Question for ice & drain crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've gone two weeks.

I was recently given some Wildebeast when hunting with J-J Matt that was in the walk in cooler for 2 weeks then I didn't get to it for another week while kept on ice. It was as good as I've had!

Think about it, steaks are wet or dry aged for 21 to 60 days. The only difference is when wet aged they're vacuum sealed so the fear of the edges becoming water logged isn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Yes. Tilt the cooler with a brick, log or whatever to let the water and blood drain. You don't want the meat sitting in ice or blood.
      x2

Comment

Question for ice & drain crowd

Yep, I’ve done longer as well. Also if you have a garage fridge with room to spare, they can come in real handy in a pinch. mine right now..

Comment

Your good. That’s imo the absolute best way to butcher game.

I’ve had some rough smelling meat and processed it in this method and it’s been awesome.

Comment

My FIL processes all of my deer and exotic meat and he does a great job!

14 to 21 days he leaves in the cooler iced down but not soaking in the water or in the fridge to age the meat before he de-bones it. Best tasting and most tender wild meat I normally taste each year comes from this method.

Comment

For those who soak on ice like me, you can buy a simple metal shelf rack which is plastic coated. Time and place in the bottom of the cooler. It will keep your meat about 1 inch off of the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                Yep, I’ve done longer as well. Also if you have a garage fridge with room to spare, they can come in real handy in a pinch. mine right now..
                My uncle has an old convenience store 2 door drink cooler in his shop which works great for this.

You'll loose a little meat to the outter skin turning hard but that's usually trimmed off anyway. It's great for the aging process.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                  I've iced em down for 14 days before...zero issues
                  Me too, with kids and full time jobs sometimes the timing just aint right. I have even moved it to trays in the fridge.

Comment

I usually leave mine for about a week, stretched it to 10 days though.

Last two years have been using this to keep the meat out of the water, drain twice per day. Been working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      My uncle has an old convenience store 2 door drink cooler in his shop which works great for this.

You'll loose a little meat to the outter skin turning hard but that's usually trimmed off anyway. It's great for the aging process.
                      I bet that works really well for cooking/aging meat!

Definitely is a little meat loss but I think I came up with a solution. I’m saving the dried meat I cut off, in addition to hind quarter bones, and I’m going to make a venison stock with.

Comment

Working...
                      X