Need advice on cooking a pig whole.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on cooking a pig whole.

I want to cook about a 50-60 pound pig on a smoker with a side firebox. I am going to skin it, gut it, cut off the head and feet and cook the rest whole. Any advice on how to do it? Baste, rub, inject, or otherwise. Thanks.

Bownanza's Team Roto-Rooter has all the experts

Comment

I would try cutting it down the back and cooking it as halves. With that big of a hog, wrapping it in foil to seal in the moisture may be out of the question. I bet it might be good if you injected it with some liquid seasoning and let it sit overnight before smoking it.

Comment

I cook alot of 175 to 225 lbers. We split them down the back, inject them with our favorite bbq sauce thinned with vinager and coat them with BBQ sauce. 10 to 14 hours at 190 to 220 and they will fall apart. If you get any hotter than that you need to foil the thin parts.

Comment

small pig

i have a small piglet that i kept whole. about the size of really big house cat, any thughts on whether it will work to put in on the rotisserie on my gas grill, also usng the smoker part to add flavor?

or do i need to splt it?

thanks, do not want to mess it up!!

Comment

Originally posted by dhays View Post
            I want to cook about a 50-60 pound pig on a smoker with a side firebox. I am going to skin it, gut it, cut off the head and feet and cook the rest whole. Any advice on how to do it? Baste, rub, inject, or otherwise. Thanks.
            I cooked one yesterday that size on that kind of pit, and it came out fine.

Rub it about 24 hrs ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. I made a small rack shaped like a capital I out of a cedar fence picket and tied the pig to it. Tie on a couple wire handles and use the rack to turn the pig every once in a while. When it's done it will be fall apart tender, and the rack will help you get it off the pit in one piece.

Keep your pit around 225*. Mine took about 9 hours. I wrapped it in HD foil after about 4-5 hours.

Comment

I lay some thick bacon on it while smoking to keep it moist. After 4 or 5 hours of smoking, wrap it in foil and finish it out for several more hours until it's falling off the bone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_3470.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	23837534

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_3472.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	23837535

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Man the pictures with the bacon look good! I'm gonna have to try that.

Comment

Another tip, there is no need to wrap it in foil if you sear the outside really well. I will typically marinate a pig over night with whatever I feel like that day(italian, mustard, beer,soy sauce, tiger sauce, lemon juice just as some examples). Then sear the meat over a hot flame to lock in the moisture, then back it off to around 275-300 and let it go. I will bast from time to time to keep the outside moist.

Comment

I am smoking a 40 pounder on wednesday for a sportsmans club fundraiser. I am going to inject the whole thing tomorrow and vacuum seal it. I was also thinking about rubbing it with seasoning and mustard before I smoke it. Does anybody have any other helpful hints or DO's and DONT's. Thanks for the help.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Working...
                      X