Product development??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product development??

I have a idea for a apparatuses that I think is marketable. I'll leave it unnamed for the moment, but for sake of discussion lets just say its a folding camp chair. I've built and tested a prototype and I think it can be made and sold 90% cheaper than the next best think in that market. I need to find manufacturing, from individual parts (like the bag, tubing, nuts and bolts) to a complete turnkey deal where someone else assembles and packages it.

Does anyone have any experience in looking for these resources?

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    I have a idea for a apparatuses that I think is marketable. I'll leave it unnamed for the moment, but for sake of discussion lets just say its a folding camp chair. I've built and tested a prototype and I think it can be made and sold 90% cheaper than the next best think in that market. I need to find manufacturing, from individual parts (like the bag, tubing, nuts and bolts) to a complete turnkey deal where someone else assembles and packages it.

Does anyone have any experience in looking for these resources?
    Nothing??? Don't let me down green screen.

Comment

US or overseas?

Comment

Shark tank

Comment

A lot of people turn to China for these things. I had a very negative experience doing that. My suggestion is to look and see who your competitors use. Most times they will want to work for you as well and you can just change a small detail on what the product is and they can make money on both of you. Depending on what you are looking for, you can get with companies like Granger or something similar to buy in bulk

Comment

Talk to some local small business owner groups in your area and see if anyone has some input.

Comment

I would first do a serious market analysis to see what the competition looks like.
              Using the chair example, I would think it would need to be something completely unique, as camp chairs have price points from $10 to $200 and everywhere in between. IMO, cost can't be the only separating factor if the market is saturated already.

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                I would first do a serious market analysis to see what the competition looks like.
                Using the chair example, I would think it would need to be something completely unique, as camp chairs have price points from $10 to $200 and everywhere in between. IMO, cost can't be the only separating factor if the market is saturated already.
                I used the camp chair as a example for the type of parts that need to be manufactured. Storage bag, metal tubing bolted or riveted together, canvas and webbing sewn parts like the seat.

As far as the market goes. this is in the medical equipment market the competition is over the top on prices. This apparatuses can be made for less than $60, my prototype cost $50 and my time. The closes thing I can find sell for $1500.

And this is completely unique.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                  US or overseas?
                  US preferably.

Comment

How long does it take to build? Have you built your own version yet? Do you need more than one person to build it?

I have friends that do something similar, the difference being they built everything themselves, from prototypes, to marketing, to distribution. They constructed dies, templates, and everything else such that it's dang near mindless and any old knuckle dragger can do it, and there is almost no cost if the product flops. They also did a ton of market research to find similar products, purchased those products, read reviews on the competitor products, addressed the shortcomings of the competitor products in their own product, and so much other stuff to ensure they would be successful. They have been on motortrend tv on a couple different mechanic shows to showcase their product. (Oil Udder if you are interested)

My point is, there is a ton of work to go form idea to reality.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                      How long does it take to build? Have you built your own version yet? Do you need more than one person to build it?

I have friends that do something similar, the difference being they built everything themselves, from prototypes, to marketing, to distribution. They constructed dies, templates, and everything else such that it's dang near mindless and any old knuckle dragger can do it, and there is almost no cost if the product flops. They also did a ton of market research to find similar products, purchased those products, read reviews on the competitor products, addressed the shortcomings of the competitor products in their own product, and so much other stuff to ensure they would be successful. They have been on motortrend tv on a couple different mechanic shows to showcase their product. (Oil Udder if you are interested)

My point is, there is a ton of work to go form idea to reality.
                      I built the first one in 2 hours from parts from my daughters old trampoline and a old lifejacket. Took me 2 hours to weld it up. I bought all the parts for the second one online and built it for $50 but still used the old lifejacket. It took me about 15 minutes to assemble. As far as the framework goes, I can tool up to do that myself fairly easy. Its the soft goods stuff that I really need the help with.

I've heard of places where you can send a set of drawings and have many different companies quote on manufacturing. Has anyone ever done this?

Comment

I've heard of places where you can send a set of drawings and have many different companies quote on manufacturing. Has anyone ever done this?
                        Check out fiverr.com, it's a freelance marketplace for basically anything. You may be able to find someone who specializes in the manufacturing space or at least get headed in the right direction.

I've used fiverr many times with great results on other projects.

Comment

I used the camp chair as a example for the type of parts that need to be manufactured. Storage bag, metal tubing bolted or riveted together, canvas and webbing sewn parts like the seat.

As far as the market goes. this is in the medical equipment market the competition is over the top on prices. This apparatuses can be made for less than $60, my prototype cost $50 and my time. The closes thing I can find sell for $1500.

And this is completely unique.
                          Sounds like you've done the research and could provide a better quality product. Keep us posted on progress.
                          No help on the manufacturing but it can be a deal breaker ... my dad had massive production issues with his extreme cold-weather hunting clothing company called Northern Outfitters. It was manufactured in a prison in Utah. That came to an end, and it was either go the Bangladesh sweatshop route and kill the quality or pay 10x for US made. He closed shop in the end- couldn't make the numbers work.

Comment

Contract manufacturing...I’ve worked with these guys in the past.

Since our inception in 1990, we have gained significant and extensive manufacturing experience with many different U.S. corporations in a variety of industries, some with multi-national operations and locations.

Comment

Working...
                            X