No announcement yet.

2020 “modified buffalo” fall plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took a tour this afternoon through the plot Lola and I hunted the other evening to see what they were keyed in on (pretty much knew). The oats and wheat throughout the plot was all showing browse. As always the turnips and brassicas look beautiful but show extremely low usage. The organic matter they produce will be their only real purpose. And I still have no proof after all my years of food plotting that a deer will eat a winter pea
    Attached Files

Comment

I am the same way! I can grow some Badarse winter pea,but deer never touch them. I have been having ALOT of action on my 2 acre plot. I will check it this Sunday after I hunt.

Mine have never touched a turnip or winter pea

Do you ever mow yours to start new growth? Mine is getting 8-12 inches tall now

Comment

Never have, but if they are getting past palatable I wouldn’t rule it out. Won’t hurt the small grain, probably end the brassicas. Typically by time my grains play out, the clover is taking over, and by time it’s gotten too mature it’s spring green up

Comment

I have grown some beautiful plots of PTT,radish,DER and have yet to see evidence of deer usage

Has anyone in east texas had success with brassicas as a whitetail forage?

bill

Comment

I got lots of brassicas left. Of all varieties

Small grains look like a putting green. They could probably use a shot of N to green back up, but I’ve got plenty of tonnage and enough browse + protein going so I’ll put that money back in my pocket.

I’ll let these run it’s course and drill spring mix into it
            Attached Files

Comment

The nice 8 that had moved in was shot twice in the last week of muzzleloader by same hunter and not recovered... he was pretty regular on me at protein and plot before and late last year too. Maybe he survived the second shot too

Comment

Originally posted by TreeDaddy View Post
                I have grown some beautiful plots of PTT,radish,DER and have yet to see evidence of deer usage

bill
                Bill, the only brassica that I’ve ever had eaten by deer is daikon radish. They will continue to be a staple along with wheat in my fall plots.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Bill, the only brassica that I’ve ever had eaten by deer is daikon radish. They will continue to be a staple along with wheat in my fall plots.

Originally posted by TreeDaddy View Post

bill

I’m with Drycreek, the primary reason I have radishes and turnips in the plot is OM accumulation and compaction breaking. They will stay in every winter mix until I think those two problems are completely fixed.... regardless of if they are eaten a single time or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great planting follow along. What variety of peas were you using, and do you plant the same plots in peas multiple years in a row? Reason I ask is the first year I planted peas I actually had pod production, but thereafter the deer don't let them get past the 2 leaf stage.

Comment

In spring I plant IC Cow peas. I plant them every year. This is first year ever to get pod production and still have peas available for forage. When I went to this method, I was able to sneak the planting past the deer vs drawing them with plowed dirt. I also got about a 3 week head start. Once the deer found them they were boot top high and the deer couldn’t kill them then.

... that’s my theory anyway. Lol

Most tonnage I’ve grown by a long ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        In spring I plant IC Cow peas. I plant them every year. This is first year ever to get pod production and still have peas available for forage. When I went to this method, I was able to sneak the planting past the deer vs drawing them with plowed dirt. I also got about a 3 week head start. Once the deer found them they were boot top high and the deer couldn’t kill them then.

... that’s my theory anyway. Lol

Most tonnage I’ve grown by a long ways.
                        That is great to hear. How much acreage of the IC are you planting?

Comment

Lowfence, do you plant any clovers? Great plots

Comment

These plots are a hair over an acre... but there’s 2 and are close enough to make it seem 2+

There are clovers in the mixes, but I don’t cater to them. I have every species there is on the place that grow volunteer. If the want it, it literally everywhere. I see little use of it anywhere until March- April. Nothing will compete in preference, tonnage and simplicity against IC peas IF you got 2 acres or more.

Comment

My plot is very tall and not tender anymore. If I plan on platnting Spring Lablab/Peas, do you recommend planting into my standing winter plot?

Should I shred it down once now to promote fresh tender growth for the 30-45 days and then grain drill it and shred it again to help cover seed? Curious on your thoughts

Comment

I have shred oats when they got too high with good results, and I do plant legumes directly into my standing oats/wheat/cereal rye every year. can't speak for OP, but I don't do a follow up shred once I plant...but sometimes I will do a gly burndown. Depends on time of year, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X