Camera height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera height

I’ve been hanging my cameras at hip height and seems to do ok. Are y’all doing anything different? If so why? Other than theft is there any reason to hang em higher?

Theft or flood....neither of which I have had to deal with, so I'm usually around 36"

Comment

If you are in a sensitive area like a bedding area or a tight trail a mature buck will spot them, and most times it spooks him out of there. You will get the famous last picture of him staring right at the camera and then be wondering why you haven't gotten any more pictures of him afterwards. Set them 6 plus foot high and angle them down and set them as far back as possible catching the deer moving left to right never head on or they may spot it. Just my experience in my area of North Texas the big boys are real smart.

Comment

I've just recently hunted Illinois, and Luna's strategy is spot on. Never really thought about it but our guide swore the same thing. He either put them higher or further back to determine traveling patterns.

Comment

Who sell the adjustable camera mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
            I like one sold by HME. Lightweight and easy to adjust to any angle.

Comment

Waist high. Any higher and you miss some pics. Deer are much shorter than people imagine.

Comment

Mine are all 6-7 feet up on private land. The amount of deer that noticed the camera is substantially lower. I run a lot of video too and at waist height almost every deer would notice camera, especially at night. Coyotes at night will turn inside out with IR from camera set low

PLUS…. Those 120” deer turn into 125” when you kill them vs 140” turning into 110” from shrinkage. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                  Waist high. Any higher and you miss some pics. Deer are much shorter than people imagine.
                  At 6’ my Browning’s will video deer from 3 yards to out of bow range! In HD quality!!!

Comment

I used to have all of mine up and angled down. I could sit in the stand watching animals in front of the camera yet not get pictures. I moved them to above waist high and now the 2 I moved lower with a level field of view keep drawing the batteries down. Capturing too many pics! These are all over feeders.

Comment

Higher means ability to get a greater view of area when collecting inventory but pics aren't detailed. It's great to do on public land or scouting new places to get a feel

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve got one of mine about 8 foot in the air looking down .
                        You have to get in the bed of the buggy to fool with it. Cows kept eating the solar panel wires to the camera. This has fixed that issue

I wish the wires were Tabasco flavored instead of licorice flavored.….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

camera

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          I've used the one made by Pine. Just take a piece of pine and wedge it near the top of the camera, pointing the camera down.
                          Seems to work pretty good for me.

Comment

My height depends on what I am trying to capture. Feeder, feed pen, trail, also if cattle are a issue or even trespassers. Knee to hip are my usual area.....but terrain is also a element I pay attention to.
                            Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                            I've used the one made by Pine. Just take a piece of pine and wedge it near the top of the camera, pointing the camera down.
                            Seems to work pretty good for me.
                            ditto

Comment

I might have to try easing mine. All are currently waist high.

Comment

Working...
                              X