Renting Lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting Lenses

Anybody ever rented lenses? There's a place in Houston that rents some and they have the Canon 300mm f/2.8 for $35/day, a 1.4 teleconverter for $10/day, and the Canon EF400mm f/2.8 for $60/day. I'm thinking about going this route for when I need these lenses instead of paying the $1200 or so for the f/4 lenses I can rent these 40 times and get the better lenses to use. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Doesn't sound to bad. I guess the big question is how often do you think your going to use it?

I know if I had some 2.8 lenses they would be getting a heck of a work out all the time, renting would be a good choice for me to see which one to buy.

Comment

Issue is that it would take 40 times to have paid for the f/4 lense.....I would have to rent it 74 days to have paid for a 300mm f/2.8 or 125 days to pay for the 400mm f/2.8. Will I rent them alot, during deer season definitely. Will I use it more than 74 or 125 days in a 2-3 year period, which is what it would take me to save for a $4,000-$7,000 lense, I'm not really sure. I figure I'm in the field 30-40 days a year, so I'm thinking renting could be an excellent option for me because more times than not I will be using the 400mm if I had to guess. I'm sure I will rent the 1.4 teleconverter until I can convince my wife I need to spend the $350 or so to buy my own.

Comment

I rent mine from lensrentals.com . Looks like a 7 day rental with insurance for a 400mm f/2.8 comes out to about $45/day.

Comment

I know Casey's done this before and was impressed. I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this.
          Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Forgot to mention that if you pick it up on Friday, they are closed saturday and sunday, so you get the whole weekend for the price of a single day, which is a huge bonus when I'm just heading down to the lease for a couple of days.

Comment

What is the name of the place.

Comment

I've rented from Light Tec in Houston twice. Took the 300 f2.8 non-IS for a spin both times. I think it's money well spent on a lens you'll likely never be able to justify. I've also rented other lenses from www.rentglass.com and www.lensrentals.com. Very nice experiences with both. It's a good way to see if you'll like a lens before you buy it.

Here are some shots from the 300 f2.8 rented from Light Tec:

Comment

Nice pics Casey. That first buck looks familiar.

Comment

Working...
                  X