Snack Stick Mix free of Junk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snack Stick Mix free of Junk?

Anyone have a good source of a snack stick mix that is free from nitrates, MSG and gluten.

My son has a rare disease that he cannot have any of that junk in his foods.

With something like snack sticks your going to have a hard time finding a recipe that doesn't call from cure #1. I mean you could do it without the cure but you lose that safety buffer of possible food born parasites. If there is any recipes that don't call for nitrates you can probably find it in the link below.

Comment

There are other ways to cure without Nitrates, just not sure where to find and get mixes or recipes to do it.

Comment

look at sausagemaker.com. They sale a few organic spice kits, believe they use celery juice powder instead of instacure

Comment

Swreeder70 you are right, there is other ways to cure without nitrates but the reason you use the cure is for food safety. Another way i have read but havn't looked into is using Koji. Koji is a fungus used in fermenting and curing meats. Some of the guys i follow on Salt Cured pig use it to cure whole muscle and make salamis with it. Here is like to give you a little info on it.

Last edited by Jason85; 11-15-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Just placed an order from Sausagemaker.com

Organic Snack Stick Mix
            Celery Juice Powder (organic cure)

Will see how this works out.

Comment

Originally posted by swreeder70 View Post
              Just placed an order from Sausagemaker.com

Organic Snack Stick Mix
              Celery Juice Powder (organic cure)

Will see how this works out.

Swreeder70, you might want to look into using celery juice powder before you use it... It is naturally high in Nitrates. Here is link to see for yourself.

Comment

Quite familiar with that video. Lets just say that in supporting someone with this medical condition you learn a lot more than you care to. That video is funded by the "meat institute" and misses some facts and comparisons.

Sodium Nitrate, Nitrate and Nitrites are all different and how you get there sometimes is the difference.

Comment

I really like Sausage Maker Supplies. They are always super helpful. We have 5lbs of snack sticks in the smoker right now. Gary is the guy to talk to there. And he will actually answer the phone if you call.

Comment

Just wanted to report back that I went with a bunch of natural mixes from the Sausagemaker.com and it all turned out fantastic.

We did a 10lb run of natural snack sticks and a 10lb run of Summer Sausage. We did 100% venison. Added a cup of ice water, the recommended amount of spices, celery power for cure and a package of fat free milk powder to each when mixing.

All I can say is WOW, very impressed at how well everything turned out.

Need to shoot another deer so we can make a pile more!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by swreeder70 View Post
                      Just wanted to report back that I went with a bunch of natural mixes from the Sausagemaker.com and it all turned out fantastic.

We did a 10lb run of natural snack sticks and a 10lb run of Summer Sausage. We did 100% venison. Added a cup of ice water, the recommended amount of spices, celery power for cure and a package of fat free milk powder to each when mixing.

All I can say is WOW, very impressed at how well everything turned out.

Need to shoot another deer so we can make a pile more!
                      Did you just use celery juice powder instead of #1 or #2 in a recipe? Or buy a mix with the celery powder? Did you replace the fermento in the summer sausage with something?

Comment

So both of the organic mixes from sausagemaker have everything in them except cure. There is no Fermento used in either recipe.

For cure you can use instacure or replace with Celerey Juice Powder per the directions. I bought the celery juice powder from Sausagemaker.

https://www.sausagemaker.com/natural...nds-s/1986.htm

Comment

Working...
                        X