Butchering Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butchering Advice

Well, I've got the basics of butchering a deer down pretty well, but I would like to know how to cut chops or a rack out of the backstrap. I'd especially like to know if anyone has been able to cut a "porterhouse" out of the tenderloin/loin...going after an axis in a couple weeks and would love to break it down into some "fancy" cuts.

I've done it by hand, but it's a lot of work. If you have a bandsaw, cut the fore and hindquarters off, then split the spine lenthwise. The "porterhouse" are going to come the the 2-3 ribs closest to the hindquarter. I like to leave some of the rib on the chops and french it. Looks nice on the plate.

If you don't have a band saw, you need to split it with a hack saw. I take off the fore quarters, remove the saddle and work with it on a board in the kitchen. I've done it a couple times, but it's a lot of work. I'd have to think real hard before I did it again.

Comment

If you have a band saw or a good hand saw it will be alot easier. Start by splitting the carcass down the middle of the spine so you have two halves. Next, cut between the next to the last and last rib, splitting the half into a quarter.This will require the saw to cut through the backbone. Now you should have two fore quarters and two hind quarters. The hind quarters are where you will find the "Finer" cuts; t-bones, sirloin, porterhouse. The seperation of the ham (round in beef) from the loin requires the removal of the sirloin tip. With the skin side of the hind quarter laying skin side down, use your fingers to locate the knee cap. Just past the knee cap, cut around the knee cap and into the ham until you hit the leg bone. Turn your knife and follow the leg bone up towards the pelvis. Cut until you hit the hip joint. Now cut down away from the joint. The Sirloin Tip will look similar to a football and makes a wonderful roast that is completely boneless. Set the tip aside, and take your saw. Where the backbone makes a turn towards the tail, count up three and one half joints and cut from where you took the tip out across to the backbone. Once you cut through the spine and hip joint, you should be able to complete the cut with a knife. Now you will have two pieces, one ham and onbe loin. The loin will yield sirloins, porterhouse, and t-bones. Start at the face where you seperated the ham from the loin and cut of four to five steaks. You will see the longer hip bone begin to get longer and slowly move away from the backbone. Once it does, you will need to cut what is called a wedge. This is where you will square up the short loin and cut the hip joint out. Once you cut the wedge the next two-three steaks shoudl be the Porterhouse you are seeking, then you will be able to cut the t-bones.

If you need any help let me know.
      This is the same as how we used to cut hanging beef. Same principal, just a smaller version. I have processed my own deer this way it it seems to yield more.

Good luck.

Comment

sawz all works good if your dont have a ban saw

Comment

thanks, everyone. I'll let you know how it goes...

Comment

Working...
          X