Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 07-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
hollywood1981
Four Point

Default Cellular Game Camera's

Need some help with you guys input with cellular game cams guys. So the last 3 yrs I have been running spypoint products on our ranch in South Texas. This year was the last straw with spypoint, I had to replace one link dark, and now today another one stop working. The customer service sucks, and frankly their products don't seem to hold up also.

So now I'm looking into other options of home cameras st this time. I have browsed on the net, and need your input on Covert, Snyper, and Spartan. All look really good and the user interface looks great as well. The one that caught my eye is the new Covert LB-A3, where you can connect up to 9 cameras to one central hub. If you guys could give me some input on your experiences with the above cameras it would be much appreciated. Thanks
hollywood1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
Paycheck
Ten Point

I got the cuddelink cameras. 3 cameras on one plan that runs about 12 per month. I have nothing to compare them to except non cell regular trail cam. If the regular camera takes 15 photos a day the cuddelink might take 5 with settings similar. Don't think I am missing that much anyway. Starting to like the cuddelink more now.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
Venison4Dinner
Spike

I purchased a Stealthcam earlier this year. So far so good.
But of the three you mentioned, a buddy of mine uses the Spartan. He raves about it and shows me pictures from the app every time we get together. His Spartan is the reason why I bought my cellular trail cam.
Venison4Dinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
hollywood1981
Four Point

Yeah I really like the spartan features, and the quality of pics you get. Also i heard their customer service is excellent. That was one of my two picks for camera choices.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
PassnItOn
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Spartan all the way!!!
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #6
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Spartans have great quality pics but I only got about 2 years worth out of them then starting having problems. I’ve Been running Reconyx for 6 years without 1 hiccup.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2020, 04:59 AM   #7
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I run 11 Coverts year round on my place and they are awesome. Great picture quality and maintenance free when combined with the covert solar panel.

Here is a thread that shows some of the pics Iíve got off them.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=769246

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2020, 06:22 AM   #8
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

1. Covert
2. Spartan

Reconyx's are great if you want to go into that price range.

I run all Coverts. Customer service has been very good when needed. And, they speak English.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
Hunterdan

Hunt In: South Texas

I run Covert cameras year round in S. Texas and no problems at all.
Hunterdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Another vote for covert
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

This is my second year running the Spartan. Other than a few challenges during setup, it’s been pretty solid.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
hollywood1981
Four Point

Thanks again guys! The covert pics look really good!
Old 07-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #13
FireNguns
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson, Montague, Wise

Have 6 cuddelink running with no issues.
Also have one Tactacam reveal that is proving to be very good. Just ordered two more of those.
All boils down to best mo that price to me. I can have up to 24 cameras on the cuddelink plan and unlimited pictures is $180 a year total for all cameras.
The reveal is $5, $8, or $12 depending on how many pictures a month you want and you can suspend the account when not needed.
FireNguns is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
LouisianaExpat
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
1. Covert
2. Spartan

Reconyx's are great if you want to go into that price range.

I run all Coverts. Customer service has been very good when needed. And, they speak English.

Spartanís work great but their data plans are the most expensive. $10/month + $3/month for ďpremium credits to use the app. Thatís $468 over 3 years. This really compounds with multiple cameras since you canít share data. Reconyx and Covert give you some multiple camera discount. Synper and Cuddeback are the only ones that truly share data. Over the life of a camera (5years) you end up paying more for a Spartan than a Reconyx.

Most cheap cameras sub $200 also have expensive data plans. Stealth, Spypoint, Moultrie, even Tacatacam will end up being more expensive than a Covert or Synper over the life of the camera. And thatís even if you can get it to last 5 years.

LouisianaExpat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 11:24 PM   #15
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties

Iím really enjoying my new Whiteflash Spartan Camera:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #16
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

I like my Spartan cameras with the solar pack.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #17
muddyz
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baylor Co

Covert also has that network thing you talked about. I've avoided it because I don't want to be limited where I can put my cams based on where the base unit is. We have over 9k acres that we hunt.

