No announcement yet.

Processor wouldn’t give my son his deer head until meat is processed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I understand the law, the processor is correct. But if you took the deer to your Taxidermist first he could remove the head and provide you with a "proof of sex" receipt. Then you could take the carcass to the processor.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

The "used to be's " on this thread crack me up...

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Bull hockey
        Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
          The way I understand the law, the processor is correct. But if you took the deer to your Taxidermist first he could remove the head and provide you with a "proof of sex" receipt. Then you could take the carcass to the processor.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
          This is exactly what the GW told me. He said a WRD will not work for taking the deer head from the processor because it has to be quartered and logged into the logbook-( once it is quartered and logged no tag or WRD is required to take the head)The way he explained it the processor could also be ticketed if the head was removed by them and the deer was not quartered or processed. Clear Fork processor in Graham.

Comment

Some of you struggle with reading comprehension...

Rule is clear for the situation the OP described. IF he had already quartered it then no, he would not need to leave the head.

Comment

The law seems crystal clear thanks to what several have posted. Processor is correct and following the law.

I have taken deer in quartered and took the head. Also took deer in just field dressed and had to pick up the head with the meat. Never thought much of it but now I know the “why” behind it. Processor sure doesn’t need to get in a bind because I didn’t skin and quarter my own buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                Reading this thread gave me stomach cramps.

I though you already had them today

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                  The "used to be's " on this thread crack me up...
                  And the "well, I do it this way so you should too"

Comment

Doesn’t the processor enter animals into cold storage book upon bringing animals in?
                    That’s how we used to do it the place I worked for.

I took some meat in a zip loc last year and processor asked for tag. I killed the deer in November took the deer in January. Told him his guess was as good as mine. Surprised the man didn’t call me.

Comment

We use to leave manhood or mamory gland attached to the hind quarter for proof of sex

Comment

[QUOTE=cbd10pt;14552187]We use to leave manhood or mamory gland attached to the hind quarter for proof of sex “

Neither of these things qualifies for proof of sex. The book says that proof of sex is the skinned or un-skinned head, with antlers attached if a buck. Does can have antlers and mammary glands, and bucks can be without antlers but have testicles. If a doe has antlers, you would use a buck tag, because she meets the legal definition of a buck. If a buck didn’t have antlers, you would use an antlerless tag. In either of these scenarios, the only way to justify which tag you used is with the head.

Comment

I live a couple miles from a processing plant.and use it often... I haven’t connected with a buck this year..but last year and practically every season before..I’ll drive up..with it field dressed..in the back of the truck..I’ll remove the tag from the bucks horns..then carry the tag inside..and fill out paperwork on how I want it processed.... After paying a percentage down..I then have them cut the horns off and take them with me..or head..for euro mount.... If I want it caped..I come back the next day and pick up....

Comment

The lack of comprehension and thinking things through shows more and more everyday in peoples comments.
                            The law is clear with the deer not quartered.
                            Also we do not have buck and doe tags, or male/ female tags.
                            We have Antlered and Antlerless tags, therefore the head is your "proof of sex"

Comment

...unless taken on mld... in which case, the tag is the proof of sex....

But yeh.. i didnt think the op's scenario was that difficult to follow.

Comment

Quarter it yourself like many others do.

Comment

Working...
                                X