What Are My Best Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt in Harison County in ETX. 30 acres, heavy heavy hunting pressure all around me. I run 2 spin corn feeders year round. Never see deer. I planted a food plot last year. 1 deer all season. I considered protein but I really don't think it is worth the expense for 30 acres. I am considering different options. Maybe go to 1 spin feeder and try PVC pipe gravity feeders? It is pines and a hardwood bottom with a creek running through it. In 2017 a tornado came through and wiped out almost all of the hardwoods along the creek. Now, it so thick in brush and briers you cannot even walk in there. I hunt the pipeline. My homemade blind sits on an old railroad tram and my feeders are set 1 to the East and 1 to the West on the pipeline. I just set a camera Veterans Day weekend on a pile of rice bran. I will check it at Thanksgiving.
    Attached Files

Hand corn, remove pop up and use a brush blind.

If it’s to be used as a hunting property, don’t go on it.

That’s all I’ve got.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post

That’s all I’ve got.
      He lives in Killeen, no way he can hand corn, probably isn’t visiting the property too much from that distance…..but…..somebody else might be. I would put a couple more cameras up and see if someone is helping you that you aren’t aware of. No way there shouldn’t be some deer on that thirty acres. Be careful of wind direction when you hunt, deer can smell our stinkin’ azzes much farther than lots of folks think. If it’s blowing the wrong way, just stay home. I’d rather not hunt than be busted. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post

That’s all I’ve got.
        Thanks. I like the brush blind idea but I do worry about snakes. Lot of copperheads and cottonmouth there. How could I build a brush blind on that tram?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          He lives in Killeen, no way he can hand corn, probably isn’t visiting the property too much from that distance…..but…..somebody else might be. I would put a couple more cameras up and see if someone is helping you that you aren’t aware of. No way there shouldn’t be some deer on that thirty acres. Be careful of wind direction when you hunt, deer can smell our stinkin’ azzes much farther than lots of folks think. If it’s blowing the wrong way, just stay home. I’d rather not hunt than be busted. Good luck !
          My brother in law does a little hand corn for me when I come home. I have thought about getting rid of one feeder and using PVC pipe feeders to see if that would help. Also thought about a blind further up the pipeline so I don't have to walk so far and I could just look one direction but that would be a long shot if a deer comes out on the other side of the creek by that Moultrie feeder.

Comment

One place I used to hunt, I hoisted my feeder about 30 ft in the air with a rope and pully, so the deer didn't see it... worked pretty well... it was just a 30 gallon feeder.

Comment

I would clear out a little section for your pop up to sit back in the brush. Conceal it with surrounding brush and make you a platform for the blind to sit on to help ease your caution of copper heads. I would also recommend pulling the spin feeders and adding some pvc feeders with a couple protein blocks next to them. Use the 6" pvc so it will hold more corn and then set cameras on them. I would also set a camera on your blind to see if you have any poachers taking advantage of your set up.

Just my.02

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                I would clear out a little section for your pop up to sit back in the brush. Conceal it with surrounding brush and make you a platform for the blind to sit on to help ease your caution of copper heads. I would also recommend pulling the spin feeders and adding some pvc feeders with a couple protein blocks next to them. Use the 6" pvc so it will hold more corn and then set cameras on them. I would also set a camera on your blind to see if you have any poachers taking advantage of your set up.

Just my.02
                Definite considerations. 4" PVC is easier to get but I would love 6" if I could find it and get the caps and Y for it.

Comment

Have you thought about selling it and possibly buying in an area with less pressure? That suxx when you put in time and money with no return.

Comment

I'm betting you have deer hitting those feeders, but it is probably at night. Is there ever corn building up under the feeders when you come to hunt?

If it were me, I'd move those feeders out from the open and put them into the brush a little and I'd move my blind in the brush as well. Like someone stated, you can elevate your blind too to get away from the snakes. I'd also consider separating the feeders a little more and give yourself different options for different winds if possible.

Make sure you have good access routes to and from those blinds as well. If the wind won't work for either setup, don't hunt it. Limit the amount of pressure on the place, even your brother in law throwing hand corn. If that isn't something he does consistently I wouldn't have him go at all. If the deer are hitting the feeders after legal shooting light then find where they are coming from and get in tighter to their bedding.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Have you thought about selling it and possibly buying in an area with less pressure? That suxx when you put in time and money with no return.
                      I couldn't sell. It's joined with family land. The part I hunt is combined with my dad's land. I'll keep it as long as family lives there. And land is an investment. I would like to save for my kids but not sure if they will even be interested in keeping it in the future. It has been a blessing for me.

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                      I'm betting you have deer hitting those feeders, but it is probably at night. Is there ever corn building up under the feeders when you come to hunt?

If it were me, I'd move those feeders out from the open and put them into the brush a little and I'd move my blind in the brush as well. Like someone stated, you can elevate your blind too to get away from the snakes. I'd also consider separating the feeders a little more and give yourself different options for different winds if possible.

Make sure you have good access routes to and from those blinds as well. If the wind won't work for either setup, don't hunt it. Limit the amount of pressure on the place, even your brother in law throwing hand corn. If that isn't something he does consistently I wouldn't have him go at all. If the deer are hitting the feeders after legal shooting light then find where they are coming from and get in tighter to their bedding.
                      I definitely want to move the blind and elevate it. Might buy one of the blind platforms from Academy for my pop up. Could probably move a feeder if I am able to move the blind.

Comment

Are you seeing lots of pigs??

I’d set up a feed pen and dump 100 lbs of corn in there, put a camera on it, and see what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                          Is there ever corn building up under the feeders when you come to hunt?
                          Curious of the answer to this question.

Also, planting 5 acres of oats wont cost that much and would likely draw in deer pretty regular once they find it. You can also plant Iron Clay Peas in the summer to keep them coming to a food plot year around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

During Veterans Day weekend, there was corn under the feeder.

Comment

I saw 10 deer Sunday morning and had corn under my feeder!

Comment

Working...
                              X