No announcement yet.

Employers: Hiring tricks and tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they salt and pepper their food before tasting it don't hire them. How do they know it's not to salty already. That's what they use to say.

Comment

I’ve found the problem is the employees with tons of ambition hunger and drive, will do their job great, then get bored and want to move up, but I have no where UP the ladder to reward them to...

I need a solid guy who will come do his job, do it well and come back the next day to do it again. Not everybody I hire needs to be management material, but everybody needs to show up!

Lots of great thoughts on this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hire multiple employees in food and beverage every year. I start every interview with “Tell me about yourself”. You would be surprised how few can do that. You would also be surprised how many tell you things that could eliminate them. I typically take them a pretty good distance from the door. I am measuring if they can move fast enough to keep up. I offer them a beverage. Even if they do not accept I go get me one. While I am heading to the kitchen I watch to see what they are doing. If they immediately jump on their phone chances are they will have trouble staying off it at work. I have learned over too many years that some of the best interviews are not the best employees. My theory is that employees that are always looking for the bigger and better deal get lots of practice interviewing. Employees that are reliable and work hard seldom get any practice.
        Last edited by talltexasshoote; 03-24-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
          I’m not a jock, but I’ve found the guys I’ve hired that played sports were harder working, easier to train, and didn’t get their feelings hurt easily compared to those that didn’t.

I came to this realization when I had a couple lacrosse players staining boards out in the sun on a 100 degree day. I couldn’t get them to come inside and take a water break. I asked them if it was any hotter than being in a lacrosse helmet and they said “nope.” They were just happy to be making money.

Hate to say it but there's something to this. I had to dig a pretty decent trench in my yard. Figured out really quick I was too old to do it. Two 16 year old baseball players weighing about a buck-nothing who lived in my neighborhood showed up and had it dug in about 2 hours...in 100 degree heat. Worth every single penny I paid. Told my wife when they left "those boys are gonna go places in life."

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
            The company I ran the welding shop for, I was employee #154. When I left that company after 18 years we were on employee #4000 and something. We went through a lot of haystacks.
            That's 200+ employees hired/fired/ per year!! How many employees were y'all working at any given time??

Comment

Geez, none of these replies apply to big corporations. Skills and references are far down the list after gender and diversity requirements are confirmed. Citizenship is a plus but may or may not be required. Once clear for gender, diversity and citizenship, approved interview questions are provided by HR dept and address behavioral abilities more than job knowledge.

Comment

1: Poach. It's not uncommon and there is nothing against it. You likely know of a few good employees that work for your competition. If they truly value them, they won't let them go over a couple bucks.

2: Agree with the athlete/country folk background. Not so much the military.. Those folks have discipline but lack in outside thinking and big-picture view IMO.

3: Ask about their hobbies. Do they play video games or do they hunt/fish/play golf etc? Anyone who busts their tail for fun and to recharge their batteries has strong potential to do the same for you on the daily.

Comment

Do you have any other employees that may be able to refer friends/acquaintances? I've seen a lot of good talent get brought to the company through employee referral.

Comment

Working...
                  X