhall1414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sanger
Hunt In: Palo Pinto County
Default

I did keto the first time a few years back and ended up dropping about 80 lbs over 8 months. Mostly it stayed off but you really can't do keto as a diet. Pretty much has to be a lifestyle. I'll be starting hard core keto tomorrow to get ready for being married. The best tip I can think of is to not overdo the protein. It can get really easy if you don't stay on top of your counting.
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
twistedmidnite
Ten Point
 
twistedmidnite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gilmer, TX
Hunt In: texas
Default

I lost close to 50# in 4 months this past new years on keto/carnivore. But them proceeded to gain about 35# back with the lock down. I'm in the weight-loss challenge on here and I'm trying the carnivore again.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall1414 View Post
I did keto the first time a few years back and ended up dropping about 80 lbs over 8 months. Mostly it stayed off but you really can't do keto as a diet. Pretty much has to be a lifestyle. I'll be starting hard core keto tomorrow to get ready for being married. The best tip I can think of is to not overdo the protein. It can get really easy if you don't stay on top of your counting.
Best of luck getting back on it. Keep us posted.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

I did strict Keto starting Thanksgiving 2019 until June 2020. During that time I lost 70lbs. Starting in June 2020 I transitioned to more of a low Carb diet and did that until Thanksgiving 2020. I was able to not gain any weight from June to Thanksgiving. That was a first for me since I had basically either been all in or all out on a diet. It gave me the confidence to know that I can control my weight by having a "cheat meal" once a week or so, as long as I eat what I'm supposed to eat the rest of the week. I started back on Keto Jan 1 and I am looking forward to 2021.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
I lost close to 50# in 4 months this past new years on keto/carnivore. But them proceeded to gain about 35# back with the lock down. I'm in the weight-loss challenge on here and I'm trying the carnivore again.
Good luck on the challenge. I am only trying to get approximately 15-18 lbs off but the Keto lifestyle makes me feel really good.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
twistedmidnite
Ten Point
 
twistedmidnite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gilmer, TX
Hunt In: texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Good luck on the challenge. I am only trying to get approximately 15-18 lbs off but the Keto lifestyle makes me feel really good.
I agree on the feeling better. I didn't know how bad I really felt until I lost the weight. I'm a diabetic and it got me completely off my medication with low carb. I can tell now that iv put some weight back on that I need to get it back off lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
rut-ro
Ten Point
 
rut-ro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sugar Land
Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla
Default

It’s really easy to follow you just have to stick to it
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
JimPat
Four Point
 
JimPat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Default

went back on it today. Ate strict for over two years until Thanksgiving this year. Then completely fell off the wagon for the week; went back on for two weeks, fell off for Christmas and New Years.

Back on it and interested to see where I am fat-wise. Was 10.3% when I fell off it (I measure it every week).

For what it's worth: I went on it for my blood pressure. Doc was going to medicate me and I said, "no way; give me 90 days and I'll have it down." Ate Keto strict for a month and my BP went down to 125/71. Could NOT get my diastolic out of the 70's. For you "Girthy gentlemen" with diabetes, high blood pressure, or metabolic syndrome, you may want to give it a shot. Never felt or slept better.

Tough to stay on over the long haul but the alternative sucks. Also, feeling so good and having that amount of energy made it all worthwhile.
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPat View Post
went back on it today. Ate strict for over two years until Thanksgiving this year. Then completely fell off the wagon for the week; went back on for two weeks, fell off for Christmas and New Years.

Back on it and interested to see where I am fat-wise. Was 10.3% when I fell off it (I measure it every week).

For what it's worth: I went on it for my blood pressure. Doc was going to medicate me and I said, "no way; give me 90 days and I'll have it down." Ate Keto strict for a month and my BP went down to 125/71. Could NOT get my diastolic out of the 70's. For you "Girthy gentlemen" with diabetes, high blood pressure, or metabolic syndrome, you may want to give it a shot. Never felt or slept better.

