Civil War Diary & Sketches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Incredible piece of history! I’d love to read whatever you have. Keep posting
    same!

Comment

awesome

Comment

Awesome!!! Reminds me of the diary Costner had in Dances with Wolves.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

This is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow. Amazing. He apparently was a Pennsylvania boy. Allentown is close to where I grew up

Comment

Fascinating history. Thank you for sharing and I hope we get to read more.

Comment

that is awesome!! Love the drawings!

Comment

Incredible--thank you for sharing!

Comment

I'm caught up. Enjoying it sir.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wed. Jan 4, 1865
                        “Fort Federal Hill” for so it the place where I arrived at from York Hospital, Pa. on 9’th Jan. 1865 — Ia situated upon a rising piece of ground on the south eastern part of the city of Baltimore, and it is so, that it is able to command the whole of the town and the surrounding country for miles around, and the active portion of the bay, where lay the most important shipping & other ocean craft. It is in itself a port of great strength being entirely surrounded by a “lenevins de frair” and a ditch 30 feet wide, 10 feet deep and mounts heavy guns besides mortars and Napoleon Rifled cannon. — It is garrisoned at present by the 91st New York Infantry and Co. K of the 2nd Art. Regulars. — The scenery from the eastern bastion is truly grand. — The ramparts and the sentinels upon Ft. McHenry can be easily discerned at a great distance from the bay at a clear day, for instance at sunrise - when I beheld them this morning - I could easily discern the foldings of the flag as it floated in the breeze, forcibly reminding me of the gentleman who composed the Star Spangled Banner upon such a same morning as this one. — How great the distance this is from the fort to this I cannot say but it must be great. There are two other forts there, but what their names are I cannot tell.

Sat. Jan 7, 1865
                        Today I started to leave for the Regt Fort Federal Hill, Bait. After marching down to the Depot through the rain we learned that there had been a collision on the Road, which proved quite serious. It being impossible to proceed on account of the wreck, we were ordered back to the hospital until further orders. My friends were quite surprised to see me, they suspecting that I had been in the accident. I expect to leave now on Monday although we have not received orders to that effect. The rain changed into snow this afternoon, and tonight it is windy and cold.

Sun. Jan 8, 1865
                        This is the last day of my soujourn in the York Hospital.
                        Tomorrow I leave for the Regt. I feel quite sorry tonight at the idea of parting with my comrades. - Who knows when we will meet again? John Rush, a comrade of mine feels as bad at the idea of parting from me as I do from him. But it is ever the duty of the soldier to obey commands. Providence permitting we shall meet again 1 year from now. I amused myself today by drawing some of the boys on an envelope - viz — Jas. Ryan & ( ? ). The weather is rather cold tonight — yet it was quite pleasant at about meridian. Hope we will have a pleasant day tomorrow.

Comment

This is simply amazing. And even more amazing is that someone could read it and "translate" 1864 handwriting Thank you for sharing.

Comment

I have two ancestors who fought in the War Between the States. They did not leave a journal. We only have vague family stories. Reading your ancestors journal seems to connect me to my ancestors. Thank you for posting this. I read every word with delight.

Comment

Bet he never would have guessed that160 years later hundreds of people would be reading what he wrote on their phone.

Comment

Civil War Diary & Sketches

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                Bet he never would have guessed that160 years later hundreds of people would be reading what he wrote on their phone.

Ah, good point.

I wonder what the January7th “collision on the road” might have been?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X