Dirt bike for 10 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirt bike for 10 year old

My 10 year old son is asking for a dirt bike for Christmas. He’s never ridden one and I know nothing about them. Not wanting to break the bank, just in case he gets it and decides he doesn’t like it in 6 months. Anyone have any advice on brands, size, etc? Please keep in mind he has zero experience on them. A coworker suggested a Coleman mini bike. Any advice is much appreciated

I'd start him on a trail bike 4 stroke. Once he is more comfortable working the clutch and grows some you could upgrade to an 85.

Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha all make them.

Comment

Go used and have a good orthopedist on speed dial. :-)

Comment

I'd look at something like a CRF110 or a KLX110. These would be great for a child with zero riding experience.

If he really takes to it, he could out grow this bike very quickly though...

Comment

Prob a 60 cc !

Comment

My dad never bought me one, but a cousin had a mini-bike with a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower motor. I loved getting to go over and ride it around the yard and eventually down
            western Oklahoma dirt roads near Cement & Cyril. Long story short...I waited to buy my own Yamaha DT-125 with saved up money when I was 13 years old. At 14 I got my motorcycle license and I've been riding for 44 years now. My cousin let the mini-bike go to rust and hasn't ridden since.

I wouldn't invest in an expensive motorcycle when a mini-bike will gauge his interest just fine. I wouldn't recommend an ATV first off either, they give a false sense of stability.
            Last edited by Wampuscat; 11-12-2022, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                I'd start him on a trail bike 4 stroke. Once he is more comfortable working the clutch and grows some you could upgrade to an 85.

Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha all make them.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am not a dirt bike guy. But I know Yamaha made the PW50 and 80. Think they still make the 50 but that’s probably a little small. I had a kx100 a few years ago but that’s probably too big. The Chinese

However, do NOT get the Coleman mini bike. I don’t know if it was my stupidity in my 20s(okay I’m lying, 30s too) but those things are little death traps.

Comment

I went out and got a used kawasaki kx 60 for my youngest when he showed interest. Made him stay in 1st gear until he learned how to ride well. Those things will get up and go even with a grown man. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by 1sickLT1 View Post
                      I'd look at something like a CRF110 or a KLX110. These would be great for a child with zero riding experience.

If he really takes to it, he could out grow this bike very quickly though...
                      KLX110 is a great bike. 3 speed with no clutch. Great bike to learn on.

Comment

Do NOT get a mini-bike for him. Go to a Japanese motorcycle shop (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki) and let him sit on the smaller models. Make sure when he sits on it that both feet are flat footed on the ground to help build his confidence of it not tipping to one side or the other when he stops or starts. The first one you get for him should probably have an automatic clutch and electric start so he doesn’t have to focus on shifting gears or kick starting a standing bike. He can just have fun driving and building confidence. There are some models now that have a remote that you can control and limit their speed and riding area (GPS layout) and shut it down if you think he’s approaching Emergency Room limits. Normally second or third day in most cases. 5 foot ramps are normally second week. Depends on the kid. I was one of those kids.

If you don’t want to buy new, Good deals can be found on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Cycletrader.com and motorcycle dealerships. Everyone that starts with these size cycle’s usually upgrades shortly, loses interest, or are banned for life from ever getting on one again while you under parental care.

Don’t forget riding gear. Good Helmet, riding gloves, pants, jacket and riding boots. We didn’t have any of this stuff growing up and still bear the scars.

Places to ride. I don’t know where you live but dirt is much more forgiving then a gravel parking lot when you are learning. Some urban areas have kid friendly moto-cross tracks good for beginners. I was raised in a rural environment with thousands of acres and no supervision except for Dad’s saying “Have fun but don’t kill yourself” on when limping back to the house “Did you learn something not to do again?”

Anything you buy can be easily traded or resold. Heck, this may be the start of a fun family hobby.

Comment

Klx 110 IMO is too heavy for a new rider/10 year old. That’s the downside - I went through this as my son is now 12 and riding a 2 stroke.

Here’s my advice - find a used ssr 110 (auto / no clutch ) which will build his confidence and get you both to a point where you can find out if he really likes riding to make a bigger investment as he gets bigger and more experienced.
                          Last edited by gneimeth; 11-12-2022, 01:30 PM. Reason: Wrong bike

Comment

I have a 2018 Yamaha TTR-50 in good shape with title that i need to sell. My youngest grew 6 inches this summer and its a hair small for him. 830-928-6482

Comment

Thanks everyone. I’m afraid a 50 maybe too small. I am thinking a 70-80 trail bike would be good. Make sure his feet touch the ground and I don’t think those bikes would be too heavy for him. Thanks again !

Comment

Working...
                              X