Fall Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall Plots

Almost time to get started on my fall food plots. My plan is to spray the fields in late August and plant late September or early October.
    Last 2 years I planted Turner Seeds Fall Plot Mix which stayed green until mid June. This year I plan to plant Oats and Wheat and then plant spring plots between mid April and mid May.

Sounds like a good plan. Mine will be similar. Start spraying the last of next week or the week after, planting wheat/rye/medium red clover mix in most plots. Might throw in some Austrian winter peas just because I can

Another plot will be split between Whitetail Institute Edge on one side and wheat/rye mix on the other. Just experimenting with the Edge to see the results. Yet another will be Whitetail Institute clover for a perennial plot.

Comment

I’ve sprayed a little bit and have quite a bit more to do in the next few weeks. My clover has done good over the summer in my plots and pastures, so they’re still eating pretty good off of that. If all goes according to plan, I’ll end up turning over about 14 acres at the house and about 20 over at camp.

I plan on planting my usual wheat/clover/turnip mix. I will probably have one plot at the house just kale & turnips.

Comment

I like the way you think!

Comment

Following thread - when you say 'spraying fields' - can you help a newbie out? What does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
            Following thread - when you say 'spraying fields' - can you help a newbie out? What does this mean?
            Usually means hitting the current vegetation with herbicide. Kill the current established plant, so as to not compete with new plants trying to establish.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
              Sorry! Spraying glyphosate to kill what ever is currently growing. I plant with a grain drill. I do not till the ground prior to planting. Spraying kills the roots and makes it easier to plant with the grain drill.

Comment

Where are you getting the Turner seed from?

Comment

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
                  Where are you getting the Turner seed from?
                  Ordered directly from Turner Seeds.

Comment

The dead plant stems and roots apparently help the rain water soak down into the soil
                    The thatch of the shredded dead vegetation hold moisture in the untilled soil.
                    Buck forage Oats, wheat and elbon rye broadcasted work well in our sandy soil.
                    But I am just an amateur farmer.

BP

Comment

I’m curious what y’all are doing with your perennial clover plots in preparation for fall? I had a good stand of clover through the spring but it’s gone and mostly Bermuda/weeds now with some chicory mixed in. We don’t use herbicides.

Leave’em be?
                      Crimp?
                      Mow only?
                      Mow and disc?
                      Mow and till?
                      Fertilize?

Comment

I’m mowing my designated areas now. Will burn and disc over mid/late September. Plan on planting first or second week of October as long as forecast looks good.

Comment

I will chisel plow my plots this year in October, I have some hard pan in two of my plots near the creek. No spraying and no shredding just chisel plow, disc and plant. Daikon radish, Elbon rye, turnips. I used to plant oats but once the rye takes off, it kills out the oats and wheat.

I wish I could burn my plots this year, but that is too dangerous in my area, even when its wet.

I still have Sunn Hemp growing and the deer have all the leaves stripped off the stalk, that stuff will be in my spring plots from now on. I do recommend using Sunn Hemp it holds up well to drought and grazing.
                          Last edited by Radar; 08-18-2019, 07:14 AM.

Comment

For perennial clover, kill grass with Clethodim in the early stages of growth. Kill weeds by mowing the clover at about 8” high after it blooms and goes to seed. It will bloom several times in spring and early summer if we’re talking white clovers. I don’t know why you don’t use herbicides, but if you don’t you are S O L on grasses for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              Sounds like a good plan. Mine will be similar. Start spraying the last of next week or the week after, planting wheat/rye/medium red clover mix in most plots. Might throw in some Austrian winter peas just because I can

Another plot will be split between Whitetail Institute Edge on one side and wheat/rye mix on the other. Just experimenting with the Edge to see the results. Yet another will be Whitetail Institute clover for a perennial plot.

When do you plant your clover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X