Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 105mm 1:1 Macro EX DG - Canon Mount

Initial Impressions...

I picked this lens up today for $250 and quickly realized I needed a tripod. Mine was unfortunately at the office for some stupid reason so I went about things hand held with a high ISO. First let me say you need a lot of light to hand hold this lens using F8+ and anything less than F8 you have a working focus in the mm range. You can see the working range in this picture:

Full Frame resized, no cropping

The lens is incredibly sharp when you have it in focus, and I can't wait for my tripod. Here is the mortar between two bricks on my house. This was in the sun and I could still get high shutter speeds at F13 and ISO1600

Full Frame resized, no cropping

A few more lily pics... both full frame resized, no cropping

The lily pics were all shot with fairly low light inside and hand held but I can tell the potential of this lens is going to be tremendous when I actually sit down and take my time. The bee's are going to be harrased tomorrow if I can get home in time to catch them still in the sun.

I will update this review as I use the lens more...

I want one now! Nice shots Kevin. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Nice! Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun with that one. Makes me want one too.

Comment

Cool shots!

Speaking of high ISO, I just found out this weekend that my camera (30d) has a custom function setting that allows me to crank up to 3200!

Fun, fun, fun!

Comment

Wow awesome pics man!

I gotta get an SLR. But, a bow comes first lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
            Cool shots!

Speaking of high ISO, I just found out this weekend that my camera (30d) has a custom function setting that allows me to crank up to 3200!

Fun, fun, fun!
            You just figured that out? (slapping forehead) My 20D has it but I haven't found it to be very useful.

Comment

Congratulations Kevin. I can't wait to see more. I've been wanting to pick up a macro myself.

Comment

Do a fly.

Comment

Thanks guys! I can tell its going to take a lot of patience but is still going to be enjoyable. I usually don't shoot over ISO400 because I've come to enjoy the buttery smoothness that is ISO100. The noise just takes away from the pic so much. I am going to try out that noise ninja program and see if it helps at all.

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                  Do a fly.
                  Oh I will! Bee's first thou because they only seem to congregate at my house when the bushes out front are blooming.

Comment

I usually don't shoot over ISO400
                    When you get away from the 10D, you'll realize what you've been missing. They really improved the noise starting with the 20D and up.

Keep posting pics from the lens. I have my eye on the Canon 100 f2.8 and some extension tubes.

Comment

I would like to own a designated macro lens, but frankly, I don't understand them. There seem to be so many options. What are the considerations in choosing one?

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                        When you get away from the 10D, you'll realize what you've been missing. They really improved the noise starting with the 20D and up.

Keep posting pics from the lens. I have my eye on the Canon 100 f2.8 and some extension tubes.
                        I don't doubt that at all! Upgrade bug is here, but trying to decide between new blinds at the lease or new camera body

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                          I would like to own a designated macro lens, but frankly, I don't understand them. There seem to be so many options. What are the considerations in choosing one?
                          Going to start this off with IMO...

You want something with 1:1 macro. A lot of lenses are labeled macro but they are not true 1:1 macro lenses. This means that the lens is capable of producing a life size image on the sensor.

You want something with a decent working distance. This means how far the end of the lens is from the subject. I think the sigma is like 6 inches and the Canon 100m is a bit longer.

With that said, there aren't a whole lot of lenses to choose from in the Canon mount line-up that give you both of the above. Most macro shooters said don't get anything under 90mm if you want a decent working distance and anything over 110mm was out of my budget for a starter macro lens. I was trying to decide between this Sigma and the Canon 100mm macro f2.8 when I found the sigma for $250 used. The canon is going to run you around $350-$400 used, but from all reports its a superior lens with respect to bokeh, auto focus and the fact that the length of the lens doesnt change at all. If I decide I want to continue shooting macro, I will sell this lens for a Canon 100mm macro or get something like a 150-180mm macro.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post

Have you thought about adding extension tubes to the 50 1.8? I've been wanting to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by finatic View Post
                              Have you thought about adding extension tubes to the 50 1.8? I've been wanting to try it.
                              I have seen pics of that and it works. From what I read the down side is an extremely narrow DOF (like less than a MM) and a very short working distance. You can pick up tubes for pretty cheap thou and use them with more lenses than just the nifty fifty.

Comment

Working...
                              X