Comment

I found an old cheap wood carving tool and took the bit out of the handle
      then I drilled it out and glued in an insert
      screw in a broadhead and get with it
      although I really only sharpen them with a file
      I gave up on a stone a long time ago

makes a great utility knife laying on the desk

Comment

I use 2 blade heads almost exclusively. Begin with a 6" ******* file and piece of 3" x 6" leather. I begin with the 6" file and make long swipes at a low angle (just above the ferrule) an not too much pressure, sharpening both sides. Once this angle is established, with light pressure I then make a new bevel on a sharper angle for about 10 strokes/side. Once you set this angle, I then use my leather strap and finish the point off. If it won't shave hair from my arm or leg, it isn't sharp enough. This produces a double bevel on each side of the blade and is quite adequate for hunting. Just be sure they will shave and don't settle for anything less. Once you have any technique down, it normally takes only a couple of minutes to sharpen a head.

Best of luck.

Doug Key

Comment

I have never tried the file thing just always felt they couldn't get the razor edge I have always wanted.
          I guess I should give it a try.

Comment

I was taught many years ago how to sharpen zwickey broadheads. Start off using a large 10"-12" mill ******* file. Holding the arrow to your side, (if you are right handed, the arrow will fit under your right elbow, between your arm and side of your stomach), use the file going toward the inside part of the broadhead, (back of the head to the tip). Use ~10-15 strokes of the file following the edge of the broadhead. Look for the shavings coming off. On the angle, sometimes, you will see a mark develope on the center of the broadhead, (where your ferrel goes), where your file will drag across the center of the broadhead. That is a pretty good indicator that you are at the correct angle. Turn the broadhead over and repeat to the other side. That was for one side.
            Now take your arrow and broadhead, place the nock of the broadhead against something solid. This will leave you looking at the tip of the broadhead. Using your left hand hold on to the left side of the blade, be careful! This is where most accidents happen.
            Take the file and go down the right side of the broadhead, front to back. You will see the shavings coming off. Take enough off until you see a thin sliver of the broadhead holding on to the edge of the broadhead. Stop that is enough. Turn the broadhead over adn continue the other side. Remember to leave that little piece of metal hanging. Once you have done both sides, take a smooth stone and strop the broadhead until you see that little piece of metal come off. That should give you a great sharp broadhead.
            A new file will always work better than an old file and a larger file will give you more control of the file and keep your fingers away from the sharp edges.
            Good Luck!

Comment

Mike, I think we do it about the same way. Sort of.

Comment

well, i just tried my lansky on a magnus stinger, and now i have a REALLY DULL blade. This tool is not good for this broadhead. IMHO Hopefully wally world will have an accusharp or maybe even files.

Comment

agree with groeber 10 in ******* file to get to to fine burr then take off with stone then smooth strop. yikes it will shave hair

Comment

grobet file

Comment

another site...Tradgang.com, currently has a post that describes and shows a video of how to use a Lansky. Well worth the look if you are interested in using this type of sharpener.

Comment

I use a Wheelie sharpener from Simmons, cost like $6.00, real easy to use. I also have a hand sharpener I bought at Menards for only $2.00 works pretty good.

Comment

I didn't mean that I use a file, just that it is grobet that is so good.
                          I use the Smith's sharpener (like an Accusharp) for 2 blades.
                          I used diamond stones for 3-blades like WWs and Snuffers.

Comment

I've used a Lansky on 2 blade heads before with great results. You will sometimes have to change the angle that the broadheads come with from the factory, but once you have done that just work your way down to the finest stone you have and you should get good results.

I also use a Lansky on by 3 blade Magnus Snuffers with good results. You can lay two edges on the stone at the same time and get good results. The first time you sharpen them you will have to spend some time on them with the coarse stone in order to change the angle of the edge, but once you have done that it should be pretty easy.

Comment

Working...
                            X