DIY- minisplit- has anyone done one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY- minisplit- has anyone done one?

The house we’re moving to has a bonus area at the end of the garage that’s 12x30. I was thinking of turning it into a man cave and want a/c and heat. I see they now have DIY mini splits. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve put a couple in. From my experience they aren’t built any better than a window unit, but cost more.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
      I’ve put a couple in. From my experience they aren’t built any better than a window unit, but cost more.

That’s good to know. With only 350 sq ft would you recommend a windows unit instead?

Comment

We are about to put one in our shop next week. This will be our first experience with them.

Comment

I had a Mitsubishi 1.5 ton minisplit put I a 50x50 sq ft garage converted to a sewing room at my house here in Hext. We love it. Very economical and efficient. Didn't do it myself because they had to draw a vacuum on the system and balance it at start up. Took them 4 hrs. to install. Contractor came out of San Angelo.

Comment

Not sure what a mini split would cost for an area that size but you could probably get a window ac/heater unit for about $500. Will require a 240V outlet due to the heat function.

Comment

^^^ not with same seer value ^^^^

Comment

I put one in a 30X30 room. I set the inside and outside unit and ran the piping, but ended up calling a contractor to pull a vacuum, check the freon charge, and start it up. It has worked great for us. It is quiet and keeps the room very comfortable in the summer. The heater is not adequate and we have to use a space heater to keep the room warm.

Comment

I installed 2 units in a 1000 sg ft barndominium for a friend.
                  1 had a single evaporator inside and the other ran 2 inside units off the compressor condenser unit.

We had no problems with the Single unit and it cools and heats really well.

However on the double, we had issues with the factory flare ends on the high side line. We used the special lube and thought we were careful not to over tighten but that high side line is tiny.

I found the first leak when we could not get it to hold vacuum and fixed it. Had to get a special flaring tool and learn how to make bubble flares. Luckily we had extra length in the line set.
                  The second one failed later on and he lost some of the Freon. He had a real HVAC man come out and he repaired the leaking fitting, recharged the unit and it is working fine now.
                  Last edited by pontiac; 07-12-2020, 08:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Mini split

Window units are not what they used to be, takes 2 people to work on, parts are tuff to get and a lot of contractors don't mess with them because of cost of service is 2 employees, they are not as quiet, take up window space, not cheap when you go to the larger size, the mini splits are quiet, require a 3" hole through the wall, much higher seer, parts can be bought local for Daikin and Mitsubishi, which are some of the best and yes there are a few install things that should ne done, the dbl flare, the torque is important on the flares, both lines to be insulted, but you can buy it that way, I work for Daikin but have sold others as well and the proper install is key, I have been in the business for around 30 yrs, also you can buy these now day for just a little more than a 1 or 2 ton window unit and the seer which means efficiency will be much higher than a window unit. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                      The house we’re moving to has a bonus area at the end of the garage that’s 12x30. I was thinking of turning it into a man cave and want a/c and heat. I see they now have DIY mini splits. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I have three in two metal buildings and love them. check out MrCool.com

Comment

I put 2 in on my cabin build. I used the Mr cool diy 12k btu. Only one that uses 115v . Easy to install and cools the place great.

Can connect it to WiFi and control from phone anywhere. Dead silent, can't hear it at all. Good for 500sf .

They are about $750 and qualify for a $300 tax credit.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I installed a 9000 btu unit back in 2014 and it was a slam dunk install. Had a friend pull vacuum on the lines after install was complete and it has been working flawlessly until just recently. I’ve got another unit coming to replace this one and will do the install myself again. With a little mechanical knowledge and ability, most people can DIY. I bought $100 worth of tools and will do this install myself, start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                            I put 2 in on my cabin build. I used the Mr cool diy 12k btu. Only one that uses 115v . Easy to install and cools the place great.

Can connect it to WiFi and control from phone anywhere. Dead silent, can't hear it at all. Good for 500sf .

They are about $750 and qualify for a $300 tax credit.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to this one? The one I saw is $1400 from them on sale for 1286. It did include heat however.
                            Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Originally posted by cwt1026 View Post
                              Window units are not what they used to be, takes 2 people to work on, parts are tuff to get and a lot of contractors don't mess with them because of cost of service is 2 employees, they are not as quiet, take up window space, not cheap when you go to the larger size, the mini splits are quiet, require a 3" hole through the wall, much higher seer, parts can be bought local for Daikin and Mitsubishi, which are some of the best and yes there are a few install things that should ne done, the dbl flare, the torque is important on the flares, both lines to be insulted, but you can buy it that way, I work for Daikin but have sold others as well and the proper install is key, I have been in the business for around 30 yrs, also you can buy these now day for just a little more than a 1 or 2 ton window unit and the seer which means efficiency will be much higher than a window unit. Hope this helps.

This is very good info. I appreciate it. For 350 square feet do you recommend a 110 or 220v unit? I have 220 right next to it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X