Highly recommend "Midway"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highly recommend "Midway"....

It's just so rare that they make a good war movie where they don't put a bunch of politically correct BS in it. The movie was, for the most part, historically accurate, entertaining, and highlighted the heroism and sacrifice of the Americans.

It looks great!

Comment

I’ve been really looking forward to seeing that one. Probly have to wait for it to hit Netflix or something though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wife and I saw it today great movie!

Comment

Just finished battlefield 365 - USS enterprise to get a little historical perspective for this movie. Been ww2 Pacific carrier war buff since I can remember. Fascinated with it... can't wait to see this move.

Comment

We saw Midway Friday night. Great movie.

Comment

I watched it Saturday and thought it was lame at best.

It was fairly accurate historically but if you don’t know the history, you likely won’t get it from this movie. It bounces around so much it is hard to follow and completely glosses over some fairly important and heroic parts of the battle.

An example is the Yorktown receiving three direct bomb hits by a Japanese attack and going dead in the water. The Japanese thought the Yorktown was done for and left her burning. The Navy repair crews managed to put out the fires, repair the holes in the flight deck, get the boilers lit and the ship back underway. When a second Japanese attack came later, they hit the Yorktown again thinking it was a different carrier. The movie barely mentions the first attack on the Yorktown and completely ignores the heroic action by the Yorktown crew to save her and get back underway and the second attack where the Japanese thought it was a different carrier.

There are other such examples but no need to detail them here.

The acting was okay and the graphics were okay.... if you really aren’t concerned with history. I have read a couple of books on the Pearl Harbor attack (including the excellent Day of Infamy by Walter Lord) and don’t remember the Japanese planes flying between building in downtown Honolulu to strafe civilians.... while still carrying their drop tanks.

If someone liked it, awesome. I am glad that I saw it so it wouldn’t keep me wondering how good it would be.

Historical? Probably for the most part but it wasn’t easy to follow the importance of the sequence of events unless you already know the story.

I was ready for an awesome remake of the original Midway. Unfortunately, even with the weakness of that Midway in some areas, it is a better movie.

In my opinion.

Comment

The wife and I saw it Saturday night and overall I wasn’t impressed honestly. I’m honestly not a huge history buff so I don’t know all the details about the battle of Midway. However as mentioned the graphics and acting were sub par for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really enjoyed Pearl Harbor from a few yrs ago, I will watch Midway as well. I'm not a history buff per say and I understand this is a movie, it's made for entertainment purposes not for historical educational purposes. I love hearing about or reading about "the greatest generation"! Alot of men and women who knew what it truely meant to sacrifice and be brave.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                    I watched it Saturday and thought it was lame at best.

It was fairly accurate historically but if you don’t know the history, you likely won’t get it from this movie. It bounces around so much it is hard to follow and completely glosses over some fairly important and heroic parts of the battle.

An example is the Yorktown receiving three direct bomb hits by a Japanese attack and going dead in the water. The Japanese thought the Yorktown was done for and left her burning. The Navy repair crews managed to put out the fires, repair the holes in the flight deck, get the boilers lit and the ship back underway. When a second Japanese attack came later, they hit the Yorktown again thinking it was a different carrier. The movie barely mentions the first attack on the Yorktown and completely ignores the heroic action by the Yorktown crew to save her and get back underway and the second attack where the Japanese thought it was a different carrier.

There are other such examples but no need to detail them here.

The acting was okay and the graphics were okay.... if you really aren’t concerned with history. I have read a couple of books on the Pearl Harbor attack (including the excellent Day of Infamy by Walter Lord) and don’t remember the Japanese planes flying between building in downtown Honolulu to strafe civilians.... while still carrying their drop tanks.

If someone liked it, awesome. I am glad that I saw it so it wouldn’t keep me wondering how good it would be.

Historical? Probably for the most part but it wasn’t easy to follow the importance of the sequence of events unless you already know the story.

I was ready for an awesome remake of the original Midway. Unfortunately, even with the weakness of that Midway in some areas, it is a better movie.

In my opinion.
                    My guess is that some of that was left on the cutting room floor. Unfortunately, a lot of detail gets left out of movies made more for entertainment than as a documentary. I have read a good bit about Midway, so I knew the whole story going into it. The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that not a single Wildcat was shown in the movie, though they played a big part in defending the American carriers. They did embellish in the number of Japanese planes shot down by SBD's, and they showed B 25's attacking the Japanese fleet, when, in actuality it was B-17's. As I said, for a pure entertainment type of movie, it was pretty good and accurate.

Comment

My cousin saw it over the weekend. We both read a lot of history so if he gave it the green light I was going to make the wife go with me to see it. He didn't go into detail but said he was very disappointed. I'll still check it out when I can watch at the house.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        My guess is that some of that was left on the cutting room floor. Unfortunately, a lot of detail gets left out of movies made more for entertainment than as a documentary. I have read a good bit about Midway, so I knew the whole story going into it. The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that not a single Wildcat was shown in the movie, though they played a big part in defending the American carriers. They did embellish in the number of Japanese planes shot down by SBD's, and they showed B 25's attacking the Japanese fleet, when, in actuality it was B-17's. As I said, for a pure entertainment type of movie, it was pretty good and accurate.
                        I thought those were B-26 w shown. B-17s did attack from high altitude as well as a few B-26 in low level runs.

Comment

thought everyone on the green screen hated Midway for mixing other people's meet. i still say they make great sausage.

Comment

It wasn't about Pearl Harbor, although the Pearl Harbor attack was important to include in the movie about Midway. They didn't go into great detail about Pearl Harbor for that reason, I'm sure. It told the story of Midway pretty well. As stated, it wasn't a 100% historical account of everything. But it's a good movie. It tells the story in an entertaining way, and it wasn't full of unnecessary gays, political correctness, climate change, etc..... It was just a good old fashioned movie about American exceptionalism and victory. At least that's what I got out of it.

Comment

If you are looking to Hollywood for a documentary, I'm afraid you will be disappointed at least 100% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X