15. CRM95
    16. little john
    17. Hoggslayer
    18. ElfEyes
    19. sweetinlow660
    20. MEsquivel

Bisch

Comment

Has anyone ever thought about how many arrows have been slung from that bow. It's got to be in the 10's of thousands if not more. She's a shooter for sure. I can't wait to take her for a spin again.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am Don Sherpy, AKA BO-N-ARO and have just finished my time with Sacajawea.
        I live in Plano and originally from Kansas City Mo. Grew up with a father that loved the outdoors and hunted and fished often. I have my dads bow, a solid fiberglass long bow I believe he bought from Western Auto, along with arrows, that I have a few.
        I shot bows in our basement during the winters growing up and dreamed of archery hunting.
        Moved to Texas the summer before my Junior year of high school. Dad worked for US Steel and was transferred to Garland, needing 2 1/2 years to retire. He was in the Army Air Corp and had trained in Texas and decided that is where he would finish his career. Started dating my wife our senior year. When dad retired, and after my graduation, we moved back to KC, but I returned as soon as I could. We married a couple years later. We have three kids and they have blessed us with 12 grandchildren.
        I did start bowhunting in 1973 with a Wing, that I still have, and continue to bow hunt today. I shoot a Bob Lee recurve now, and I have a couple of Switchbacks, one at 52 pounds and the other at 65 pounds. I have also shot Field and 3D. I have bows set up for fingers and releases..... yip, I just love to sling arrows. ( I never have pulled the trigger on a cross bow and don't plan on it ).
        I still hunt today with a guy I grew up with that lives now in Olathe Kansas. We have hunted everywhere from South Texas to South Africa together over the years. We even made a trip to Canada to chase whitetail. My son shot his first deer with a bow when he was 9 and we hunt together today. He shot a great 150 class 10 point in Kansas this year.
        I am a Life Member of Pope and Young and a member of Boone and Crockett and am a certified measurer for both, along with LSBA and the TBGA program. I love meeting folks and hearing about their hunts.
        I am now retired after almost 50 years in the DOD business, mostly as a mechanical engineer and program manager.
        I am a taxidermist and enjoy hearing more hunting stories and seeing the faces of the hunters when they pick up their mounts.
        While I did not have time to hunt with the bow, I did shoot her most every day that she was with me. First pic is of my first two shots at 12 yards!!
        A few of my grandkids shot the bow as well, and what is cool, is I have a couple lefties that could shoot her as well. My son and daughter in law shot her as well.
        When I was shooting the bow I would often think of all of the hands that have been on the grip and wondered how many arrows she had shot. I am privileged to have been apart of her journey and look forward to the rest of her travels.
        Thanks to those that built her and whom started her journey.
        Attached Files

Comment

Well done.

Gary

Comment

Good writeup.

Comment

Very nice Don!!!!!

Can’t wait to hear from IowaHunter!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hey, IowaHunter, you have the bow now???

Bisch

Comment

Yes, I have the bow. I was out of town when it arrived. Plan is to get the family out to Spring Creek park locally to shoot it. No lease or Texas hunting for me so it’ll be playing at the range and introducing the brood to trad shooting.

Comment

Cool beans!!!! Just making sure it made it to you. Have fun with her, and can’t wait to hear about it here on this thread!!!

Bisch

Comment

First run with the family today at Spring Creek Park in Tomball. Everyone shot it and had a ball. I can’t believe no one else was at the range today. I’ll post up some photos later in the weekend. She is similar to by Blueridge but with a narrower riser so it was easy to adapt. Took her out to 45 yards and found that when my form goes to pot. Slapped my left arm for the first time in 30 years.

Comment

Smarts a bit.

Gary

Comment

My name is Tim and I’m a converted bird hunter. I grew up in the northeast with parents from the Midwest. Dad raised us target shooting and bird hunting in Iowa. After college my girlfriend and I moved south to Georgia with a transfer to Houston. Kids came soon after along with a transfer to Colorado. I’d have to say Colorado was the prettiest place I’ve been and sure enjoyed my time there. Work then wanted me to move to the corporate office in Georgia and we decided to come back to Texas where freedom rings loudly! I worked globally managing our petrochemical and refining market opportunities then changed to our commercial fire protection group. I handle the east coast from Houston - chasing large building construction projects from the Maritimes to Florida.

Each pheasant season from 1979 to 2007 I made opening day in Iowa without fail. The last year we’re walking the CRP and my cousin says, “We hate bird hunting - why don’t you ever come back for deer season?” I was crushed that I was dragging them through the reed canary grass and they were hating every moment of it. They told me I was like a kid in a candy store when I came back each year so they didn’t want to rain on my parade. Well, the next year I converted to archery.

I bought a Mathews FX and started practicing. Understand that I loathe practice . Then surfing for archery related sites I came across TBH. I joined, read, learned, and laughed at the thoughts and insights of the members. Sure wish we had memes regularly. I’ve bought many archery related items as well as firearms from our members. Every encounter has been smooth and easy. I really enjoy the down to earth attributes the members have regardless their stature in life. Currently, I have two compounds, two longbows, a recurve and Sacajawea! But she will be put into the mail today for the next adventurer.

I’ve raised my girls shooting guns and from time to time hitting the archery range. They took immediately to handguns which I really enjoy seeing. I swear all the women in my family are descendants of Annie Oakley. Interesting to find one of my kids was actually a lefty for shooting. The instructor saw she was left eye dominant and her shooting was flawless once the change took place. She also turns out to be a lefty with archery as well. When we hit the range with Sacajawea she started right but evolved to lefty.

We all hit the Spring Creek range a couple weeks back. When I post up the photos shortly you’ll see fun had by all. I haven’t mastered the linking of videos so it may be a while before they’re posted. The bow was a joy to shoot and I like the slim riser. My Blueridge has a thicker riser so it was nice for a change - especially being an ambidextrous bow. I like shooting left handed to cross train and for the challenge.

On a personal note, I’d like to thank you all for the prayers and kind words during our battle with Kristin’s GBM cancer. It’s a wicked disease but we’re trying to make the best of it. As we told the docs, “We won’t live scared and stay in the house, we choose to live strong and enjoy life while we can together.”

Comment

Thank you IowaHunter for taking the time to add your family's history to Sacagawea's as well as posting about your experience.
                            I'm not familiar with the story of your wife's illness or where things are now but I will pray that He gives y'all the grace, strength and peace to accept what ever God's will is as you move forward. Fear not.

Gary

Comment

Sacagawea arrived today. I am planning a hog hunt with her. I'll post pics and etc. later.

Comment

Have fun with her!

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X