I am just bored.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just bored.

This was my first weekend home since mid Aug. Both daughters had plans, and I didn't want to fight the crowd at the lease for opening weekend. One of the guys I helped with his bowhunting took me and DJ fishing yesterday on Lake Conroe. We filled the boat with big channel cats, while listening to the gun fire in the forest. The board has been slow lately, I guess that is a function of everyone hunting. How do guys watch all those hours of football? I watched a little of the Aggie/OU game and a little of the Texans and Cowboys today between "honey do's". More interesting threads please. Okay....I'm done now.

At least you're not at "work" . I am.

Comment

Probably the first regular opening weekend I have missed in a long time. Just didn't have the yearning to go and sit in a tree under the current weather conditions. To hot and to many bugs. Where is the cold weather that lasts more then one day?

I went opening of bow season and it was as I expected. I knew it was going to be hot and have lots of bugs, but when you don't see anything, it becomes booorrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnggggggg. Only pics on the trail cam were at night.

Give me three days of really cool weather and I just might have to make a road trip. I have plenty to do at home and I guess that is why I don't feel so bad about not hunting right now. There still is plenty of time left in the season.

Sorry this was not the interesting read you wanted Chunky, but you are not the only one at home this weekend.

Comment

I never hunt opening of gun season, haven't in years. Just to much noise to be out there in the woods.

Comment

I was a little bored early in the day today and decided to take advantage and re-tune my Bear recurve. The only real changes were shortening the braceheight and lowering the knock point to 1/2".

The afternoon was spent shearing my daughters goats for a show in Del Valle next weekend.

Comment

I hate missing any weekends during deer season. After missing an earlier weekend to a wedding and one to the flu, I stayed home to take my wife to a wedding this weekend under the understanding that I will hunt every day off from now until the end of the season or until I shoot my buck, which ever happens first. I do have to be home on Thanksgiving and Christmas day, but you have to wash your hunting cloths sometime.

Comment

My son had a "free" weekend from school, girls, etc., so we went down to the lease Friday-Sunday. He hunted hard for a big boar that had been terrorizing the deer near his tripod setup, but never got a clear shot. We mainly took advantage of the doves, again. Due to the heat, this was more fun than sitting in popup blinds.
              I did, however spend some time, practicing in a popup, at camp. This was something I had not done much of, so it was a big help. I liked Buff's idea of cutting a "baseball sized" hole in the screen...really helps visualize the small target.
              Just waiting on the "rut".
              Best to all.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, Martin made me feel much better by reminding me I was not at work.

Going to the lease this weekend with a dangerous daughter and video camera. I hopes of getting another deer or pig.

Comment

I was guiding customers on our company lease. they took a couple of nice deer and a truck load of hogs
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	rddeer.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	23816277
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	skinning.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	23816278

Comment

it is still slow awfull slow . I guess it will pick up after everyone runs out of tags

Comment

This is a bit "late" response from opening weekend but I hunted here in East Texas. The hunting club that borders my property were out in force as usual. 15 hunters with guests/kids on 400 acres of cutover paper co. land. Sounded like an ATV mud race at 5:30 opening morning. I just eased into my stand on the far end and heard all the shooting begin. Don't know how many they got because they always tell me they killed a "Spike"...yea, right.

Hopefully the remainder of the season will be a bit more quiet.

Best of luck to all for the rest of the season.

Doug Key

Comment

Just got back from a week in Missouri. My butt has permanent damage from sitting in a lock on 10 hours a day for a week straight.

Colder up there but the deer weren't moving a bit during the daylight hours.
                        I saw one buck the first evening and let it walk for whatever reason. My buddy scored on a nice 8-pointer. I talked to guys that were hunting MO, IL and IA and nothing was moving there either.

Long hard slow hunt.

Can't wait to go back.

Comment

Working...
                        X