Tough to stay on over the long haul but the alternative sucks. Also, feeling so good and having that amount of energy made it all worthwhile.
The sleeping part was a game changer for me!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 02:17 AM   #11
dhall1414
Four Point
 
dhall1414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sanger
Hunt In: Palo Pinto County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
The sleeping part was a game changer for me!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
After I'd been on keto hard core for 6 months my dentist and oral hygienist were raving about my teeth when I went for the check up. I was done in about 20 min and they said it was obvious I hadn't eaten any sugar and likely processed foods, which was true. Other than keto all I did was brush my teeth every morning.
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 06:13 AM   #12
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall1414 View Post
After I'd been on keto hard core for 6 months my dentist and oral hygienist were raving about my teeth when I went for the check up. I was done in about 20 min and they said it was obvious I hadn't eaten any sugar and likely processed foods, which was true. Other than keto all I did was brush my teeth every morning.
That is awesome. I never considered the benefits of very limited sugar for teeth as part of Keto.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #13
BradBryant1000
Ten Point
 
BradBryant1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Mason, TX
Default

So I'm kicking around going on keto. I've really gotten out of shape and have put the weight on. I need to lose around 30 pounds but 45 pounds probably wouldn't hurt.

I might be over doing it but I want to start keto as well as working out (at least cardio and kinda easy to do stuff around the house like pushups).

I gotta get my act together. I feel like once I start and get used to it that it won't be a big deal to continue doing.
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #14
Pineywoods
Pope & Young
 
Pineywoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Livingston
Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
I did strict Keto starting Thanksgiving 2019 until June 2020. During that time I lost 70lbs. Starting in June 2020 I transitioned to more of a low Carb diet and did that until Thanksgiving 2020. I was able to not gain any weight from June to Thanksgiving. That was a first for me since I had basically either been all in or all out on a diet. It gave me the confidence to know that I can control my weight by having a "cheat meal" once a week or so, as long as I eat what I'm supposed to eat the rest of the week. I started back on Keto Jan 1 and I am looking forward to 2021.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think this is a good approach and is more sustainable.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #15
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young
 
Hoggslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manvel, TX mostly in the Doghouse
Hunt In: My Truck at night.
Default

I'm 10 days into my first Keto diet and I'm down 16lbs.
Its now that hard when you get to have steak and eggs for breakfast.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
marc.munoz31
Four Point
 
marc.munoz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Default

I've been Keto for over year and half and dropped 100lbs in the first year. Intermittent fasting was the greatest contributor to my success. Wouldn't eat past 7pm at night and would have a light lunch around 12pm. Lots of summer sausage, cheese, avocado and boiled eggs.
marc.munoz31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #17
Buckwheat
Pope & Young
 
Buckwheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Clifton,Tx
Hunt In: Bosque County
Default

Started the Keto lifestyle Jan 1st. Down 6# already. Felling good


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #18
b.latiolais
Pope & Young
 
b.latiolais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bridge City, TX
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

I usually stay on keto about 6-8 months out of the year. Sure, i screw up every now and then but for the most part it's not difficult. I'm not what i would consider overweight. I do it mainly to stay in shape and try to get lean. Last year i lost around 30 lbs on keto in a short amount of time. I was down to around 160 and the leanest i have been in a long time. The hardest part for me is the warmer months when I want to constantly have a beer in my hand.
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #19
b.latiolais
Pope & Young
 
b.latiolais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bridge City, TX
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.munoz31 View Post
I've been Keto for over year and half and dropped 100lbs in the first year. Intermittent fasting was the greatest contributor to my success. Wouldn't eat past 7pm at night and would have a light lunch around 12pm. Lots of summer sausage, cheese, avocado and boiled eggs.
I think my wife gets tired of hearing it but every time she asks, "what do we need from the grocery store?"... it's always "Meat, cheese, eggs, and avocados"...

Even my 14 year old son enjoys it because he loves all the foods i eat on keto.
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #20
marc.munoz31
Four Point
 
marc.munoz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.latiolais View Post
I think my wife gets tired of hearing it but every time she asks, "what do we need from the grocery store?"... it's always "Meat, cheese, eggs, and avocados"...

Even my 14 year old son enjoys it because he loves all the foods i eat on keto.
Haha! That is the truth!
marc.munoz31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #21
BradBryant1000
Ten Point
 
BradBryant1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Caddo Mills, TX
Hunt In: Mason, TX
Default

Random question but do you guys take vitamins or any supplements while on Keto?

