Considering a Traeger pellet smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
    We have a Rectec and it's great. But the ignitor rod apparently died last night after 7 months. So there's that.
    It should be covered under warranty

Comment

From what I have read, Treager used to be pretty high quality but was sold and went down hill. The founder is now with Pit Boss and they're pretty great. We got a Pit Boss for my Dad recently and its awesome. Super easy to use and the price is amazing compared to others.

Comment

Interesting yall are saying RecTec. All my research is saying it's too close to choose.
        Compare top Pellet Grill brands and choose the best pellet grill for your money. Use our pellet grill comparison chart and learn which pellet grill is best.

I was leaning toward the Traeger Ironwood 650 or 885 since I can pick the up easily at HD. Guess I'll research RecTec more now for their equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          It should be covered under warranty

It is... I was just annoyed to figure it was out yesterday when I walked out with dinner.

Comment

It is... I was just annoyed to figure it was out yesterday when I walked out with dinner.
            I bet so.

Have you talked to customer service yet? Just curious how much of a hassle that might be if I have any issues.

Comment

DO NOT spend $2k on a Traeger of any model. If you have that budget or a little more look at Pitts & Spitts, RecTec or Yoder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Considering a Traeger pellet smoker

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                ^^^^^This. I bought a rectec for my son a number of years ago when he bought his first house. He uses the heck out of it and it is still going strong. I have the Pitts and Spitts and it has been flawless for the nearly 4 years Ive owned it.

I just got an email from P&S regarding a hybrid pit they are selling now that is a pellet grill and stickburner. You might check it out......I didnt see the price on it though.

Pitts & Spitts Hybrid

$5k for the carbon steel
                $10k for the stainless

Last edited by Mike D; 10-03-2022, 07:10 PM.

Comment

We have a Rectec and it's great. But the ignitor rod apparently died last night after 7 months. So there's that.

That’s not uncommon. It’s a good idea to keep a spare on hand.

BUT I’m a pinch you can use a propane torch to get the pellets going and once they get to smoldering they will take off on their own. The hot rod shuts off after a certain temperature anyway.

Comment

Pit Boss for $600 and save your $1400 for something fun.

Comment

I bought a 1150 Pitboss awhile back and it cooks great chicken and decent ribs. Every brisket and beef plate ribs I’ve cooked looked good and were tender but had zero smoke ring. I put the cover on it and just went back to my ASF stick burner for cooking these days. I wouldn’t overlook a PitBoss though, I have yet to have any issues with mine and I cooked a lot on it to give it a fair shot.

Comment

We love our RecTec. I researched the crap out of these things before we bought the RecTec. It's awesome!

Comment

Checkout UDS, its a set it and forget it and much cheaper. It will take a couple of smokes to learn the new drum but a whole lot cheaper. I've been using the UDS's for 10-12 years now, cant beat it for the price, even if you buy one ready to go. A DIY can be made up for less that 100.00 and it churns out brisket/pork just as good

Comment

I switched from traeger to Pitt boss. PB is much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Traegar makes a decent smoker, I had one for a few years then upgraded to a Yoder

Comment

Recteq 1250, it’s a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X