Hunting nowadays with illegals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting nowadays with illegals

Is hunting any more dangerous now with the increased illegal border crossing activity? I had a lease a few years ago in Laredo within a couple of miles from the border and never thought too much about it. Saw a couple while hunting one year, but never had any issues with theft, break-ins, altercations, etc. I'm wanting to get back on a lease and bring the family, but I now have 2 very young kids (2 and 4) and my wife is concerned about safety from illegals more so than rattlesnakes. What are you guys seeing/hearing? Are you doing anything different now?

I wouldn’t be on a lease where illegals were common. These days they are cartel employees not your average fella hoping to find a job

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      I wouldn’t be on a lease where illegals were common. These days they are cartel employees not your average fella hoping to find a job
      This right here. Why intentionally put your family in a increased risk? There are plenty of good places to hunt around Texas without the worry of what type of illegal is coming through your camp/Hunting Property.

Comment

This past years annual hunt we seen 10000% increase in visual activity. Stolen cars, police chases, attempted murder. I’m aware enough I will press on… but ain’t no way I’d put my family down there. We hunted 4 days and seen “ people” every day. Some ran and hid…. Some didn’t give a ______. It’s the worst I’ve seen it in 15 years from a “non documented trespassing person” sighting

Again I’m aware of where I am, my wife and kids….. ain’t

Comment

Its not an easy yes or no, IMO. I would be mindful of the particular area, the circumstances, and your family's experience with that environment.

You don't want to appear an easy target because most likely you are not alone.

My son didn't go down with me until I felt he was paying attention to his surroundings and understood the situation. Same with my nieces, nephews, or friends kids. We have smaller, more family friendly, places up north we take the kids and "train" them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by BRUTE 23; 11-15-2022, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
            You don't want to appear an easy target because most likely you are not alone.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
            This is why I’ve been carrying a full sized black pistola on my hip. (Glock 40 10mm)

I don’t ever want to have to use it on a human, but I do want them to see it from afar- and hopefully stay that way- afar.

I’m not in a high traffic area, but did get some on camera last year going north and some going south. We also had some pillage our camp for food while we were out on stand.

I was there last week alone for 3 days, my spider senses never tingled [emoji51].

I do wonder when I hear rocks getting kicked around in the creek bed if it’s humans, pigs or cows.
            I’ll leave that mystery for the creek to cypher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

tagged, been wondering the same. Some buddies are looking at a place for next year, 20ish miles east of Laredo. hwy359 actually splits the property in half so I’m curious if that’ll cause even more foot traffic

Comment

we are 12 miles from the border and have been over run with the traffic - so IMO opinion it depends on where your ranch is.

they have torn up our mobile homes, trashed our camp house, emptied our water tank, etc. Would not take my wife or young kids or grandkids down there right now.

As mentioned earlier many are not just illegals crossing - majority seem to be cartel hauling drugs - in all black, big back packs, and in a likely hood armed. We all carry pistols and remain on alert always

Comment

If you would put what county you hunt in or maybe what part of the county you hunt in this could be very helpful.

I hunted south east Duval county for 7 years that ended in 15 and am still in contact with the land owner. We went from seeing the occasional back pack to now I'm told having to put bars on the house because of break-ins and seeing large groups of illegals on a regular basis.

Comment

It’s a real problem! I’ve seen the blacked out from head to toe guys carrying large black backpacks as well. They look like trouble and not just someone coming over to mow your yard and feed their kids.

Break ins are common. Don’t leave your truck unlocked while you’re hunting either.

I stay armed and keep my head on a swivel. I hate that we have to do that, but our government has absolutely failed it’s citizens.

I hunt near Del Rio in Kinney County.

Comment

This makes me mad. Ridiculous that we should even have to worry about that within our border. I wouldn’t take my wife and kids down there

Comment

You guys are all so full of ****.

We do not have a problem on the border. Even our president says we don't.

Comment

No way I would get on a lease near the border, especially with kids. Heck Mexico itself is probably safer at this point.

Comment

Yeah if you guys could tag general locations of where you hunt, how far from the border, proximity to highways, etc it would be helpful. Without seeing it firsthand, what constitutes high traffic areas? Are we talking proximity from the border or towns? I'm not opposed to going more West than south of San Antonio, but I'm not convinced West is much better.

Comment

I hunt in near Encinal (Webb Co).
                              I don't like going to the ranch alone anymore if I'm staying the night. It's usually just me any my 13 y.o. (but he's bigger than lots of adults). I'm letting him hunt solo this year, but only in stands where not on a typical trail and he has good phone signal.

There are fresh tracks all the time on the ranch.
                              Fortunately, the walkers haven't torn up the place, besides trash left behind, but they have started ramming our gate to drive in and pick up the groups.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X