Lee Ranch 3-23-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lee Ranch 3-23-15

Little bit of a delay since we were there but I have been busy since I have been back.

We were at the Lee on a four day exotic, ram, pig hunt, there were 5 of us in the group and all on the same package. All of the reviews that I found on the ranch prior to us going were great with lots of success, so the fact that it was forsale didn't worry me.

The ranch house is great, I wouldn't have any reservations if I was to take my wife, kids, or just a group of guys like we did. I feel the ranch is nice enough for all of the above.

When we arrived we were told that it could be tough hunting. The spring had sprung and everything was green! We seen some nice quality animals when we were going to and from stands, i chased a beautiful black buck for a few days, seen some nice axis driving around, 0 while in the stands, and a few of the guys had a bunch of Aoudad on two different sets.
    We did a few stalk hunts for pigs during the day. One of the days we had perfect wind for the stalk and all of us had an opertunitie to either shoot a pig or shoot at a pig. This was by far the best time of the hunt for most of us, we have our share of pigs here in east tx but we all enjoyed the stalking part of it.

All in all we enjoyed the hunt, we had times that were low and times that were high. The guide Carlos, worked to help us set some new stands, and tried to make it a good experience. He understands that they need some more animals on the place. When we were there the quantity and quality on the Rams is low, there was only 1 Sika Buck on the property, low number of black bucks, and only a handful of shooter Axis. They did have a good amount of hogs and some really nice Aoudad.

The Lee does have a great tracking dog, NACHO!!! This guy is the real deal, he helped track down a pig and aoudad in a matter of minutes!!!

I enjoyed it enough to go back, but I would pick a different time of year, when the green stuff is dead, and would like for there to be a massive restock. We were not looking for a shoot in the barrel type hunt but wasn't wanting a scavenger hunt either.

Out of five of us we all did shoot something. One guy lost a pig, two of us recovered a pig, one just an Aoudad, and the last guy shot a pig and aoudad.
    Attached Files

Thanks for the review. Seems like a great place.

Ray

Comment

Good review. Very similar to another one in the same timeframe. Good lodge, good guide, simply fighting low animal population.

Comment

Okay but why are they selling hunts for animals they don't really have high enough in populations of to give their hunters a realistic chance to get them? I don't understand how any business can do that in good conscience. If you are low on animals at the time (which I guess is understandable if you are trying to sell a place) just tell hunters you can't book that package or at least tell them up front what the limitations are. You know, before they pay.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          Okay but why are they selling hunts for animals they don't really have high enough in populations of to give their hunters a realistic chance to get them? I don't understand how any business can do that in good conscience. If you are low on animals at the time (which I guess is understandable if you are trying to sell a place) just tell hunters you can't book that package or at least tell them up front what the limitations are. You know, before they pay.
          It's not that we barely have the exotics,.. except for the sika,.. just for all else,.. like the blackbuck, we are not POWER STOCKED heavy with them.

Definitely have large numbers of aoudad. I did the chopper fly over and the axis are there and good numbers ( just secretive as ever to get on one )

Better rams to be brought in,. and more bb and sika for sure.

Hard hunt with all the green and all over .
          Plan is to close come after last hunt next month, POWER STOCK and take the pressure off till sept - reopen and SLAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slam like the proof on the facebook shows this past fall and winter ! Critters dropping EVERYWHERE !! loved it.

good review by the way Who took that awesome picture btw ?
          ( arrow thru the head and all ) hahahaha

Comment

good review by the way Who took that awesome picture btw ?
            ( arrow thru the head and all ) hahahaha

They had a part time camera man out there! Lol

Enjoy your time at home, maybe we'll see you in the fall!!!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TBrandum; 04-15-2015, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X