I already drink a lot of water but I know I'd have to step that up even more so. Should I drink sugar free Gatorade for electrolytes etc?
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #22
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

I appreciate the link the OP shared. Any other free resources to develop a budget friendly keto diet?
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #23
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
Random question but do you guys take vitamins or any supplements while on Keto?

I already drink a lot of water but I know I'd have to step that up even more so. Should I drink sugar free Gatorade for electrolytes etc?
I take a daily multivitamin, but other than that, I'll drink a powerade zero occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #24
TX Outlaw
Ten Point
 
TX Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Default

I do fasting but during hunting season I would take a break. I will be trying keto this year I will be following this page .
TX Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #25
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
Random question but do you guys take vitamins or any supplements while on Keto?

I already drink a lot of water but I know I'd have to step that up even more so. Should I drink sugar free Gatorade for electrolytes etc?
I take potassium and magnesium to help prevent cramping.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 09:38 AM   #26
TexaRican
Pope & Young
 
TexaRican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Granbury
Default Keto 2021

I dropped about 80lbs back in 2018 for a Sept elk hunt doing mainly keto and IF. Moved in June of 19 and traded a fitness lifestyle for golf addiction which came along with lots of beer drinking, hanging out in the bar after golf and generally things that killed my energy and motivation for exercise. Now up 30lbs since I moved.

Started a weight loss challenge with a buddy this morning and I'll something like OMAD-KETO with bulletproof coffee to start my day and just have a nice keto meal in the evening. I know it is going to be harder than ever since I work from home 10 steps to the refrigerator but at least I have a wager as extra motivation now.

Here is what I am doing for muscle cramps and such.

Last edited by TexaRican; 01-11-2021 at 10:01 AM.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #27
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default Keto 2021

Wife and I started 2 weeks ago.

We have a lot to learn about it.

Wife wants to lose 10-15# while I in the other hand donít want to lose an ounce, I just want to get rid of some belly fat I canít seem to burn off with healthy diet and hard exercise alone.

Last edited by bboswell; 01-11-2021 at 11:35 AM.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #28
fishman
Ten Point
 
fishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paradise
Hunt In: Wilbarger
Default

It's a pretty easy "diet" for me. Everything I like! Pork rinds, bacon, cheese, eggs, meat, etc., mixed with some healthy carbs. Just have to watch your portions. Thought it would be a breeze to cut our carbs, but I do get a craving for chips and tortillas every once in a while.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #29
JMart76
Four Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Hill country
Default

Been at it for a week and lost 1 lb, eating min veggies, berries, cut out sugars, bread, pasta, etc. I eat mostly meat already not sure if that may be the problem? I’m dumbfounded as I thought I would have lost more than that. Eating 1600 calories a day hopefully some weight will drop off as I’m in it to lose weight and drop my BP as well.
JMart76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:29 AM   #30
fishman
Ten Point
 
fishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paradise
Hunt In: Wilbarger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMart76 View Post
Been at it for a week and lost 1 lb, eating min veggies, berries, cut out sugars, bread, pasta, etc. I eat mostly meat already not sure if that may be the problem? I’m dumbfounded as I thought I would have lost more than that. Eating 1600 calories a day hopefully some weight will drop off as I’m in it to lose weight and drop my BP as well.
When I started, I wanted to lose 13lbs (208 down to 195). I didn't loose anything the first 2 weeks. After that, I lost the 13 lbs in 3 weeks. I was basically maxing out my max intake of protein/carbs/fat each day. I think your body has to have time to get out all the "bad stuff" before the weight starts falling off.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #31
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

in
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #32
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young
 
denimdeerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hempstead
Hunt In: Waller
Default Keto 2021

Back on the wagon here.
I lost 80+ last year then plateau. Stay around same weight for months. Then holidays come and of course put some back on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #33
CentralTXHunter
Six Point
 
CentralTXHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
It's a pretty easy "diet" for me. Everything I like! Pork rinds, bacon, cheese, eggs, meat, etc., mixed with some healthy carbs. Just have to watch your portions. Thought it would be a breeze to cut our carbs, but I do get a craving for chips and tortillas every once in a while.

