Spring training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring training

My son is all about the Astros, and is playing select ball. I figured he would enjoy the trip to spring training.

Anyone been? What's the scoop?

Oh that would be fun. In for answers.

Comment

My wife and I have been to Rangers spring training in Surprise AZ twice. I know the Stros are in Florida but I’m sure the vibe is the same. It’s a great time and a must for any avid baseball fan. Not just the games but getting to wander around the practice fields and seeing your favorite stars and young prospects competing for a roster spot. Most don’t mind you approaching them for a picture when they are between sessions and standing around. We stayed at an Embassy Suites and one of the things I enjoyed the most was their happy hour. The bar was full of fans from all over the country - it was great to drink a few beers and talk baseball with fellow baseball fans.
      Last edited by jerp; 10-18-2022, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I took my son to see the Rangers and the Royals the summer before his 9th grade yr. He's big into baseball(his goal is to be a GM one day), but he brought all his baseball cards of guys he knew would be there and many new baseballs to get signed. I as an adult had a blast, we saw Tommy Lasorda, Jeff Bannister, and met George Brett, Jon Daniels. the players will be alot more acceptable to pictures and autographs. Not sure how it's set up in Florida, but if you check the schedules you can go to different ball parks every day(two teams share a stadium and one will have workout facilities on 1st base side, the other on 3rd base side. All the stadiums are about 30 mins from each other. They practice till mid morning then go to clubhouse and get ready for an afternoon/evening game. Go online and do a search for Astro's spring training guides. There will be more info on where to stay and what all you can do or expect. I'm 51 yrs old and would love to go back!

Comment

Spring training is a lot of fun if you're a baseball guy. It's MLB guys and near to MLB guys playing and you get to see a lot of different guys. It's more laid back, and there are often hall of famers hanging around.

Comment

Personally, I've never been, but I've heard that it is a blast! Opportunities to get up close and personal with the players are many. I would love to go some time.

Comment

As teenagers we use to love to go to camelback ranch to chill out and watch the interaction on the field. We had access to the three Westside parks with a little drive. The skill of all the players were outstanding. If you have a young kid playing baseball the spring training parks are a great place for them to have the time of their lives.

Comment

Working...
              X