This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
    Anything is possible, but my expectations are still tempered. The reality is that the SEC west is stiff. I was curious so I looked at 247:

Flying in the face of Pollack is the fact that both Alabama and LSU, by the numbers, have more talented rosters than A&M. We all can agree that rankings only hold so much value. Then there is the coaching factor, player development, transfer portal, etc.
    I'll respectfully disagree on LSU's talent based on recruiting numbers from 2019 thru 2021. Orgeron literally ran the program into the ground after winning the NC. Did you watch any games last year ? LSU had approximately 50 players on scholarship and could barely dress out 70 players for each game. During the Bowl game vs. K State, LSU had 39 scholarship players on the field. The QB was a 5th-string WR that hadn't played QB or taken a snap since his HS days, 4 years prior.

The entire program has to be rebuilt and a whole new PROCESS has to be implemented. Kelly came in and fired/let go everyone associated with Coach O except the OL coach Brad Davis who coached the Bowl Game. Every coach is new including the S&C and Nutritionist. LSU brought in 15 players from the portal including 9 on defense. To reach the 85 scholarship limit, LSU could probably sign 30-32 kids in 2023. I think they will sign 27-28 and pick up 3-4 needed positions from the portal.

LSU has some talented players but few are proven and they have ZERO depth. Realistically, 7-5 or 8-4 would be acceptable for Kelly's first year. If LSU goes 10-2 and finishes 2nd in the SECW, Kelly should get National Coach of the Year.

Here is the skinny on LSU 2022

2 returning starters on Offense

QB - unproven position as QB1 will have no prior starts in the SEC. No clue what to expect from ASU transfer Daniels, and Nussmeyer played in 3-4 games last year and red-shirted. Anticipated QB1 leaves the team 2 weeks ago adding more confusion to the position.
    RB - 3rd and 4th string players from 2021, zero starts amongst the group. Their best RB Emery was suspended all of last year, and has to sit out the first 2 games this year. academics. Emery was the #1 HS RB in 2019. Huge disappointment for LSU fans.
    OL - 1 returning starter from 2021. 3 OL are from the portal with no prior SEC experience. Basically, 4 new starters on the OL.
    TE - soft like Charmin, a true FR may end up starting by mid-season (Mason Taylor, who is Jason Taylor's son - MIA Dolphins fame). LSU signed the #1 TE in the country in 2019. Played in 3-4 games and left after 1 year due to psychological issues.
    WR - 1 returning starter, Boutte who is a pre-season All-American. Very young at this position with lots of speed and potential.
    P/K - will also consist of 2 new players who were acquired from the portal. Zero clue about LSU's special teams. They could suck, or surprise everyone and be leaders in the SEC

5 returning starters on Defense

DL - LSU's only strength as they will be nasty and are very deep. Remember this name ... Maason Smith #0 , 6'5" 320lbs. 8% body fat, runs a 4.6. Smith is a freak of nature and a MAN amongst boys.
    LB - average to OK, 2 return with some experience. If Harold Perkins can learn the system he will start after several games. He showed up on campus in July.
    DB's (CB/S) - could be the worst in 20 years at LSU. 1 returning starter, 4 new players acquired from the portal, the remaining 5-6 players were either RS or 3rd/4th string last year with very limited game time experience.

My 2022 hopeful expectations are 8-4 as this entire team has to build chemistry and learn how to win. It will take Kelly 2-3 years to recruit his players as LSU desperately needs OL. Ain't no more country club atmosphere in Baton Rouge as it's all business where players will be held accountable. Looking forward to the future and having 1 or 2 surprising upsets this season.
    Last edited by Cajun Blake; 08-25-2022, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      I'll respectfully disagree on LSU's talent based on recruiting numbers from 2019 thru 2021. Orgeron literally ran the program into the ground after winning the NC. Did you watch any games last year ? LSU had approximately 50 players on scholarship and could barely dress out 70 players for each game. During the Bowl game vs. K State, LSU had 39 scholarship players on the field. The QB was a 5th-string WR that hadn't played QB or taken a snap since his HS days, 4 years prior.

The entire program has to be rebuilt and a whole new PROCESS has to be implemented. Kelly came in and fired/let go everyone associated with Coach O except the OL coach Brad Davis who coached the Bowl Game. Every coach is new including the S&C and Nutritionist. LSU brought in 15 players from the portal including 9 on defense. To reach the 85 scholarship limit, LSU could probably sign 30-32 kids in 2023. I think they will sign 27-28 and pick up 3-4 needed positions from the portal.

