I feel the need for speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel the need for speed

I am thinking of going to a light weight arrow set up for deer and such to flatten the trajectory a bit, and really, just cause i want to. So i am looking at the gt velocity 340 shafts and an 85 grain expandable, maybe rage? Not sure on the expandable as i have always used fixed blades. Any suggestions on a setup? Or is what i have listed good enough? That arrow/head combo will save me about 45 grains. Has anyone tried a rig like this and been horribly disappointed? I am hoping to get 310ish out of it. I have a 330ibo bow, 29.5" draw, and 68or 69 pounds draw weight, i cant remember

Thanks

Does light arrow weight and mechanical broadhead belong in the same sentence ? You be the judge.

Comment

I get pass through on deer with my 420 grain victory VAPs and mechanical NAP Spitfire Double-cross everytime. Even got a pass through on a shoulder of a Texas deer.

I'm shooting 70lb, 29.5", (Martin Max 33) and they fly at 292 fps. Super flat. Love it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by antiparadigm; 03-11-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

What speed are you getting with the current set-up? I’m getting 308-310 wit my 09 XForce. 29” draw at 72-73lbs. Arrow is 28”, weighs 410g total, plus a 100g rage BH. If I remember correctly, the obo of my bow was a little over 340.

Max out your bow weight first then see how much faster you can get with that?

Comment

I bet the KE is awesome at 308 fps!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            I am thinking of going to a light weight arrow set up... Has anyone tried a rig like this and been horribly disappointed?

Thanks
            You will likely get a LOT of opinion on this, on both sides of the fence.

As a rule I think anything over about 280 fps needs to shoot mechanicals; so you are on the right track there. I'm not saying you can't shoot fixed, but it is much more difficult to tune the arrow at those speeds with fixed blades. About the only fixed blade I would recommend above 280 is the Ramcat.

With low momentum and a mechanical you will need to tune the arrow perfectly. Even with good shot placement a wobbly arrow will not penetrate as good as it should. Bareshaft tuning and maybe even line tuning will get the job done.

I shot light arrows for years and I wasn't horribly disappointed, but there is a reason I shoot heavier arrows now.

You need to make some arrows and shoot them yourself to see what you like, someone else can't make your mind up for you. If you don't, there will always be that nagging question in the back of your mind...

Comment

I would have to chrono it, i cant remember, but i am thinking i am in the 285ish area right now. So if that is right, 300ish may be about the best i can get, but still that should flatten it out quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post

As a rule I think anything over about 280 fps needs to shoot mechanicals; so you are on the right track there. I'm not saying you can't shoot fixed, but it is much more difficult to tune the arrow at those speeds with fixed blades. About the only fixed blade I would recommend above 280 is the Ramcat.

With low momentum and a mechanical you will need to tune the arrow perfectly. Even with good shot placement a wobbly arrow will not penetrate as good as it should. Bareshaft tuning and maybe even line tuning will get the job done.

I shot light arrows for years and I wasn't horribly disappointed, but there is a reason I shoot heavier arrows now.

You need to make some arrows and shoot them yourself to see what you like, someone else can't make your mind up for you. If you don't, there will always be that nagging question in the back of your mind...
                Thanks for the input, I just want to make sure i am not completely off the rails with this idea, before i buy the components haha. For deer, mostly doe, did you run into any major issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post

if youre having trouble with fixed blades and anything over 280 fps sounds like you have a tuning issue... im getting 312-316 out of my bow and shoot nothing but fixed blades out past 80 yards grouping with my field tips

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Does light arrow weight and mechanical broadhead belong in the same sentence ? You be the judge.

IDK, that is why i am asking. I have 0 experience with mechanicals. I will mainly just be shooting does

Comment

You won't get flatter trajectories out beyond 40-50 yards because that light weight arrow will not retain its velocity. I played with what you are doing for years, but going to a lighter arrow equals more speed, noise, shock, wind effect, deflection and less penetration.

Going to mechanicals over a fixed broadhead has few advantages, maybe shooting in high winds and that is marginal. Every year we have hunters at the ranch and some are shooting mechanicals and every year we see wounded deer that would be dead with a fixed blade. They do work good on broadside shot.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                        You won't get flatter trajectories out beyond 40-50 yards because that light weight arrow will not retain its velocity. I played with what you are doing for years, but going to a lighter arrow equals more speed, noise, shock, wind effect, deflection and less penetration.

Going to mechanicals over a fixed broadhead has few advantages, maybe shooting in high winds and that is marginal. Every year we have hunters at the ranch and some are shooting mechanicals and every year we see wounded deer that would be dead with a fixed blade. They do work good on broadside shot.
                        This is the kind of info i am looking for, thanks for your reply. The deer that are wounded that would be dead with fixed blades, why are they only wounded with the mechanicals? Do they break, not open, etc? I am in no way trying to start a brand war, but do some mechanicals fail at a higher rate?

Comment

I would have to chrono it, i cant remember, but i am thinking i am in the 285ish area right now. So if that is right, 300ish may be about the best i can get, but still that should flatten it out quite a bit.
                          The flatter path will be minimal between 285 and 300 fps.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I just want to make sure i am not completely off the rails with this idea, before i buy the components haha. For deer, mostly doe, did you run into any major issues?
                            The major issue you will deal with is shooting at moving targets, and they ALL move. Even the best tuned arrow will not enter cleanly on a moving target. That's one reason we shoot heavier arrows with more FOC; it just ups the odds on marginal shots.

Watch youtube videos, you can tell the people shooting light, fast set ups; the arrow only gets 1/3 or 1/2 way penetration but not due to bad shots necessarily, but hitting a moving target causes a huge loss of penetration potential. A light arrow doesn't have the potential (momentum) to spare like a heavier, higher FOC arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas View Post
                              if youre having trouble with fixed blades and anything over 280 fps sounds like you have a tuning issue... im getting 312-316 out of my bow and shoot nothing but fixed blades out past 80 yards grouping with my field tips
                              Thanks for that tip, I'll have to look into it...

Comment

Working...
                              X