Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 11-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
LouisianaExpat
Spike

Default Anyone ever hog fence an entire property?

Long time lurker, first time starting a thread. This board has helped me with trapping ideas to kill hogs as they have slowly taken over the place in Louisiana I hunt.

The hog problem keeps getting worse and I have been debating about using hog panel to fence off portions of the property that have mature oak trees as the hogs vacuum the acorns faster than the deer. This led me down a rabbit hole of why not fence the whole property in hog panel and I could eradicate them all and keep them out. As anyone had experience in fencing their entire property with hog proof fence? Cheaper ideas than hog panel? Thanks in advance.
LouisianaExpat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I imagine goat fence would be much cheaper and easier to install.

Quick online look shows you can get a 48"x330' roll from Ace Hardware for $189. That'd cost $3024/mile before tax.

34"x16' hog panels at approx $24/each would cost $7920/mile and that's butting the panels end to end with no overlap.

You'd need 330 16' panels per mile (without overlap accounted for). You'd need 16 rolls of the 330' goat wire for the same distance.

I think in either case, they will root under the fence.

Last edited by Patton; 11-12-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

One of the properties I hunt has hog wire around the bottom then barb wire above it. No idea why they did it, we didn't even have hogs back when this place was fenced. Pigs just root the wire up and make holes in it over time. It does deter them a little, but they find/make ways through. When we've got on sounders with rifles the hog wire gives us more shot opportunities than we would get with a barb wire fence since they can't go through it just anywhere.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I have been hunting a 45 acre net wire place because hogs were trapped inside when it was built.

Lady has been paying me well. She told me she spent $20,000 on the netwire fence
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
PoppinPiggies
Four Point

Hunt In: Clay County

We have fenced in a couple food plots with woven wire fences and in 3 years haven't had any hogs get into them. So far so good, that being said I'm sure on a larger area there would be low lying spots that they would create spots to go under just like they do with barbwire. I think it would help still though if you were vigilant in finding those areas and fixing the issues as they arise.
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
ramrod
Eight Point

About half of my place has cattle panel (similar to hog panel only taller). I will say, the only place they cross in those sections are low spots or if they bust the wire off the post.
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
LouisianaExpat
Spike

I’ve never had hogs root under panels around a feeder so I never considered them trying to get under them. The low drainages would be a problem especially one that floods every couple of years.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Does it have a fence now? If so, cheapest way would be to add 3 or 4 more strands of 4 barbed wire. Stays between each t post.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
toledo
Ten Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Ive considered doing a few acres around the areas I hunt. As much to get rid of my feed pens for the deers comfort as for the pigs. I would think any under rooting could be cured with a t-post and five minutes. Might take a little effort to stay on top of them a couple times of year. Except for the low spots, I think it would work well. Uses pieces of panel to fill in the low holes would work as long as you dont have a high water flow thats going to blow it all out.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I used to hunt a friend's 70 acre place where the previous owner raised meat goats so there was goat fence around the entire property. It was great not to build pens because it kept the hogs out for the most part. I say for the most part because one day we started seeing several hogs on camera and figured they had dug under the fence. We half a day looking but could not find where they got in. We finally figured out they came in the front gate one night when we left if open and got trapped inside. It took a few weeks but we finally killed them all.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #11
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

Nothing will keep the hogs out. They will find a low spot, or dig their way in. I've been on plenty of property's around the hill country that had good enough fencing for goats, but not wild pigs. I've seen areas on our Llano ranch where they peeled sheep and goat wire up like a tin can.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
LouisianaExpat
Spike

One landowner has a fence so only 1.5 out of the 4.25 miles of boundary is fenced.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #13
ArcheryAddict
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch County

You would probably better served with getting a group of buddies together for a "free" off-season hog hunt a couple times a year and have them "help out" with a few other chores you want done while there and nothing to do during the day anyway.

Get stuff done, get some hogs.

Plus would be ab excuse to get out of the house for a weekend.
ArcheryAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #14
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Adding a single strand of barb pulled good and tight and tied on solid added to the bottom of standard netwire fence will do wonders, add in some frequent maintainance and you'll be pleasantly surprised how effective a fence can be.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #15
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Traps and thermal scopes would probably be best way to spend your money. No way I do that much really good fence on property I don't own.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #16
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Net wire of hog wire is close to the same price as a 6 strand fence. Materials a little higher but net wire goes up faster so labor is reduced. I even had a neighbor lay hog wire flat on the ground and cover with about 6 inches of dirt and then built their fence. A lot of people in our area have gone to net wire to slow the hogs down.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #17
kparker158
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas

Sheep and goat fence will keep them out if properly maintained. Large cell phone trap would be more fun though Lol
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #18
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

When I high fenced my place in San Saba County, I had ten-twelve hogs on the place. Four years and sixty hogs later, I got rid of the last one. Good luck to you.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Whatever it cost would pay for itself in one night here. I’ll never build another fence that isn’t geared towards hog deterance

I went to a seminar on a company designing hog fence. The post were very far apart and the tensile strength was crazy

Price was high but so far it was working.

I’m going to guess this year alone I’m at about $20k in damages. So @&$% a hog!!!!
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #20
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

New a guy that did the. Sold bow hunts inside the 40 acres for wild boar
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #21
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

the places where they come through my fence is where i set snares for the pasture roaches
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #22
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
the places where they come through my fence is where i set snares for the pasture roaches
Yep. Itís like building a border wall. They might get in... but you can concentrate your efforts to one spot vs the entire area being a breach
Old 11-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #23
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

A 200 lb. boar running at top speed will blow through a hog wire fence like it was a screen door. Ask me how I know......
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #24
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
A 200 lb. boar running at top speed will blow through a hog wire fence like it was a screen door. Ask me how I know......
They will blow through a utility panel with a 15í dump of the clutch too... Iíve seen em do it!
Old 11-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #25
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

How big is the property?