LSU has some talented players but few are proven and they have ZERO depth. Realistically, 7-5 or 8-4 would be acceptable for Kelly's first year. If LSU goes 10-2 and finishes 2nd in the SECW, Kelly should get National Coach of the Year.

QB - unproven position as QB1 will have no prior starts in the SEC. No clue what to expect from ASU transfer Daniels, and Nussmeyer played in 3-4 games last year and red-shirted. Anticipated QB1 leaves the team 2 weeks ago adding more confusion to the position.
      RB - 3rd and 4th string players from 2021, zero starts amongst the group. Their best RB Emery was suspended all of last year, and has to sit out the first 2 games this year. academics. Emery was the #1 HS RB in 2019. Huge disappointment for LSU fans.
      OL - 1 returning starter from 2021. 3 OL are from the portal with no prior SEC experience. Basically, 4 new starters on the OL.
      TE - soft like Charmin, a true FR may end up starting by mid-season (Mason Taylor, who is Jason Taylor's son - MIA Dolphins fame). LSU signed the #1 TE in the country in 2019. Played in 3-4 games and left after 1 year due to psychological issues.
      WR - 1 returning starter, Boutte who is a pre-season All-American. Very young at this position with lots of speed and potential.
      P/K - will also consist of 2 new players who were acquired from the portal. Zero clue about LSU's special teams. They could suck, or surprise everyone and be leaders in the SEC

DL - LSU's only strength as they will be nasty and are very deep.
      LB - average to OK, 2 return with some experience. If Harold Perkins can learn the system he will start after several games. He showed up on campus in July.
      DB's (CB/S) - could be the worst in 20 years at LSU. 1 returning starter, 4 new players acquired from the portal, the remaining 5-6 players were either RS or 3rd/4th string last year with very limited game time experience.

My 2022 hopeful expectations are 8-4 as this entire team has to build chemistry and learn how to win. It will take Kelly 2-3 years to recruit his players as LSU desperately needs OL. Ain't no more country club atmosphere in Baton Rouge as it's all business where players will be held accountable. Looking forward to the future and having 1 or 2 surprising upsets this season.
      culture

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        culture
        That culture is dead and gone. Give LSU 2 years and they'll be back competing for a title. If O can win one and Miles can win one and play for another Kelly will also.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
          That culture is dead and gone. Give LSU 2 years and they'll be back competing for a title. If O can win one and Miles can win one and play for another Kelly will also.
          OK

Comment

I hear you Blake! Somewhat the point of my post is that Pollack basing his opinion on past recruiting rankings isn't the greatest metric.

As for LSU, you can correct me but...1) Bringing up the bowl game numbers is a bit disingenuous. Many players were out because of COVID protocols?
            2) The recruiting and talent rankings are/were accurate for what they were at the time. What O did or didn't do with that talent or what the talent turned into is also part of what is produced on the field. Much to my point.
            3) Your post answered this question to a point, but LSU lost much of that paper talent last year due to various things, right? Including transfers, opt outs, medical, etc.

Lastly, the real issue is the 800 lb gorilla in the room and that is Alabama. Their year-in year-out recruiting makes them hard to topple from the top of the mountain. Players want to win and until they start losing a few more games on a regular basis, Sabin's starter-in-waiting system will continue to succeed.

Comment

#lsu

Comment

I see landrones is on the loose again...How you doing fella?

Comment

I keep my head up. LIKE a texan

Comment

DL - LSU's only strength as they will be nasty and are very deep. Remember this name ... Maason Smith #0 , 6'5" 320lbs. 8% body fat, runs a 4.6. Smith is a freak of nature and a MAN amongst boys.

I hear you Blake! Somewhat the point of my post is that Pollack basing his opinion on past recruiting rankings isn't the greatest metric.

As for LSU, you can correct me but...1) Bringing up the bowl game numbers is a bit disingenuous. Many players were out because of COVID protocols?
                    2) The recruiting and talent rankings are/were accurate for what they were at the time. What O did or didn't do with that talent or what the talent turned into is also part of what is produced on the field. Much to my point.
                    3) Your post answered this question to a point, but LSU lost much of that paper talent last year due to various things, right? Including transfers, opt outs, medical, etc.