I am running their Covert Code Black cameras. This is my 4th season running them (I ran their other cams for 10 years) and I am up to 14 now. Customer service is great. Once you get them setup right (Solar Panel, Amazon High Capacity 2400 mah batteries, TMate and TShade) you are set for the season so long as a racoon or cow doesn't mess with them.
Attached Images

muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #18
hollywood1981
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyz View Post
Covert also has that network thing you talked about. I've avoided it because I don't want to be limited where I can put my cams based on where the base unit is. We have over 9k acres that we hunt.

I am running their Covert Code Black cameras. This is my 4th season running them (I ran their other cams for 10 years) and I am up to 14 now. Customer service is great. Once you get them setup right (Solar Panel, Amazon High Capacity 2400 mah batteries, TMate and TShade) you are set for the season so long as a racoon or cow doesn't mess with them.
What is the purpose of the covers on the camera if I might ask?
Old 07-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #19
muddyz
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood1981 View Post
What is the purpose of the covers on the camera if I might ask?
Shade, weather protection, etc. Not necessary but for $11 I'll try them to avoid direct sunlight and critters on top of the cams.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #20
rattler7696
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyz View Post

What brand of covers are the black shades?

rattler7696 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #21
muddyz
Eight Point

https://trailcamcover.com/

They are thin flexible plastic. I like them pretty good I just wish they were a few inches longer.

I like the T Shades too but wish there were 2x as wide as they are.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #22
sotx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood1981 View Post
Need some help with you guys input with cellular game cams guys. So the last 3 yrs I have been running spypoint products on our ranch in South Texas. This year was the last straw with spypoint, I had to replace one link dark, and now today another one stop working. The customer service sucks, and frankly their products don't seem to hold up also.
Well I run 8 of the Spypoint Link Evo's for the last 4 years and I like them. Like everything else I have had a problem or two but I found their customer service to be very good. I like the fact that you can talk to someone and a lot of times they can walk you through a fix or bug. The app was just upgraded this week and it has a few differences from the old app but its better over all.
The cameras I really had problems with were the Snyper brand #nightmare customer service.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #23
sotx
Ten Point

I run mine this year with 12 volt battery, solar panel and antenna booster. I built them into a plastic storage box from Homedepot. Box's are like $9.00

Old 07-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #24
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
I run mine this year with 12 volt battery, solar panel and antenna booster. I built them into a plastic storage box from Homedepot. Box's are like $9.00

I have a similar setup but my solar panel is mounted to the top of the box. Does yours get enough sun where it is?
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #25
sotx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
I have a similar setup but my solar panel is mounted to the top of the box. Does yours get enough sun where it is?

So far so good. It's angled up slightly and I aim my boxes south and seems to be doing ok. Time will tell.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:46 AM   #26
deerdynasty
Four Point

Hunt In: Same

I have had 20 Bushnell cameras and they are solid. they last a few years. pics come asap and easy to set but not cheap running 5 or more cameras... have 6 new cuddelinks as well and just learning them. seem good so far... issue is not sending pics for hours vs instant.
deerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #27
SGrog12
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Florida

I ran Spypoint Micro's last year and had the typical issues that everyone has out of them. Luckily my lease is only an hour and fifteen from my house, so I was able to tend to them as needed. I recently switched to a Spartan after a friend talked me into it. So far the Spartan is functioning perfectly and a much better camera than the spypoint micro's. I just went ahead ordered my second Spartan Sunday.

I bought the spartan from Beargrasstx on here. He gave me a much better deal than I could find online. He charged $250 plus tax and $15 shipping. I received the camera in about 4-5 days. Awesome guy to work with.

Hopefully it will be a less stressful year this year with not having to fix cell cameras every other weekend.
SGrog12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 12:52 AM   #28
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

Any updates yet? I bought one but canít find where you set the transmission times.
Do you have to join their ďClubĒ for $ 100 and pay $ 120 for the plan too?

bowtecmike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #29
SGrog12
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtecmike View Post
Any updates yet? I bought one but canít find where you set the transmission times.
Do you have to join their ďClubĒ for $ 100 and pay $ 120 for the plan too?

