I want to plug a shotgun “El Cheapo”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to plug a shotgun “El Cheapo”

I’ve had to use a shotgun on certain federal lands the last few years for larger game. I’ve used several brands and configurations of shotguns, the one I’ve currently dubbed “El Cheapo” deserves a mention and the reasons for it. El Cheapo can be had at Walmart for $254. Its a wood stock Mossberg Youth. It is model number 51432, 22” barrel with a modified choke.

El Cheapo has really racked up the body count over the last few years on various animals with shock & awe.

I’ll explain some things that make El Cheapo so great:

It is drilled and tapped for a scope mount setup
    It is a short throw pump forend (fast)
    The stock is not too short for adults at 13” LOP
    It is more accurate with cheap slugs than a savage 220 with sabots at 100yards
    Recoil is acceptable

I use these slugs and most game from deer, hogs, and yotes collapse

I have El Cheapo scoped with a fixed 2.5X in cheap Leupold rifle an rings. I think it would also be great with a Leupold 4x or any acceptable fixed scope.

I haven’t taken anything farther than 80 yards with this gun because animals seem to like me and always come in close but I would highly recommend this setup for a piece of pipe with a firing pin, it works. You can spend as much as you want on a pipe with a firing pin but in most practical cases, won’t outperform El Cheapo.

Anyway, if anyone is in a similar situation and looking for a good low cost solution, it works well.

Happy Hunting
    Last edited by Johnny44; 12-09-2019, 09:56 PM.

Very good insight. Having a cheap shotie is always a good thing. You’ve proven they can do a lot more than one would expect. Post a photo.

Comment

I’m a product of hunting in the south during the 70’s with dogs and buckshot, once I left that behind I’ve had little use for a shotgun on big game since.

Unfortunately when you have to conform to rules because you like to hunt, you do whatever it takes.

I might post a picture if I get a chance.

Comment

Nice, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
          I’m a product of hunting in the south during the 70’s with dogs and buckshot, once I left that behind I’ve had little use for a shotgun on big game since.

Unfortunately when you have to conform to rules because you like to hunt, you do whatever it takes.

I might post a picture if I get a chance.
          Some of my best memories are from my grandfather's hunting club in Alabama as a kid. Those dog driven hunts were a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
            Some of my best memories are from my grandfather's hunting club in Alabama as a kid. Those dog driven hunts were a blast!
            The kinda “blast” where you had to dig in whilst buckshot flew over your head.

I’m from Alabama !

Comment

The kinda “blast” where you had to dig in whilst buckshot flew over your head.

I’m from Alabama !
              Yes sir! Sumter Co., AL. This club was really strict about "shooting down the line" and even tied flagging tape as to where you could not shoot. Heck, kudzu was so thick in some spots it would stop buckshot.

Comment

You were at a civilized club. My first exposure to combat was with the outlaws of which I hunted. I have survived foreign wars and all but one of my youthful hunting partners is dead as an old stump.
                Last edited by Johnny44; 12-10-2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Interesting stories. I may try shooting deer with some slugs, thinking of trying my old 16 ga. Never shot at, much less shot anything, with slugs or buckshot. A few years ago, I bought both buckshot and some slugs for my 12 ga.. Then shot cinder blocks, bricks and large tree limbs over at my mother's. I was pretty impressed with the damage the slugs did, the buckshot was impressive also, but the slugs were definitely more impressive.
                  I have heard of guys killing deer with 20 ga. most of the guys who used them say, they worked great, but then you will read other guys say they ain't worth a crap for deer. I watched a video of a female shooting a buck with a 20 ga., with number 2 buckshot. Dropped it dead on the spot. Most of the guys said even with a 12 ga. slugs were a much better choice, than buckshot. I figure I will get some slugs for the 16 ga. and some for the 12 ga., then try them out.

Comment

I killed a 400+ hog with a Brenneke 3” 410 and he collapsed, it was a pass through.

I say if you ain’t gotta use a dang shotgun...Don’t

Comment

I killed a 400+ hog with a Brenneke 3” 410 and he collapsed, it was a pass through.

I say if you ain’t gotta use a dang shotgun...Don’t
                      I have never tried, would like to give it a try. Then I have been wanting to clean up some more of the squirrels around our place. It's not really practical to carry to guns to my tripod, much less try to hold both of them while on the tripod. So I was trying to think of a way to have a deer and squirrel gun, in one gun. Then the longest shots on our place would be 60 yards, most shots would probably be 30 to 40 yards.
                      Thought about one of those old Savage or Stevens, guns with a rifle barrel on top and a shotgun barrel on the bottom. But then I would need to find one and buy it. Probably need to be something like a 223/20 ga. combo. I don't remember ever seeing one in a 12 ga., don't remember seeing one in a caliber larger than a 223. I think I have seen them with 22 Hornet, 222 and 223, rifle barrels. Then 410 and 20 ga. shotgun barrels. I have not seen one in a while. So using one of my shotguns with some slugs seems like the best solution to the problem. I know my luck, it I go sit on my tripod with just number 6 shot in a shot gun, or take my 17 HMR, there will be a good buck show up. I have been taking one of my deer rifles every time I have gone hunting on our property and not seen one decent buck, but seen a lot of squirrels. Yesterday morning, I sure wished I would have taken the 17 HMR, the squirrels were out all over the place.

Comment

No doubt for such conditions El Cheapo could be the one gun solution.

Comment

Question: Do you shoot the slugs with the modified choke or switch to cylinder choke?

Comment

I got lucky man, these cheap high velocity sluggers with the mod choke that came with it will shoot “one ragged hole” at 100 yards. After a bagged volley I have maybe a 1 3/4” hole so it is purdy good.

I ran a ballistics chart too. I’m getting 1800fps, BC is .171, sight height 1.5” scoped, 218gr.
                            I’m zeroed at 25 yards, +.7” at 50 yards, +.6” at 75 yards, -1/2” at 100 yards, -2 1/2” at 125 yards.

1,750 lbs energy at 25 yards, 1,100 lbs at 125 yards

It has worked out to perfection

I use a buckshot chaser, I haven’t tested birdshot but should do fine at critter ranges. I just leave the modified tube in for my purpose.
                            Last edited by Johnny44; 12-13-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I got lucky man, these cheap high velocity sluggers with the mod choke that came with it will shoot “one ragged hole” at 100 yards. After a bagged volley I have maybe a 1 3/4” hole so it is purdy good.

I ran a ballistics chart too. I’m getting 1800fps, BC is .171, sight height 1.5” scoped, 218gr.
                              I’m zeroed at 25 yards, +.7” at 50 yards, +.6” at 75 yards, -1/2” at 100 yards, -2 1/2” at 125 yards.

1,750 lbs energy at 25 yards, 1,100 lbs at 125 yards

It has worked out to perfection

I use a buckshot chaser, I haven’t tested birdshot but should do fine at critter ranges. I just leave the modified tube in for my purpose.
                              What slugs are you shooting that are going 1800 fps? I have been looking at 20 ga., 16 ga. and 12 ga., Of all of the commonly available rifled slugs I have seen, the 12 ga. slugs are the fastest at 1600 fps and heaviet at 1 oz.. Of all of those loads, the Winchester 12 ga. are the quickest at 1600 fps. I think the Remington 12 ga. are rated at 1560 fps. The Remington 16 ga. shoots a 4/5 oz. slug, I think the velocity is the same as the Remington 12 ga., at 1560 fps, but I also saw it listed at 1600 fps somewhere. The 20 ga. slugs I saw listed, were a little slower than the 16 ga. and shot a lighter slug than the 16 ga.
                              I will see how they shoot out of my guns, soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X