Oklahoma Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Buck

Monday the 14th we had some snow at the lease. I sat through the afternoon enjoying the winter wonderland. It was cold and I was hunting a new spot. I saddle hunt so I seldom hunt the same tree twice. The spot I found was next to a dry creek running north and south in heavy timber. It had a glade to the east. As I reached hunting height a mature buck passed under my tree. Later in the afternoon I saw a shooter buck traveling south of my set. I grunted and he turned my way only to stop and return to his original path. The remainder of the evening unfolded with a couple does passing through. Although the hunt didn’t end with an opportunity it left me with valuable intel. I had been hunting for several days and decided to head back home for some much rest and time with the wife. Although I was happy to be home the nagging feeling linger of the need to return for a hunt before Oklahoma rifle season turns the woods inside out. I told my wife Thursday morning I might go back up to hunt that afternoon and next morning before returning to pick them up for my son to rifle hunt on a different Oklahoma property. She encouraged me to trust my instincts. I returned to area and I was headed into the woods when I observed a scrape on the tree line. I saw buck tracks on a well established trail. I followed the trail to the east where there’s a well defined funnel. The same dry creek mentioned earlier runs east and west 20 yards north and parallel to the tree line. South of the tree line is a ridge also running east and west with a small line of trees separating it from a large field creating a 50 wide opening for about 200 yards where the opening ends to the east. As I approached the end of the opening I found a good tree to set up in. I broke off some limbs to create shooting lanes. I ascended the tree. When I reached the top
    I realized I forgot to beak off a dead sapling that was directly in the trajectory of where I scattered some corn. I figured I would just have to deal with it. A little later cattle moved in and started heading to the corn. I rappelled down and shewed the cows away. Since I was down I broke off the sapling. I went back up the tree using my rappel rope. The evening was crisp clear and beautiful. I wasn’t seeing deer but was still enjoying god’s beauty. A couple of armadillos kept me company most of the afternoon. Twenty minutes or so before end of shooting light I caught movement to my left in the heavy woods crossing the creek. I couldn’t tell at first what was headed my way but as the deer enter the opening I became aware a shooter buck was headed my way. He started towards the open field but just as I was about to grunt he turned and headed down the path straight to me. I was at full draw when he stopped. I settled my EZV sight over his vitals and let the arrow fly. The flight of the arrow went directly over the broken sapling. The arrow impacted center lungs and exited low just behind the off shoulder. He bolted straight ahead for 75 yards stopped turn hard right disappeared and crashed. Certain he was dow I gave him a few minutes and then descended the tree. I found my arrow with the single beveled broadhead buried a few inches into the dirt. I could see the light frothy blood indicating a good lung shot. I went to the area where I last seen him and started a grid search. I knew I was close because I was to detect his musky/rut smell. After a couple of passes, I found him lying in some brush but in a relative open space. He’s not the biggest buck but he’s the biggest buck I’ve ever killed. 13 countable points with double split G twos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Congrats

Comment

Very nice buck. Congrats on a great bow kill.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Waydago!

Comment

Congrats on a great bow killed buck.

Comment

Beauty! Nice tale. [emoji469][emoji469]. Congrats

Comment

Great buck,congratulations sir.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk