Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old golf irons connoisseurs, I have this set...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old golf irons connoisseurs, I have this set...

My grandfather passed away in 1987 and had been a huge golfer for most of his life. He had about 5 sets of clubs in his closet that me and my brothers used to pull out and play with all the time. Persimmon heads, wood shafts, and all sorts of others. He was the Dallas Country Club champion one year that I know of and played to about a 2 handicap. Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, and Ben Hogan were talked about a LOT! Heck, my grandfather even played in long sleeves, a tie and his fedora hat.

But I digress. While cleaning out my grandfather's warehouse in Dallas I came upon a set of clubs, still in the original box. Wilson Staff Dynapower irons with leather wrap grips. The grips had been eaten off by the rats and some of the irons had rusted a little, but I kept them. I sent them off to be rechromed, regripped them and have played them some. Hitting these old blade style clubs is a little different than my cavity backs, but I have shot my best round of 79 with them. I quit playing golf for abut 12 years and have just recently picked it back up. I've regripped these clubs again and after I get enough practice in will be playing them.

I've asked Wilson Sports for information about the clubs, but they were unable to help at this time. They don't keep records evidently, but I' guessing these irons were made in about 1968 or 1969.

I'd like to find out when they were made, what the lofts are, etc. and I was hoping someone on the green screen might have an idea. I have attached a picture off the internet of what the clubs look like.

Anyone have an idea of when they were made? Loft?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilson_staff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	25288612

very cool!!!

Comment

I love old golf clubs. Back when you knew if your swing was good. If not, your hands were numb and a 4 iron went about 80 yards lol

Comment

I think your time frame is about right for that set. Wilson made variations of that model for a number of years. I think those were one of the last models made. I remember they were popular at the time.

Comment

Butter knife blades.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
            I think your time frame is about right for that set. Wilson made variations of that model for a number of years. I think those were one of the last models made. I remember they were popular at the time.
            I think your correct. I can't find anything online about the lofts. I'd be interested to see what they are in comparison to my Taylormades. I 'm thinking they are a little weaker lofted than my current set. My firesole PW is 45* and I think the Wilson PW is 50*. I'm estimating that based on the distances I'm hitting them.

I really like hitting that 2 iron.

Comment

My dad bought a set when he came back from Vietnam so 1968-1969 seems about right
              I used them in college till a buddy gave me a set of hogans

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, that's them! Thanks for the find. Now if I can just figure out the lofts.

Comment

Lofts are going to be really week, back then 7 iron was around 38 deg. I want to saw a PW played around 48 deg.

Comment

Originally posted by DJR View Post
                      Lofts are going to be really week, back then 7 iron was around 38 deg. I want to saw a PW played around 48 deg.
                      I'm thinking so as well. My firesole PW is 45* and I think the Wilson PW is really close to if not right on 50*

I don't hit these as far as my Taylormade irons for sure. The Wilson 2 iron I've been hitting about the same distance as my other 3 iron.

Comment

Take them to Comanche Trace or a golf club in your area. They can check the loft for you. If not they will know a few folks that repair culbs around Kerrville.
                        Pretty cool story.

Comment

Here are your lofts:

1 iron 17
                          2 iron 20
                          3 iron 23
                          4 iron 26
                          5 iron 29
                          6 iron 32
                          7 iron 36
                          8 iron 40
                          9 iron 45
                          PW 50

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
                            Here are your lofts:

1 iron 17
                            2 iron 20
                            3 iron 23
                            4 iron 26
                            5 iron 29
                            6 iron 32
                            7 iron 36
                            8 iron 40
                            9 iron 45
                            PW 50
                            Nice!! Where on earth did you find that information?

Comment

Those old forged blades can be bent to adjust loft, hit them enough and they may already be self adjusted. I have some old Hogan Apex irons I still hit around and those are all off but once you know the club you are good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X