Tab in cold weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tab in cold weather?

Ive been using a glove from alaska bowhunting supply for the last decade or so. Finally need to replace it and Im trying convince myself to go to a tab. I have a feeling I would shoot better with one but Im seriously concerned about using one in cold weather.

Mh question: has anyone shot with a tab in cold weather with a thin wool or similar glove on their string hand? How did it effect your shooting, if at all?

FYI I shoot three under
    Last edited by Felix40; 11-29-2019, 07:15 PM.

Yep, wear thin Aviator gloves, no effect on shooting. Does pay to practice a little with it first before you hunt with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a hand muff like a quarterback has. I then use thin fleece gloves. The right hand glove has the first 3 fingers cut off, and that system works really well for me. I also don’t like any kind of glove on my bow hand, so when a critter comes in that I might shoot, I just take the glove off my left hand.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I left my glove in the truck one morning up in Missouri. I had my medium weight camo gloves with me and on as it was in the low 20s. After seeing nothing all morning I finished off with a thumper tipped arrow shot at a tuft of grass. I was surprised the release was good and the shot dead on.

Gary

Comment

Thats encouraging that at least one person has been able to shoot with a glove on under a tab. I will probably give it a try.

The three fingers cut off thing may work sometimes but when its super cold Ive noticed I need something covering my fingers. I have fold back mittens that I will put over a very thin knit glove. I just want to be able to be ready for a shot for as long as needed and sometimes that means being on the string for a long time

Comment

I use a tab and find I can make it work with those finger less flip back mittens. That's the best solution I have so far. You can definitely use a tab with thin gloves on. I do that a lot in early season, with the gloves being permethrin treated.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
              I use a tab and find I can make it work with those finger less flip back mittens. That's the best solution I have so far.
              That's what I do, and it works great for me.

With the string hand it's like not having a glove on at all.

The padding of the mitten on the bow hand feels weird, but it don't effect my shot any, so I've learned to ignore it.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I use a hand muff like a quarterback has. I then use thin fleece gloves. The right hand glove has the first 3 fingers cut off, and that system works really well for me. I also don’t like any kind of glove on my bow hand, so when a critter comes in that I might shoot, I just take the glove off my left hand.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                was going to comment my specs but this is exactly what I do!

Comment

I have a nice muff as well. They work great. But the Sitka jacket and vest I bought have one built in so that is nice.

Gary

Comment

I cannot shoot a tab with a glove on. Just doesn't work for me. Muffs are also not always that helpful in situations where I am in a tree stand or something and I need to keep my movements to a minimum. A muff doesn't help when you are walking to your stand either, etc.

I take a thick sock and I cut off the end of it and I wear that on my tab hand. On my bow hand I have a wool glove. The sock covers my hand when I am walking or need to keep it warm. When I need to shoot, I can pull my hand through and shoot with the tab. The tab is always on my hand, etc.

It is a system that works pretty well for the last 3 or so years. It is simple to pull the sock back over my hand, etc and it keeps it warm. I keep the wind off my hands by putting them in a jacket... and if it is really cold, I will use hot hands in my pocket.

Also, I have found that shooting a tab... I can shoot with a glove pretty easily now too. Once I left my tab at home (actually my whole archery box) and so I wasn't gonna just not hunt, so I just used a pair of camo work gloves from the truck. took a few practice shots, everything was fine and dandy at 15 yards and closer... so I went hunting. Pretty sure I shot and killed a hog that night too.

Comment

I have a muff, fold back mittens, handwarmers and all that. The problem is that when its 15-20 and windy I need my fingers covered constantly to be able to shoot well. I went ahead and ordered a tab but havent played with it yet. I have a hunt next week so Im going to stick with the glove until that is over, even though its in rough shape. Ill probably post again after I try the tab with a glove thing

Comment

I bought a sam tab before hunting season. Didn't shoot it much but I think it will work. I'm going to trim and get use to it after season. Probably try one of Rick's tabs as well.

Gary

Comment

This is how I handle cold...

Comment

You know Scott that's not just a good idea for the string hand but a long one on the bow hand would would as a sleeve tamer/keeper as well. I like that.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X