Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using portable electric fencing for chickens/pigs/turkeys/etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wickll View Post
    I like this idea. But it really made me laugh , picturing a chicken flying in circles.
    Yep, they barrel roll straight into the ground, get up and try again. After 5 or 6 unsuccessful attempts to make it over the fence, they give up.

Comment

We’ve used netting for goats, pigs, cattle, chickens and even pony containment.
      It’s great for moving the area around. No commitment to permanent fencing.
      My wife had the idea of Driving the ground rods near a hose bib/trough. The ground stays saturated and made that fence HOT as heck.
      I tested it with the back of my hand and mistakenly still had a knee on the ground.
      Folded my arms up and dropped me to the ground.

The “poultry” netting for chickens with free choice feed and water. Clip their wings and they stay happy with what they have.
      Premier One Netting and I’ve seen Tractor Supply Carries a line of netting now as well in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by animalhse View Post
        We’ve used netting for goats, pigs, cattle, chickens and even pony containment.
        It’s great for moving the area around. No commitment to permanent fencing.
        My wife had the idea of Driving the ground rods near a hose bib/trough. The ground stays saturated and made that fence HOT as heck.
        I tested it with the back of my hand and mistakenly still had a knee on the ground.
        Folded my arms up and dropped me to the ground.

The “poultry” netting for chickens with free choice feed and water. Clip their wings and they stay happy with what they have.
        Premier One Netting and I’ve seen Tractor Supply Carries a line of netting now as well in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Dang. You got lit up! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

Does it work for feral hogs?

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
            I was going to tell you to get one of those underground fences and put one of those collars on all of your animals but decided not say that.
            That's what I thought he was talking about. I wanted to see videos of chickens with collars on their necks, and then their reactions to getting shocked. I am 100% sure it won't work with chickens, it would be hard enough to keep the collars on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              I'm curious about this, too. I saw a guy who had a net fence from Gallagher that was designed for poultry. He said it worked great to keep predators out.
              We used to have chickens at one point years ago, then turkeys later. We used shrimp net over the tops of the pens to keep chickens in and predators out. It works great, we never lost a single chicken to coyotes, foxes, bobcats or birds of prey. We never lost a chicken other than from natural causes. Back in those days, we lived in a shrimping town, and knew people with shrimp boats and had no trouble getting old shrimp nets. I have read posts about people crying about loosing chickens to birds of prey, the problem is pretty easy to fix, without killing birds that could get you in a lot of trouble.

Comment

Thanks - that's good to know.

Comment

Working...
                X