Putting gun safe in a shop/barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting gun safe in a shop/barn

Does anyone have their safe bolted to the floor/studs in a shop/barn?

If so, what issues/solutions am I looking at as far as humidity or anything else?

Spare room in the new home is going to very scarce so was looking at this option instead.

Thanks for any input.

Golden rod or 40 watt light in the safe, if you can still find incandescent bulbs. And check and maintain guns regularly.

Comment

I have one bolted down in my barn. I run a golden rod and a big canister of desiccant made by hornady. Zero problems in the five years I have had guns in it.

Comment

I’ve had mine in the garage going on 4 years. A Golden Rod rated for at least the size of your safe will be fine, I’ve had 0 rust issues with the contents in mine.

That said, I do run one rated for about twice the size my safe is.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
          I’ve had mine in the garage going on 4 years. A Golden Rod rated for at least the size of your safe will be fine, I’ve had 0 rust issues with the contents in mine.

That said, I do run one rated for about twice the size my safe is.
          ^^^^This. Mine has been in the garage for 5 years with just a Golden Rod and not a single issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
            Does anyone have their safe bolted to the floor/studs in a shop/barn?

If so, what issues/solutions am I looking at as far as humidity or anything else?

Spare room in the new home is going to very scarce so was looking at this option instead.

Thanks for any input.
            Just tell the wife the safe is going in the bed room.

Next thing you'll be making a thread about putting your deer mounts in the barn. Grow a pair Chew. SMH

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              Just tell the wife the safe is going in the bed room.

Next thing you'll be making a thread about putting your deer mounts in the barn. Grow a pair Chew. SMH

I'm already going to be living in a tiny house. I'm not going to have room to chase the wife around nekkid if I put a safe in there. [emoji38]

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

I'm already going to be living in a tiny house. I'm not going to have room to chase the wife around nekkid if I put a safe in there. [emoji38]

Easier to catch them when there is obstacles in their way.

Comment

If you don’t lay off the Little Debbry, that day’s coming sooner rather than later !

Comment

I had a 1,200 lb safe bolted to the the concrete floor of my garage w/8”x 1/2” anchors. Safe was tucked in against the wall down from the door and not visible driving by.
                    SOB’s cut the lock on the door, wrapped a chain around it several times, hooked up their truck and literally spun it loose from the concrete. Anchors tore chunks out of the floor. Used a ramp to slide it on the truck along with a truckload of construction tools. They left the ramp and chain there.
                    No close neighbors, at night and during a thunderstorm so no one saw/heard anything. Never recovered anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                      I had a 1,200 lb safe bolted to the the concrete floor of my garage w/8”x 1/2” anchors. Safe was tucked in against the wall down from the door and not visible driving by.

SOB’s cut the lock on the door, wrapped a chain around it several times, hooked up their truck and literally spun it loose from the concrete. Anchors tore chunks out of the floor. Used a ramp to slide it on the truck along with a truckload of construction tools. They left the ramp and chain there.

No close neighbors, at night and during a thunderstorm so no one saw/heard anything. Never recovered anything.
                      Holy Shiite Muslim. That's dedication.

Comment

Mine is in a shipping container for the last 6 years and no issues

Comment

My dad had one in a houston garage from about 1980 to 2002 without issues. Didn't even have a golden rod in it. It wasn't exactly air tight but nothing rusted

Comment

Only bolt down the rear bolts.....that way if your concrete cracks or shifts it won't bind up the door.

Like someone else said above buy and install the proper size Goldenrod.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                              How did the tvrds know it was there and what tools they needed to get it the way they did? Put it where you want it, use a golden rod, lock it down as best you can and have cameras. Necessity breeds ingenuity and you can’t stop a determined perp just maximize his exposure with time and noise….

Comment

Working...
                              X