This was just 1.5 acres, but it was and still is very effective on keeping hogs in. Year 1 - https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...light=hog+trap

Year 2 - https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...light=hog+trap

When I plant oats, it keeps them out. The fencing is Stay Tuff's high tensile fixed knot hog fencing. I watched a 300 pound boar hog plow into it only to have the fence throw him backwards 4 feet, which gave me the kill shot.

Here's my favorite video:
Stay Tuff Fixed Knot vs Hinged Knot
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #26
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Have a neighbor that has been slowly converting from barb wire to net wire and he says it was money well spent. He has around 2K ac I think so he has spent a good chunk on fencing
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #27
BobbyJoe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine County

Personally I think it’s a horrible idea and that’s speaking from personal experience. The landowner of my last lease decided to replace a barbwire fence with cattle fence (1600 acres) which inadvertently trapped in all of the hogs already there. You think that eradicating them all is the key, however, it’s **** near impossible to kill every single one and even though it’s fun in the beginning you’ll eventually get tired of chasing them. 3 years later and that place is chocked full of pigs, they’re overrun now and it’s a problem even with the feeder pens in place.
BobbyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #28
jt400
Four Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Terrell Co.

Our lease has 1280 acres electric fenced. Keeps them out VERY well. Don't know the price but from what I understand its actually the cheapest option. I believe there are 3 or 4 strands in the 1st 2 or so feet off the ground. Supposed to keep yotes out too.
jt400 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #29
jt400
Four Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Terrell Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJoe View Post
Personally I think itís a horrible idea and thatís speaking from personal experience. The landowner of my last lease decided to replace a barbwire fence with cattle fence (1600 acres) which inadvertently trapped in all of the hogs already there. You think that eradicating them all is the key, however, itís **** near impossible to kill every single one and even though itís fun in the beginning youíll eventually get tired of chasing them. 3 years later and that place is chocked full of pigs, theyíre overrun now and itís a problem even with the feeder pens in place.
Our landowner put up an electric fence to keep them out. Had guys come in with a helicopter to eradicate them. We might see one in that pasture every other year or so. Rest of the property is crawling with them.
jt400 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2020, 03:59 AM   #30
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I think in either case, they will root under the fence.
This.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #31
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

My friend in Brownwood hog fenced his 300 acres, killed every coyote and hog inside of it years ago. Very rarely finds them on his place now. Maybe 1 hog in 15 years and 3 coyotes.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #32
SNKETR
Four Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
My friend in Brownwood hog fenced his 300 acres, killed every coyote and hog inside of it years ago. Very rarely finds them on his place now. Maybe 1 hog in 15 years and 3 coyotes.
What did he use for the fence?
SNKETR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2020, 08:43 PM   #33
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Maybe they need to be poisoned. I hate hogs they tear up my property and equipment. What happen to poisoning them *******s
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #34
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

They have never breached my food plots.
But it is only 1-2 acres each and wire is stretched tight right on the ground.
Here in brown co goat fences are keeping them out. Foxes and yotes dig under in spots but not hogs. Floods in the hill country are another issue. They blow out the low water spots.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #35
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

We fence most of our turf farms to keep out hogs as much as possible, anywhere from 200 to 1000 acres totally fenced off.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #36
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4k View Post
Adding a single strand of barb pulled good and tight and tied on solid added to the bottom of standard netwire fence will do wonders, add in some frequent maintainance and you'll be pleasantly surprised how effective a fence can be.

This^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #37
wickll
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria and Lavaca Counties

Many have mentioned about having problems in low areas or draws. One other problem we have had in several spots is where a couple of bulls have gotten in a fight through the fence. While the fence ultimately kept the bulls apart, they did enough damage to the net wire where eventually the hogs found this weak spot and started getting through.

This was a well built fence with 5 strands of barb wire with the net wire as well.

Last edited by wickll; 02-06-2021 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add
wickll is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #38
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Electric fence with a wire down low and another a few inches higher.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 07:54 AM   #39
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Personally I think itís a horrible idea and thatís speaking from personal experience. The landowner of my last lease decided to replace a barbwire fence with cattle fence (1600 acres) which inadvertently trapped in all of the hogs already there. You think that eradicating them all is the key, however, itís **** near impossible to kill every single one and even though itís fun in the beginning youíll eventually get tired of chasing them. 3 years later and that place is chocked full of pigs, theyíre overrun now and itís a problem even with the feeder pens in place.
I have heard that. But without a fence you have no chance
Was the fence 100% secure? One hole would be like a boat.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #40
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

I got tired of attracting them with my feeders so I built feeder pens. That helped. I am tired of the destroying my food plots so I am now fencing them using stay tuff and barbed wire. Half of it is exiting fence. I am moving the bottom wire to the ground removing one wire and moving two to the top. I will add the stay tuff in the middle. I am doing a 20 and a 7 acre patch.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2021, 09:59 PM   #41
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

Quote:
Helicopters from after deer season until the the spring bloom. Need to tell them to kill them all or they will leave a few so they can come back next year. Haha
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #42
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

My FIL used stay tite fence on his place and eliminated his hog problem. Not cheap but effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top