Carb-Smart tortillas. They donít taste like the homemade real deal, but theyíll get you through in a pinch. I also like using pork rinds for dips/queso whatever. The chili-lime ones are awesome and have that satisfying crunch that chips give you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:57 AM   #34
CentralTXHunter
Six Point
 
CentralTXHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMart76 View Post
Been at it for a week and lost 1 lb, eating min veggies, berries, cut out sugars, bread, pasta, etc. I eat mostly meat already not sure if that may be the problem? Iím dumbfounded as I thought I would have lost more than that. Eating 1600 calories a day hopefully some weight will drop off as Iím in it to lose weight and drop my BP as well.

My guess would be not enough healthy fats and protein is probably too high. Download the carb manager app (itís free) and track EVERYTHING for a few months. This will help you balance your nutrition needs and learn what you can and canít have during a day and stay within your macros.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #35
BrianL
Pope & Young
 
BrianL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Paris
Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens
Default

Been on it for about a year and lost 30#s. I now keto Monday-Friday, and eat as I want on the weekends. I usually start Monday with a 23 hour fast, meaning I don't eat after 7pm on Sunday night, then eat again Monday night. Lots of steak, pork chops, grilled chicken, grilled fish, egg, and lots of cheeses and fat bombs. I make lots of alfredo sauce and zucchini noodles as well. Oh, Aldi Nut & seed keto bread was a game changer for me.

Last edited by BrianL; 01-11-2021 at 12:21 PM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #36
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

I plumped up in 2019 because of some life events. I decided to give keto a try last January and was able to knock of 24 lbs in about 9 weeks. Then covid came along and gyms were shutdown. I started having back problems in June, back surgery in Sept and ended up putting on 16 lbs the second half of the year. When Im bored I eat too much. I started back on keto last Monday and Ive lost 5 lbs in a week which I know is mostly water weight but it is gone nonetheless. 11 more lbs to go and then I'll switch back to a high protein, moderate fat lifestyle. Biggest thing I miss while on keto is good beer. I should have that 11 lbs off in about 5 more weeks so then I'll reward myself with a good beer or maybe two.

Remember once you reach your goals carbs arent bad as long as you use them everyday. Processed food on the other had is crap. Eat good, exercise/be active, and maintaining the weight is pretty easy. I like to weigh everyday when Im in maintenance mode so if I see a bump up it makes me jump right back on track if Ive been slacking a bit. Much easier to knock off 1-2 lbs than 5-7 lbs. Good luck to everyone.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #37
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

Curious if anyone is or plans on incorporating a cheat meal once a week. I typically dont but found if I did here and there it didnt hurt anything and sometimes actually seemed to help spur things on if I was in a stall.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #38
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point
 
ThisLadyHunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall1414 View Post
I did keto the first time a few years back and ended up dropping about 80 lbs over 8 months. Mostly it stayed off but you really can't do keto as a diet. Pretty much has to be a lifestyle. I'll be starting hard core keto tomorrow to get ready for being married. The best tip I can think of is to not overdo the protein. It can get really easy if you don't stay on top of your counting.
I thought Keto was a high-protein diet. What happens when you overdo protein?
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #39
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

Someone passed this guy onto me to learn about keto and fasting last year. He has a ton of videos on various aspects of keto and fasting. He can be a bit long winded at times but sometimes if you look down in the comments someone will have provided the cliff notes to a 20 minute video. Hope it helps some of you who are just starting into keto and trying to figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #40
CentralTXHunter
Six Point
 
CentralTXHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
I thought Keto was a high-protein diet. What happens when you overdo protein?

Itís high fat (good fats), moderate protein, low carb. If you eat excess protein, your body will convert it to fat and store it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #41
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
I thought Keto was a high-protein diet. What happens when you overdo protein?
Not at all. Overdoing protein will kill the ketosis going on in your body. If someone is starting out on keto, they should be weighing and recording their food intact so they can track their macros. Typical Keto macros should be 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. The fat and proteins are goals if you will and the carbs are an absolute limit. I ran around 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs.

