Stalking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalking

Today is shaping up for a good, slow stalk day! How slow do you guys like to move? I’ve got a habit of trying to move too quickly, but the last couple of times I’ve slowed it down a lot and its paid off.
    What kind what kind of pace do you guys like to move at, or any other tips for stalking white tail?
    Last edited by JLivi1224; 12-10-2019, 04:31 AM.

I will usually try to keep my movement to 3 steps, then stop but that depends on the type of cover you are hunting. I have spent more time still hunting than any other method and usually find myself naturally trying to speed up and have to remind myself to slow it down.

Comment

I too move faster than I should. There is a piece of public in east texas that has a road not to far off that runs parallel to a trail that's perfect for still hunting. I wait until I hear a car coming then move 20 or 30 yards then stage next to a tree and glass until another car passes. I'm headed up tomorrow in another location hoping the leaves are wet enough to get in without much noise.

Comment

They were today for sure ! Problem was it never quit raining on me.

Comment

Find it easier after a rain so the the ground is wet and not as loud when taking steps. Over cast days seem to help also so the sun doesn’t give you away. Slower the better and as always play the wind. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
            I will usually try to keep my movement to 3 steps, then stop but that depends on the type of cover you are hunting. I have spent more time still hunting than any other method and usually find myself naturally trying to speed up and have to remind myself to slow it down.
            +1

Comment

Burning this up. Anyone have any other methods that have worked well for you?

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                Burning this up. Anyone have any other methods that have worked well for you?
                Texas hunting doesn't usually lend itself well to stalking but depending on where you hunt there can be lots of advantages if you're in the right areas. I shot this buck laying on the ground sleeping at around 1pm at 25 yards on public land the weekend before last. I only moved when 18 wheelers were on the nearby highway with lots of road noise (which is quite a bit) and took advantage of a couple airplanes going over.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Texas hunting doesn't usually lend itself well to stalking but depending on where you hunt there can be lots of advantages if you're in the right areas. I shot this buck laying on the ground sleeping at around 1pm at 25 yards on public land the weekend before last. I only moved when 18 wheelers were on the nearby highway with lots of road noise (which is quite a bit) and took advantage of a couple airplanes going over.

Way to go man!

Comment

Great job on that deer, that is a tough stalk!
                    I think I will add some info here for hog stalking.
                    When the hogs are up and active of course the wind is everything, if they smell you they are going to leave. BUT, when I still hunt hogs while they are bedded I try to keep my scent blowing to them or where I think they will be bedded. Especially when it is warm out, a hog will almost refuse to leave their bed unless you are on top of them. Many times I have been w/in a couple feet of them, I can smell them but can't get a visual so I stop and stare into the brush and look for an eye or the twitch of an ear as close as 5 feet is not uncommon. They will bust out if you stay there long enough but usually one of them will give a grunt of displeasure first giving you a short window to get a shot off. I love to use my longbow but that can be almost impossible to get a shot off. Best to have no scope or low power scope that goes down to 1x, 2x at most. This can be the most fun and rewarding hunting there is. Remember to always be using your nose, if you smell them they are near or have just been there so slow down.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      Great job on that deer, that is a tough stalk!
                      I think I will add some info here for hog stalking.
                      When the hogs are up and active of course the wind is everything, if they smell you they are going to leave. BUT, when I still hunt hogs while they are bedded I try to keep my scent blowing to them or where I think they will be bedded. Especially when it is warm out, a hog will almost refuse to leave their bed unless you are on top of them. Many times I have been w/in a couple feet of them, I can smell them but can't get a visual so I stop and stare into the brush and look for an eye or the twitch of an ear as close as 5 feet is not uncommon. They will bust out if you stay there long enough but usually one of them will give a grunt of displeasure first giving you a short window to get a shot off. I love to use my longbow but that can be almost impossible to get a shot off. Best to have no scope or low power scope that goes down to 1x, 2x at most. This can be the most fun and rewarding hunting there is. Remember to always be using your nose, if you smell them they are near or have just been there so slow down.
                      That sounds like an awesome application for a 10mm mag dump.

Comment

Working...
                      X