2019 Hagerman Seg. B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
    Curious what “equipment” was mentioned? I’m hunting Seg C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was all he said
    I was guessing game camera but never heard

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      I threw in the towel at noon

Friday started off slow but by dark I thought I was in a great spot

Saturday I saw 2 deer and by lunch decided to relocate about 100yds NE
      Spooked a doe taking stand down and never saw another deer

This morning I had what I thought was my "golden ticket" coming my way as it was just getting light enough to shoot. Then it got closer and I could tell it was probably a spike but then it got across the creek and it had about 1" splits on each side. No biggie because I was not hauling a spike out of there.
      At 0720 I had doe and I guess the water was too cold in the creek for her hooves because she got to the water and turned back up the bank and followed the creek
      By the time it got to noon I was tired and done. Too late to start moving then so I got down and got all my stuff together. Decided to throw it all together and make one trip out. I made it but it was a beating

I consider my hunt a success. I saw some TBH members I had not seen in a few years, I made a new friend and I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen while hunting (and got to watch him and his lady friend hang out for over an hour) and saw way more deer in 2.5 days this hunt than the 3 I saw on my first hunt
      I spent 30.5hrs in the stand and I am better for it

Congrats again to all who punched their tag and bravo to the ones that stuck it out until dark today

Good seeing you again. Fun hunt but I’m beat.

Did we pass on wildlife drive this afternoon? Couldn’t tell if it was you.

Comment

Best hunt I’ve ever had at the Hagermans didn’t kill anything but missed my doe this morning at 15 yards arrow hit little limb. Had deer around me all day Friday and Saturday bucks were cruising. Brother n law got his golden ticket yesterday. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	24599667Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	24599668

Comment

Originally posted by Perkins7581 View Post
          Best hunt I’ve ever had at the Hagermans didn’t kill anything but missed my doe this morning at 15 yards arrow hit little limb. Had deer around me all day Friday and Saturday bucks were cruising. Brother n law got his golden ticket yesterday. [ATTACH]980656[/ATTACH][ATTACH]980657[/ATTACH]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2410.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	24599669

Comment

Originally posted by Wbeene13 View Post
            Buddy shot a wide 8 at last light. Waiting on permission to cross private property where he found last blood.

Found the deer now to get the cart and go back in

Comment

In for pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Wbeene13 View Post
                Found the deer now to get the cart and go back in

Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Perkins7581 View Post
                  Best hunt I’ve ever had at the Hagermans didn’t kill anything but missed my doe this morning at 15 yards arrow hit little limb. Had deer around me all day Friday and Saturday bucks were cruising. Brother n law got his golden ticket yesterday. [ATTACH]980656[/ATTACH][ATTACH]980657[/ATTACH]

You putting misses in that Elite?

Comment

Any total numbers?

Comment

My son Connor and I had a typically-tough Hagerman hunt on my 5th and his 1st time to hunt there. There were close calls, what-ifs, and loooong periods without any critters in sight. No arrows released. As I wrote in a Facebook post, bowhunting requires a number of things to align for an opportunity – you gotta have the right deer in the right place at the right time and position for an ethical, lethal shot. And often that just doesn’t happen. Especially on hunts like we do at Hagerman.

On both Friday and Saturday I had bucks walk within slam-dunk range of my stand, totally clueless that I was there. But they weren’t legal bucks. A classic “what if”…..what if a mature Hagerman monster had been there instead? Or even “what if” a nice doe had appeared instead?

Saturday morning Connor had a shooter buck trailing a hot doe, coming straight to him, everything looking great for a shot. Except there were also 3 young bucks trailing behind the big boy. He finally had enough of that nonsense, and turned to confront them with a snort-wheeze. Meanwhile the doe came into a shooting lane at 30 yds. Connor chose to wait for the big buck instead of shooting the doe – surely he would continue tending her. Sadly, the buck instead chose to make a run at the youngsters and scattered them. The doe fell in behind, they all headed away, and just like that a sure thing changed into a close call.

Just a couple examples of Hagerman challenges. Connor ended up seeing a lot of deer both Friday and Saturday, so I was pleased for him to have a lot of activity for his first time at Hagerman. I saw 3 total. We had to leave late in the morning on Sunday to allow time for Connor to get back to Houston at a decent time, so we had to forego part of the hunt. Neither of us had seen anything that morning so who knows if we missed out on anything by leaving early.

Hunting at Hagerman is a paradox. You spend a ton of time and energy and forego a lot of sleep, all for the slim chance at a monster buck. You will most likely instead get your proverbial butt handed to you and go home exhausted and empty-handed. It can be hard to justify, especially to a spouse. But darned if you still can’t wait to go back and try again and again! Such is the allure of Hagerman.

So congrats to all who connected with deer this weekend; we will be back someday and try again!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Finally found the deer after tracking blood for well over 1000 yards. He died in a creek. Finally checked the deer in at the check station around 1130pm. Glad my buddy got him a buck after traveling all the way from North Carolina for the hunt. I wish i would have been able to get a deer but I had a blast for my 1st time hunting Hagerman. Saw over 40 deer in my 3 days in the woods just never had a shot at one.

These are the photos of my buddies deer. He gave his permission for me to post pics as long as I blurred out his face which I have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          You putting misses in that Elite?
                          I’ve been shooting a recurve all year that’s what I took to Hagermans. When I bought that Elite from you I took it home and wrapped it in plastic to keep ur good luck on that bow for my New Mexico mule deer hunt in January!

Comment

Anyone get a final count on deer taken?

Comment

Well I survived my 3rd round of the H. I actually held up better this year than years past but if I ever get drawn again (big IF with going to TPWD) I will probably be over 50. Hope I still got it in me to do it again.

Thursday I was putting stand together and see a doe trotting towards me. A big horse of a doe so I stop and step over against the tree trunks and her and a giant H monster walk right by my tree. Chip shot under 20 yards and she checks up and just stands there. She is looking around but the buck never took his eyes off her. She moved he moved. They finally trotted off down the trail never to be seen again. Only if it was Friday! Friday I saw double digit deer. Lots of doe and one nice shooter that was real wide and a little trash on one side. Not as awesome as the Thursday buck but would have been proud to shoot him. The swirling winds had them changing trails faster than I was changing clothes this weekend and I just couldn’t get the right deer in right place. Will make a bowhunter go insane. Saturday and even Sunday I had better winds and I had 5-6 young bucks a day parade right by the stand in the trails I needed my golden ticket or shooter to take. I hunted till dark Sunday and only time my boots touched the ground in daylight was to help Ghost haul out his great H deer. I am beat up, sore and snotty but I made it through. I would be ready again by Seg C if they would let me. I think crazy swirling winds (literally from N to S every couple minutes) on Friday and the fact bucks were locked down with one doe, really hurt our chances this weekend but still some great deer taken. Good luck to Seg C and congrats to all the A and B hunters who got a deer.

The other thing I found interesting this year was all the out of state hunters CA NY and several others. Last time I was here there was a large group from KY staying in camp ground. They all put in and whoever doesn’t get drawn is camp ***** for the week while their buddies hunt. Anyhow. Just found it interesting

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                                Good seeing you again. Fun hunt but I’m beat.

Did we pass on wildlife drive this afternoon? Couldn’t tell if it was you.
                                Possibly

I checked out and took Wildlife on way to 82

I was in an older white Tacoma with black brush guard

Comment

Working...
                                X