Are you referring to the Spartan cameras I mentioned above or one of the other posts in the thread? If you are asking about the Spartans, I don't think you can set batch photo delivery times unless you have the ghost camera. My gocam delivers photos immediately when the photo is taken.
SGrog12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #30
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaExpat View Post
Spartanís work great but their data plans are the most expensive. $10/month + $3/month for ďpremium credits to use the app. Thatís $468 over 3 years. This really compounds with multiple cameras since you canít share data. Reconyx and Covert give you some multiple camera discount. Synper and Cuddeback are the only ones that truly share data. Over the life of a camera (5years) you end up paying more for a Spartan than a Reconyx.

Most cheap cameras sub $200 also have expensive data plans. Stealth, Spypoint, Moultrie, even Tacatacam will end up being more expensive than a Covert or Synper over the life of the camera. And thatís even if you can get it to last 5 years.

Ahhh, a newbie to the site! Welcome to the campfire. Good info by the way.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #31
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Great info above.

I'm upgrading my 2014 and 15 coverts this year as they're starting to become unreliable particularly at night.

I'm going to get another pair of coverts. I have the solar panels already which work great, the att data plans are among the most reasonable, their customer service is prompt and has never disappointed and the app us user friendly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #32
aggiegolfer09
Spike

I have a few spypoints and havent had any issues
aggiegolfer09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #33
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrog12 View Post
I ran Spypoint Micro's last year and had the typical issues that everyone has out of them. Luckily my lease is only an hour and fifteen from my house, so I was able to tend to them as needed. I recently switched to a Spartan after a friend talked me into it. So far the Spartan is functioning perfectly and a much better camera than the spypoint micro's. I just went ahead ordered my second Spartan Sunday.

I bought the spartan from Beargrasstx on here. He gave me a much better deal than I could find online. He charged $250 plus tax and $15 shipping. I received the camera in about 4-5 days. Awesome guy to work with.

Hopefully it will be a less stressful year this year with not having to fix cell cameras every other weekend.

If anyone wants some Spartans let me know.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #34
ninemile
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
Awesome setup!
ninemile is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #35
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

BH Photo has the Covert Code Black Att model for $348
Is that a good camera to get? Good price?
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #36
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

That's a really good price.

If you currently have an older covert they'll give you an upgrade price. I upgraded my 2015 to a new camera for $280.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #37
W Bar Ranch
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Llano & Webb County

I’ve been running the non-cellular Stealth cams for 3 years without an issue. Phenomenal picture and video quality. Their new cellular model looks really slick. HUSH on their website gets your 30% off too.
W Bar Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #38
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

I bought my Covert code Black
What plan do you guys recommend from Covert?
How many pictures?
I thought I would do an annual program

Yearly Plans
Picture Count Price Add a line
1,500 $59.99 $60.00
15,000 $74.99 $60.00
30,000 $89.99 $60.00
50,000 $99.99 $60.00
125,000 $149.99 $60.00
500,000 $424.99 $60.00
1,000,000 $849.99 $60.00
Unlimited $239.88 N/A
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2020, 11:47 PM   #39
tiberiuswade
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
If anyone wants some Spartans let me know.
What are your Spartan cams going for

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #40
dustinztx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Love my coverts but with all these other Camera makers coming out with Celluar the price war is on. I am really interested in the browning cell cam.
dustinztx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #41
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Spartan 4G LTE hands down. Best image quality out there.

I sold all my Covert LTE's to get Spartans and glad I did.

Spartan LTE $251 shipped to your door
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #42
Bowhunter004
Ten Point

Hunt In: Maydelle TX, Boswell OK

Covert Code blacks is what we run, Covert also sells a 12v-6v converter cable and I've made up some 12v battery boxes. They will run for ages. 2 year warranty, any issues and they send you a brand new one. Covert has been in the cell game longer than most other manufactures so they have all the bugs worked out!

Also, if you plan on running multiple cameras coverts shared camera/photo plan cant be beat. I run 14 cams, we have the 10,000 pic plan. Runs 85 a month for all 14 cams!

Last edited by Bowhunter004; 09-04-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Bowhunter004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top