Lastly, the real issue is the 800 lb gorilla in the room and that is Alabama. Their year-in year-out recruiting makes them hard to topple from the top of the mountain. Players want to win and until they start losing a few more games on a regular basis, Sabin's starter-in-waiting system will continue to succeed.
                    247's 2021 Team Talent Composite had LSU at #5 (903.53) and A&M at #8 (888.83).

They haven't released the 2022 composite, but the rosters are listed (Maybe they're waiting until fall rosters are finalized before finalizing and tabulating?) I didn't do a full calculation, but a quick check shows LSU currently lists 4 five-stars plus 26 four-stars, while A&M lists 10 five stars plus 46 four stars.

Similarly, Bud Elliot's Blue Chip Ratio (4&5 star talent relative to 2&3 star) has A&M at 70% (fifth highest) and LSU at 66% (seventh highest) for 2022.

Of course, none of those rankings/ratios take into consideration player age, experience or development.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Sorry, I got sidetracked with site admin issues, so I didn't get to finish with additional thoughts. Maybe later.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

LSU never really had covid issues, maybe a handful of players. The issue was kids opting out, claiming nagging injuries, suspensions for positive marijuana tests, poor academics, and wanting to leave the program. The whole BLM ordeal in Feb 2020 started the downward spiral. LSU was the first school to organize a march on campus. The players never told Coach O b/c he was a vocal supporter of Trump. The media (local and national, ESPN, CNN, etc...) ran with this story adding more gasoline to the fire. Many of these kids chose to quit on their coach because he essentially quit on them. The players took on the personae and attitude of Orgeron. They saw him not caring and chasing skirts so they DGAF.

LSU had a boat load of 4/5-star kids out of HS never develop and ended up transferring to other programs, quitting football, or retiring from the game due to medical issues. One kid (3-star OL) quit the team to pursue his dream of competing on America's Got Talent. 3-4 kids left the team due to smoking weed. Similar things happen at ALL schools as the problems at LSU went into overdrive.

Ponder these recruiting numbers:

2019 - 26 signed, only 4 remain on the 2022 team
                        2020 - 25 signed, only 7 remain on the team
                        2021 - 27 signed, only 16 remain on the team.

These are the years that would be building depth and experience for 2022. Out of 78 signed players, 27 are on the 2022 roster. Orgeron did a horrible job leading the program which is why it was hemorrhaging so bad. Attrition happens everywhere even at Alabama. The difference is Saban has 3rd, 4th, and 5th string guys that are 5-stars and ready to play.

Comment

Can't wait for HS football at 7? . . Woodlands vs northshore . . Att . .

Comment

Not reading all that long winded bull****.

Heisman show on ESPN. Two Horns in the top 10. We gonna suck though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

LSU never really had covid issues, maybe a handful of players. The issue was kids opting out, claiming nagging injuries, suspensions for positive marijuana tests, poor academics, and wanting to leave the program. The whole BLM ordeal in Feb 2020 started the downward spiral. LSU was the first school to organize a march on campus. The players never told Coach O b/c he was a vocal supporter of Trump. The media (local and national, ESPN, CNN, etc...) ran with this story adding more gasoline to the fire. Many of these kids chose to quit on their coach because he essentially quit on them. The players took on the personae and attitude of Orgeron. They saw him not caring and chasing skirts so they DGAF.

LSU had a boat load of 4/5-star kids out of HS never develop and ended up transferring to other programs, quitting football, or retiring from the game due to medical issues. One kid (3-star OL) quit the team to pursue his dream of competing on America's Got Talent. 3-4 kids left the team due to smoking weed. Similar things happen at ALL schools as the problems at LSU went into overdrive.

Ponder these recruiting numbers:

2019 - 26 signed, only 4 remain on the 2022 team
                              2020 - 25 signed, only 7 remain on the team
                              2021 - 27 signed, only 16 remain on the team.

These are the years that would be building depth and experience for 2022. Out of 78 signed players, 27 are on the 2022 roster. Orgeron did a horrible job leading the program which is why it was hemorrhaging so bad. Attrition happens everywhere even at Alabama. The difference is Saban has 3rd, 4th, and 5th string guys that are 5-stars and ready to play.
                              Race baiters like Ryan Clark fanned the flames. There is a special place in hell for people like him!

Comment

For a minute there I thought we be getting ready for an installment of point/counterpoint

Comment

Working...
                                X