By eating a high percentage of natural fats you are training your body to burn fat as a fuel instead of carbs.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #42
dhall1414
Four Point
 
dhall1414's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sanger
Hunt In: Palo Pinto County
Default

yeah you have to burn your existing glycogen stores to trigger ketosis, which happens when you stop taking in carbs and can be accelerated by exercising. once you're in ketosis and you exercise, you burn calories you took in that day first but then you move immediately to burning fat. just be careful about protein intake. it's easy to go overboard on it, which ends up being hard on the kidneys and can actually throw you out of ketosis anyway.
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #43
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point
 
ThisLadyHunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America
Default

What about monitoring your blood counts/labs? Anyone doing regular bloodwork to see if changes occur in things like hemoglobin/iron? Cholesterols and triglycerides? Liver enzymes? More importantly, insulin resistance? Someone early mentioned a reduction in BP. Is this common across the board?
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #44
CentralTXHunter
Six Point
 
CentralTXHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default Keto 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
What about monitoring your blood counts/labs? Anyone doing regular bloodwork to see if changes occur in things like hemoglobin/iron? Cholesterols and triglycerides? Liver enzymes? More importantly, insulin resistance? Someone early mentioned a reduction in BP. Is this common across the board?

I donate blood regularly. I find that my iron is lower than usual and I supplement accordingly. As far as labs, I have had full panels done annually since I was 23. Heart disease runs rampant in my family and I wanted to stay on top of it. My labs in July were the best theyíve ever been after 6 months of Keto. My previous labs the year before were the worst. (I had gained 30lbs after a bad motor vehicle accident in October of 2018 and wasnít cleared back for the gym yet.)

Hereís a side by side on my cholesterol labs from 2019 and 2020.



I donít have the other labs saved, but my doc literally said all my labs were perfect and asked me a ton of questions about what I had been doing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #45
Daddy D
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Been on it for about a year and lost 30#s. I now keto Monday-Friday, and eat as I want on the weekends. I usually start Monday with a 23 hour fast, meaning I don't eat after 7pm on Sunday night, then eat again Monday night. Lots of steak, pork chops, grilled chicken, grilled fish, egg, and lots of cheeses and fat bombs. I make lots of alfredo sauce and zucchini noodles as well. Oh, Aldi Nut & seed keto bread was a game changer for me.
This is pretty much what I do too.
Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #46
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Sony A7S III
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

My wife and I started back 1/4. I've dropped about 4-5 lbs. as of this morning. My wife has only dropped 1. We had success a couple of years ago when we committed to 30 days to "jump start" our weight loss. We're going to try to replicate that.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #47
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Not at all. Overdoing protein will kill the ketosis going on in your body. If someone is starting out on keto, they should be weighing and recording their food intact so they can track their macros. Typical Keto macros should be 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. The fat and proteins are goals if you will and the carbs are an absolute limit. I ran around 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs.

By eating a high percentage of natural fats you are training your body to burn fat as a fuel instead of carbs.
I need to edit this.....the carb limit of 5% was my personal one based on my total caloric daily intake. On Keto, you should not be consuming more that 20 net carbs each day. This is what I should have referenced as a limit and not a goal. Many days I will be in the 13-18 net carb range.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #48
rtp
Pope & Young
 
rtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fulshear, Texas
Hunt In: open range
Default

This is what I take to ensure my electrolytes stay where they should be. It was recommended to me by Shane here on TBH. I prefer the lemonade but there are several other flavors.

https://shop.jackedfactory.com/produ...15412818182187
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #49
oktx
Pope & Young
 
oktx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wise County
Hunt In: Wise County
Default

I’ve been doing it a week. Jeans already feel better.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #50
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I need to edit this.....the carb limit of 5% was my personal one based on my total caloric daily intake. On Keto, you should not be consuming more that 20 net carbs each day. This is what I should have referenced as a limit and not a goal. Many days I will be in the 13-18 net carb range.
did/do you do any fasting at all? IF or full 24, 48hr fasts in there?

from what I have been finding out lately, it seems like a fasting/IF/Keto combo could really be beneficial, weight loss and health wise.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com