Best and Worst Public Land/Draw Hunts for Texas-Opinions Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTexHunter8 View Post
    Thank you everyone for all the amazing information on drawn hunts. Going on my first one at Lake Somerville sp this year. This is definitely a reason to pony up and get my APH every year.

The drawn hunts and the APH hunts are two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
      The drawn hunts and the APH hunts are two different things.
      An APH and Texas hunting license is required to participate in these hunts.
      That's quoting tpwd. I guess I'm not sure which hunts don't require the APH?

Comment

Best and Worst Public Land/Draw Hunts for Texas-Opinions Wanted

Originally posted by EastTexHunter8 View Post
        An APH and Texas hunting license is required to participate in these hunts.

That's quoting tpwd. I guess I'm not sure which hunts don't require the APH?

The lottery-style drawn hunts do not require the APH.

The e-postcard hunts are now a subset of the drawn hunts and they do require a APH, but they are also free to enter.
        The ‘regular’ draw hunts cost $3 to enter and do not require the APH.
        Hopefully that clears it up a little for you.

Edit: I looked up lake Somerville’s hunts.
        I don’t see any hunts that require the APH.
        Where did you see that quote?
        Last edited by denowt; 12-13-2019, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          I’ve hunted James Daughtry, Davis Mountains, Choke Canyon North Shore
          Seminole Canyon and Elephant Mountain.

Of those, the only one I continue to put in for is Daughtry.
          Didn’t see a single deer at Choke NS.

How was Davis Mtns and elephant mtn? I really want to draw those. I hear it’s brutal terrain, but I’m drawn to the ridiculously difficult...

Comment

Kerr great roads and staff,...Been 3 diff years..GS youth hunt killed 129 class.. I killed 3 hogs on one shot ...always see game but not what I want...Been to Chaparrel 2 diff years I saw nothing...wife got nice 130class...GD shot a Javalina Roads OK and Staff Good....Potential is there

Been on Bow hunts at Aransas WLR and Laguna A..too many times to count ...All Great..Lots of walking and Sketters ...and Game
            Last edited by cva34; 12-13-2019, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
              The lottery-style drawn hunts do not require the APH.

The e-postcard hunts are now a subset of the drawn hunts and they do require a APH, but they are also free to enter.
              The ‘regular’ draw hunts cost $3 to enter and do not require the APH.
              Hopefully that clears it up a little for you.

Edit: I looked up lake Somerville’s hunts.
              I don’t see any hunts that require the APH.
              Where did you see that quote?
              Thank you for clearing that up. I found that on the fees page on tpwd.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                How was Davis Mtns and elephant mtn? I really want to draw those. I hear it’s brutal terrain, but I’m drawn to the ridiculously difficult...

It was very tough. Beautiful place. Most of the Javi and Aoudad hang out in the campground area, where they are safe.
                We did see javis in our hunt area the first day but they stayed just out of bow range.
                After the first day we didn’t see any more over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  Di you hunt the Sharky’s parking lot or the park over by the ferry?
                  I laughed out loud on this! I think his auto correct messed up his text.

Comment

Just did the Pedernales Falls SP Annex muzzle loader/archery hunt. Enjoyed it very much. Would do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                      Aransas WR is the only one I've been to that I'll never go back. Yall can have them skeeters.
                      No joke. That hunt is not a lot of fun and not managed well

I did Devil's River last year (I feel very lucky). It was fun, but pretty tough hunting.

Comment

Just wanted to drop a thanks for all those that have left a comment about their draw experiences. I'm fairly new to Texas and jumped at the opportunity to apply last year for some of the hunts. Think I applied for 27 total hunts, both e-postcard and paid. Ended up drawing Richland Waterfowl, Gus Engling Antlerless, and Hag Turkey. Enjoyed all of the hunts, and all but Richland Creek Waterfowl required work to be successful. Put in 27 miles on foot and bike at Hag for the turkey alone, but wouldn't trade it for anything since it was my first Rio. Would love to harvest a deer in each of the Texas Ecoregions, so I've got apps in across the state for the 2020 draw. Thanks again to all for the comments. They've helped as I'm making my draw list....

Comment

Originally posted by Justintime99 View Post
                          Just wanted to drop a thanks for all those that have left a comment about their draw experiences. I'm fairly new to Texas and jumped at the opportunity to apply last year for some of the hunts. Think I applied for 27 total hunts, both e-postcard and paid. Ended up drawing Richland Waterfowl, Gus Engling Antlerless, and Hag Turkey. Enjoyed all of the hunts, and all but Richland Creek Waterfowl required work to be successful. Put in 27 miles on foot and bike at Hag for the turkey alone, but wouldn't trade it for anything since it was my first Rio. Would love to harvest a deer in each of the Texas Ecoregions, so I've got apps in across the state for the 2020 draw. Thanks again to all for the comments. They've helped as I'm making my draw list....

Good luck this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like Nannie Stringfellow. Always see something. Since I moved from Galveston county its too far for me to drive to so ya'll put in for this one.

Comment

The only hunt better than Granger might be Hagerman.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                                Imagine that, same thing at Richland Creek, there was an old local that got drawn standby every... d@mn... year Not sure if he is still around or not.
                                You talking about the game warden? He killed a couple of nice ones during the archery hunts on standby. Heck of a nice guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X