• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toddcaster View Post
    I buy fiesta brand carne guisada seasoning at H‑E‑B. WORKS GREAT ON VENISON

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This man speaks the truth

Comment

If you guys want to do Carne Guisada that is authentic Mexican style, use the recipe in this link. My wife has been using it now for a few years, and she tries to duplicate it just as it is written. At our deer lease, we usually all bring a dinner for each night we plan to stay. My camp mates always ask for this for "Mexican night"! And it's like chili or a big pot of beans, it's even better warmed over. Additionally, it is a pretty dish to cook. All the ingredients are fresh. The only substitution my wife makes is we use venison instead of beef most of the time.

With this recipe, the carne guisada is seasoned perfectly, and the combination of fresh vegetables and cumin is delicious. See why this recipe is such a hit!

Comment

Hank shaws from his hunter angler Gardener website is excellent and easy…

Comment

Easy carne guisada recipe for Tex Mex style or Mexican beef stew. Chunks of beef simmered in fragrant brown gravy with onions until tender.

Try this one. Use el pato tomato sauce half the can. And a diced Roma tomato. Use other half of El pato to make rice. I use my canned deer meat that I can with jalopeno and onion in it, can have this ready in 15 min.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
            If making for a family of 4, what measurements of seasonings? For those not experienced in cooking can you detail the process some? With the amount you make it must be good

5lb or so cube stew meat
            Barely cover with water in deep pot.
            1.5 TBSP chilli powder
            .5 TBSP of each rest of seasonings
            Can use some meat tenderizer season as well, will help tenderize the meat
            Boil 30 minutes or so until meat is done, crank heat down to simmer
            Little bit of flower and cold water mixed in separate bowl doesn’t need to be thick stir into simmering pot and stir until thick. Good immediately but usually better the next day as the meat will soften more.

You may need to increase seasoning a tad to your families taste but this will get you there.

Comment

Just made 6lbs with Fiesta brand seasoning. Hard to beat.

Comment

Meat church, seemed easy enough

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                    https://youtu.be/u7h2FIp-tMQ

Meat church, seemed easy enough
                    I've only made 2 recipes and I like this one and another. This one was very well rec'd by wife, son and his friend. It's a bit mild to me, but I'm cooking for all. Flavor is spot on. Also, purchase or make the best tortillas available.

Comment

It’s hard to beat this . I do add a can of hatch green chilies [emoji892].

Comment

Sounds like Fiesta brand seasoning is the ticket.

Comment

I use the Fiesta brand seasoning. Start by sweating down a diced onion and a Jalapeno or two, then add the meat and brown until the juices come out. I season with salt and pepper and throw in some minced garlic. Then add the Fiesta seasoning and let it simmer a couple hours. Typically add a little more Fiesta seasoning toward the end to thicken it up and get a little more flavor. It takes more of that stuff than you would think.

Comment

^^^ This right here.
                            We also use it with ground deer meat. It takes almost no time, and tastes great.

Comment

Following is my master recipe for carne guisada. It is an amalgamation of the recipes from Matt Martinez's TexMex cookbook, Fonda San Miguel cookbook, various other sources, and a little trial and error. It's lengthy because it's imbued with detail (for the novice cook--my daughter and her friends). Otherwise, it's very simple.

Carne Guisada_Master_+

3 tablespoons bacon grease or lard (or vegetable oil)
                              3-ish pounds of round steak or chuck roast, cut into bite size pieces (round steak) or slightly
                              larger than bite size (chuck roast)
                              6 tablespoons flour
                              1 sweet onion, coarsely chopped or cut into strips
                              2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch strips, OR 4 Serrano chiles, chopped (I prefer a combo of both)
                              2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Tex-Mex Seasoning (recipe below)
                              2 cups of beef or chicken broth, or water with Better Than Bouillon beef or chicken bouillon.
                              4 ounces tomato sauce (NOT from San Marzano tomatoes!) or 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes (husband prefers tomato sauce(
                              Black pepper to taste

Combine flour and TexMex seasoning. Dredge meat chunks in flour and TexMex spice, coating well.

In a heavy, 12-inch deep-sided skillet or Dutch oven, heat over medium-high heat, add bacon grease, and brown the meat thoroughly, stirring often, about 6 to 10 minutes. (Most recipes call for medium heat but I prefer a little Maillard charring on my meat so I turn the flame up a little higher.)

When most of the moisture is gone from the meat, add onion, poblanos, and serranos. When onion is translucent, add remaining flour mixture to the pot. With a heavy spoon or spatula, toss meat mixture and scrape the bottom of the skillet until flour browns.

Add broth and bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pot to release the fond into the liquid. When it simmers, , cover and lower heat. Cook and simmer slowly until meat is tender, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (You can also use your oven to cook low-and-slow. Set oven to 300-degrees and braise for 2 hours.)

Before adding tomato sauce, adjust gravy thickness to your liking by adding more broth (or water), if necessary. Simmer on medium heat for 2 to 3 more minutes. Add tomato sauce and stir. Season with pepper. Let it simmer for a few more minutes. (If you used fresh tomatoes, let guisada sit for 3 to 5 minutes—I usually let it sit longer—after turning off heat.)

Serve with:
                              Frijoles Refritos
                              Arroz Mexicano
                              Tortillas (we prefer corn)

Note: If you double the recipe, use only 3 cups broth. Do not double the broth.

Tex-Mex Seasoning
                              Based on recipe from Matt Martinez of El Rancho (Austin) and Mattito’s (Dallas)

3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin
                              3 tablespoons granulated garlic
                              2 tablespoons (table) salt
                              1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
                              1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon MSG (Accent)

Mix all ingredients together and blend well. Store in spice jar in cabinet.

This spice mix responds best when it is slightly browned during the cooking process. We will use this mix for most of our dishes. It keeps well in an airtight container or ziplock bag.

Note from Matt: When we salt and pepper different foods, it doesn’t make them taste the same. I use the same principle with these seasonings, except that I have added two more ingredients –garlic and cumin.

Proteins, carbohydrates, and oils change the character of a spice. So you can cook chili, taco meat, rice, sauces and so on, and your family, friends, or customers will never know it’s the same seasoning. This spice will have a fantastic blend that is light in salt. Carefully adjust the salt if needed

Comment

All of the recipes posted so far look great. Here is another that is very similar, and this is the only carne guisda I've ever tried to make. It turns out pretty tasty.

https://kentrollins.com/carne-guisada/

Comment

Working...
                                X